FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Need help IDing old Blaster kit
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem there because I didn't have an email address from a legitimate ISP. They wouldn't let anybody in that had a free email address to keep out sock puppets and spammers. What email address did you apply with? If it was hotmail or yahoo(and now even AOL because they are giving out free addresses) that may be why you never got approved. You can talk to synasp over at propcircle. He might be able to help you.
Jedirick
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

darkknight0667 wrote:
Registration there is only open for about 2 weeks every 3 months or so. Plus, they're so afraid of the Boogymen that they've enacted a policy whereby you need an e-mail account with a paid service (no hotmail, gmail, AOL or any other free service accounts) in order for your membership to be accepted.

And my friend, we let in free email just before the end of registration and immediately got hacked for extending that courtesy. If a couple admins with Cpanel access had not been online at time of the hack it would have been severe. This hacker knew exactly what he was doing and was stopped four times in a seven minute period that we know of. On the internet, Boogeymen are real.
enero
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy wrote:
I had the same problem there because I didn't have an email address from a legitimate ISP. They wouldn't let anybody in that had a free email address to keep out sock puppets and spammers. What email address did you apply with? If it was hotmail or yahoo(and now even AOL because they are giving out free addresses) that may be why you never got approved. You can talk to synasp over at propcircle. He might be able to help you.

Oh yeah, I read the rules. I used a legit email address. I actually found the approval email in my junk mail folder yesterday. It just took them some time to approve me I guess. but now it's too late, as they seem to have cancelled the account (which i guess they do if you dont activate your account right away). I emailed them, but at this point, I really dont care too much anymore. I'm settling here very nicely Smile
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found this place more fun lately myself...the RPF has been pretty lame since I got in. It must be me Smile
Jedirick
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy wrote:
I have found this place more fun lately myself...the RPF has been pretty lame since I got in. It must be me Smile

It comes, it goes. When focused on specific prop areas there will be dry spells. Since BR is a biggee with me, that's why I'm here! Of course if I post something cool to see I'll post here and there and propcircle as well which has a couple nice BR threads running. RPF BRthreads of interest in past are archived and there is some pretty good stuff. Sadly one of the primary motivators of BR props turned out to be a child molester which put a bit of a damper on what was peaked interest.

Recent discoveries about the original prop, a flurry of opinions about ID origins and Rick Ross revitalizing Doppleganger have been breaths of fresh air the BR fans have well deserved.

Hey enero! I've found the spam filter is where all the important emails end up! I check it before I check my regular mail box which is crammed with stuff designed to beat the filter.Very Happy
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I found the RPF I was searching back all the old threads for Blade Runner stuff and kept finding missing pictures of stuff I wanted to see from the Proprunner guy. I had too look back and search his threads. I read the whole story and the only thing that gets me about it now is that if he isn't spending his time researching props, what could he be getting into instead? My girlfriend works at the Behavioral Health center at the hospital here and she won't even talk to the Pedophiles, but she told me that it is a form of OCD and they are encouraged to find a Hobby to outlet their obsessiveness in a constructive manner. I don't think there is a "cure" for it but being on the forums may actually have protected some children. Especially since there weren't any young girls on the forums (that I know of anyway). Of course once the cat was out of the bag I don't think anybody would have talked to him anyway. I just hope he found another hobby, and maybe someone grabbed all of his pictures so I can see his BR research someday(sorry if that part sounds selfish).
Jedirick
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It hit the community hard.

I probably, along with other giys here have a good number of the images in threads he started. I am missing images from a thread nickthesaberman did however and would love to get those.

Email me at jedirick1@aol.com with a list of the images you hoped to see and I'll see what I have.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will have to go back and reread those threads and take notes this time. I would love to get those images. Thank you
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went back and reread a bunch of the archived BR threads on RPF and was hoping to find any pics that could go with these threads and posts....

1- Blade Runner a web of props thread...
post #44 by proprunner 3D image of wiskey bottle
post #91 by Jakob2121 image of his blaster display
post #157 by Noeland image of lazer pointer at propstore
2-Latest addition to My Blade Runner Collection
post #1 by proprunner pic of alesi shot glass(maybe) and rest of collection
Post #37 by prop runner images of photos and sheet music by ben mund
post #65 by prop runner Ebay Score

If anybody could help me out with these or any other pics I would be very greatfull Smile
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which is a stunt casting. I have a feeling they chopped the pointer at an angle because of air bubbles in the casting.

Just a hunch.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. The bottom looks to be a stunt casting for sure. The top could be with a new set of grips put on it with the origional cut off. you could compare with the Bryant blaster at screen used. The "cheek" detail looks a little off to me though. Not sure though.
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The top gun may well be the same gun that is sitting in the Sci-Fi museum in Seattle. I don't know for sure, but I do know they coated the whole gun in some kind of clear glossy acrylic for display.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noeland wrote:
The top gun may well be the same gun that is sitting in the Sci-Fi museum in Seattle. I don't know for sure, but I do know they coated the whole gun in some kind of clear glossy acrylic for display.

Probably to try and keep the rubber from breaking down. I have heard a lot of movie props from the 80s have disintegrated.
morganthirteen
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I can tell you who the guilty party was that built the blaster in question...

Yours truly.

Back in 1993 I was 'commisioned' by the then 'Klingon Armorer' (eventually Universal Armorer), using a recast (and badly warped) casting of one of the stunt blasters.

Actually, it was probably a recast of a recast of a recast as it was so small (a flaw that was carried over into the final piece). I didn't know anything about resin at the time, and in fact this was only the second prop I had ever tried to build. I made it using mostly cherry hardwood and styrene, building it up in several pieces but gluing them all together and shipping it in one piece with only the trigger guard separate. It was only then that it was broken down and then molded in the pieces seen in the first pic. I was pretty naive back then, accepting about 3 castings of it in return for payment, and I've no idea just how many of those things were cranked out. Hundreds it seems. This was way before I had ever even heard of the internet, and it wasn't until years later that I discovered the prop boards and the replica community.

I'm not sure if I still have any pics of it, though I did present a finished one to John Pisa-Relli as a gift many years ago. I know he still has it, and maybe he can post some pics of it here (I'll ask him). I do still have the master, or most of it anyway, and I'll try to take a few pics of that later.

Clearly, in hindsight, it's not very good. Undersized, with a criminal lack of detail. The 'checkered' grips were done by 'what's his name', who apparently tried to press or hammer something textured into the wood, traces of which are still visible on the master.

The only minor item of note with regard to it is that several years later I was in a mall computer store and spied the Westwood Computer game on a shelf. I looked at the cover which featured a doctored photo of a model wearing a trenchcoat and holding a pistol. His head and face had been replaced with the digital model of the character of the game, but the rest of him was real. I took a look at the bottom of the clip section, and sure enough, the pistol was a casting of the one I built. I used some thin decal sheeting with my own 'target sight' logo on it, not as a tell per say, but out of laziness, and it's clearly identifiable in the photo. I have no idea if it was used for the making of the game, but it seems likely, or at least I'd like to think so.

I probably would've have eventually tried to 'get it right', but so many other fine builders since like Rich Coyle have done so and in some ways made it their own that it doing so would've been pointless. I look back on it now with a certain affection, but mostly with embarrasement. lol

At any rate, I hope I've answered any questions anyone might've had, as well as hopefully given some interesting background information on this piece and it's (minor) role in replica prop history

Shawn
jhyphen
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voila!

I'm quite enamored of this blaster, actually, because it's a gift from a good friend.
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. That's all I can say. WOW.

Another blade runner mystery solved thanks to the information super highway!! How cool is that?

Thanks for posting the images John, and Shawn your post had my complete attention the whole time. A great story and a great prop, especially give it's one of your first.

You're one hell of an artist!
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more ID'd and put into the history books. Thanks Shawn. Thanks for making this hobby FUN and interesting.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually Shawn I want to thank you a lot because when going over my timeline I have been able to put a date (and also a name) on some big pieces of the timeline now and I might be able to put up a rough draft of it very soon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: