FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Prop Company that supplied BR to go out of Business

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:37 am    Post subject: Prop Company that supplied BR to go out of Business Reply with quote

20th Century Props, one of the worlds largest prop houses that also supplied props for Blade Runner to go out of business. Likely because of movie companies moving out of Hollywood for tax breaks after California raised their taxes and fees for location shooting. Auctions of their stuff to be planned.

http://blogs.abcnews.com/theworldnewser/2009/07/from-boom-to-bust-for-hollywoods-prop-industry.html

Maybe some of the most elusive BR props will show up on the market now. Still very sad none the less.

Andy
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or greeblies used to make BR stuff
hirohawa
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Panavision is also in real trouble. Their business is down 20% because of the strikes and "artists" like Soderbergh who are shooting their "films" on Red One.
spinner44.com
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is sad. Unfortunately it will only get worse.

I used to think how cool it would be to escape to the BR world on a vacation. With it looming as a reality, it's not such quaint an idea.

Just wait till businesses get taxed into oblivion. Then the SWHTF. I guess 2019 isn't that far away.
AKU-AKU
Banned!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Their handle on eBay is 20thcenturyprops

I've followed their auctions over the past 3-4 years, and for the most part, it's been furniture, sculptures, household items, knick-knacks, and other vintage set pieces. They usually start the bids on the high side, but I once won an art deco Kodak Brownie camera from them for $20 in pristine condition - VERY cool little shelf decoration, and it still works! Smile

Every once in a while they relist large recognizable props from Sci-Fi movies such as the coffin from Terminator 3, the Lexus engine block from Minority Report, or a 1:1 scale cabin of an SA-43s endo-atmospheric attack jet from Space Above and Beyond. Their starting bids or Buy it Now prices are so high, these 3 items never sell...

But maybe now we'll see some more goodies. When they list items, it's usually in the hundreds at a time, so save the handle to a Favorite Seller Search and click to receive e-mail notifications!
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am hoping they will have the original Johnny Walker bottle. Since it was used in two movies at least, it very likely came from a prop house or at one time resided at one. Chances are that since it hasn't been seen since Annie, it is probably long gone.

Andy
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link to more info including catalog and video walk through. Lets see if we can spot some BR stuff in there...

http://www.greatamerican.com/GAGAuction/Auctions/AuctionDetails.aspx?Id=393

Andy
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit of news regarding these JW whisky bottles; I learned through a friend of my Father (works in movies in Europe as a prop-master) that only 2 whisky bottles were made out of glass (found props) and the rest were vacu-formed (around 10) to be placed in various sets and situations.
A funny thing happened about those plastic bottles: they leaked! So everytime you see a shot of an empty JW bottle, it's the plastic one, liquid in it: the glass one.
Of course, during the shoot, some people were nervous about the real bottles since only 2 were "working"; they were praying everytime that nothing bad happened to those! Shocked As you can also see in Annie: no liquid in that plastic one
Gaff87
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool video, alot of amazing stuff.
I'd love to go there just to take a look at it all Smile

You think some of Deckards lights and lamps could be in there somewhere?
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joberg wrote:
A bit of news regarding these JW whisky bottles; I learned through a friend of my Father (works in movies in Europe as a prop-master) that only 2 whisky bottles were made out of glass (found props) and the rest were vacu-formed (around 10) to be placed in various sets and situations.
A funny thing happened about those plastic bottles: they leaked! So everytime you see a shot of an empty JW bottle, it's the plastic one, liquid in it: the glass one.
Of course, during the shoot, some people were nervous about the real bottles since only 2 were "working"; they were praying everytime that nothing bad happened to those! Shocked As you can also see in Annie: no liquid in that plastic one

Great story Joberg, thanks for sharing !

This theory would explain why some believed the bottles were made of plastic while the others believed it was glass ! (see oncebitten's bottle threads for more info about this)

BTW, did the friend of your father actualy talk in person with one of BR prop guys to learn this ?

Shocked

Fred
Gaff87
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool info Joberg!!
Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice info joberg, when the super troopers are flying through Decks place, all the empty bottles look kinda weird, especially around the esper.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it seems that, in this industry, the "6 degree of separation" is at work.
Someone is bound to hear/work on stuff that happened on a particular set at a certain time...now if you watch the Annie segment, you'll hear a "thump" when the bottle hits the floor: that's the plastic one!
No word on how my Father's friend new this info, or to whom he'd talked to Crying or Very sad
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went through all the catalog pictures and could not find any of the recognizable pieces.

It is possible that many of the pieces were already sold knowing they had a connection to a movie that their sale value would way out shine their replacement value. A way of making money and retaining stock since this stuff is mostly retail made stuff and could be replaced.

I was hoping to run across the lamps from the movie, especially the marble one, but no such luck. The auction previews have started, and the auctions start soon. Still more stuff to be listed too.

Andy
Gaff87
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ABC World News is just about to show a little bit about this here in the UK, will take a look and see if there is anything from BR that i recognize.

EDIT

Nope, didn't spot anything.
Some really cool items though.
Really like the phone booths from the 30/40's they had though, reminded me of "North by Northwest"
photek
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

caught a piece on NPR this morn about Harvey's collection. i wasn't listening until they said "... he's provided vintage props to movies like Blade Runner..." and my thoughts turned only to my radio. i followed the links and found nothing either but kept wondering why of ALL of the films he has supported, why this one was named. hmm.

sure do wish i knew the guy and could have a private walk-through before all of the goodies are gone to the richies!

well, i at least hope the lucky new owners of some of these items (that you guys have worked so hard to just get a better glimpse of through HD and screen cap software) at least post pix for us.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: