FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Coyle Worldcon Metal Blaster
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rick Deckard
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:52 pm    Post subject: Coyle Worldcon Metal Blaster Reply with quote

I have an opportunity to purchase one of these guns from another collector. Can you guys tell me if it is as accurate as I am being told?

Thanks
Nexus6
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The degree of accuracy depends on what VERSION is it (there are several). Finding out that info will help loads.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you being told?

Andy
Rick Deckard
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am told this is from his last run of 12 metal blasters and were modeled after the worldcon model.

I am told he paid 1000.00 for it. Does anyone know if this is true?

thanks for all of your input.
ironfist
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the CST is based on karl tates photos and the measurments that RAC himself took anfter driving all night to get there to see it in person. I am told this is about as close as you can get lets say its at 96%. Last two that RAC himself sold on ebay went for 7 something and 830. RAC in his sale thread claimed they were 1 of 25 made. Both auctions can still be found on ebay search blade runner blaster in advance search under completed auctions.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The RAC props worldcon's accuracy is mostly in the details. It is cast from real gun parts . An original Steyr and Charter Arms Bulldog, but not the real "worldcon" hero gun itself. Rich also tried to use original screws and such as close to the original as possible. He even uses real Charter Arms screws he buys directly from the company for the bull dog parts.

There are still inaccuracies though, and they seem to be mostly in less easily discernible things such as cut angles, colors, fit and other more aesthetic things. The grips still seem a little cloudy, and light in color. Instead of resculpting them he stretched out his existing molds to make them bigger. Overall the pieces don't seem to fit as squarely as they should.

I would say his gun is near 100% in details, but over all just about 90% accurate. My biggest issue is still that you have to pay extra for a build up that still doesn't seem to capture the look of the gun as well as many of the fan builds I have seen.

Rich talent has always been in not only in finding the details of the gun, but also adding as much detail and function that anybody can. He just doesn't quite have the artistic eye though.

His original builds for the metal worldcon were about $850 last I knew. He had a waiting list, and I haven't seen any of his guns go for more than that for many years, and I watch every ebay auction for these. At one time his guns did fetch up and over $1,000, as did the Hartford guns. Now the only gun that can fetch that is the Tomenosuke, and it looks like it should.

Andy
hirohawa
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich sells the metal ones himself for $850
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also for the record, Rich's is the only metal version of the "Worldcon Hero" still being made right now. All the others are sold out or mostly resin.

Andy
Rick Deckard
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a bunch for all of your replies. That is a ton of money for me to be spending on a prop but to have a true metal BR gun has been a dream of mine since I discovered this board.

in for a penny in for a....

Smile
oldzey
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been happy with my Metal Worldcon built by Rich Coyle.

I did have a problem with the back trigger and Rich repaired it free of charge (I paid for shipping one way and he paid for the return trip).

I will say that Rich Coyle's Metal Worldcon is a prop and not a toy and therefore it is not intended to be handled much (and Rich states that in the instructions that come with it). VERY heavy.

I also have a Rick Ross PKD-1 Blaster built by the man himself. Rick also said the same thing about the blaster that Rich did (it is a prop, not a toy, and not meant to be handled much). Lightweight, and much more a work of art than a toy.

If you want a blaster you can play with (maybe to go along with your metal blaster), then I recommend the mostly-plastic Off-World Blaster. I used to have one (the first version), and it looked like a high-end toy (too shiny and too much plastic for my tastes). The cylinder spun, took shells, and it was lightweight. Much easier to play BR than lifting the 2 pound Coyle metal blaster to retire replicants. The Off-World was also noticeably smaller, I didn't care for it much, and I wound up trading it for some 5th element stones. You can still find them from time to time on eBay - I think they have improved them a bit since they first came out.

Cool
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best in the "Toy" category goes to the Hartford. It actually looks pretty good and is pretty heavy too compared to the Offworld. It also can fire caps in PFC shells or airsoft pellets depending on which version of the gun it is.

The Offworlds although are better in quality than the early Coyle resin guns and can be painted up and modified to look pretty good. I own two of them now, because I am trying to modify one of them.

Andy
Rick Deckard
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny thing, I contacted Mr. Coyle about this and ask if he still sells them , he quotes me a price of 1500.00

Shocked

So I guess for a grand I am getting a deal.
Staar
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick Deckard wrote:
Funny thing, I contacted Mr. Coyle about this and ask if he still sells them , he quotes me a price of 1500.00

Shocked

So I guess for a grand I am getting a deal.

That's an astonishing quote. At the beginning of June this year he wrote to me and said the following:

"Well I am now building the model based on what we call the Worldcon version as the real prop showed up that year at the 2006 Worldcon in a display case and was sold this year at auction for around $260,000.

IN that price range I offer a Plastic model with some metal parts for $450.00
And a metal model with a few plastic parts (the grips and ammo housing and clip as they are in the real prop) For $850.00

Note I am currently back ordered and building both models.

I have been doing the Blade Runner Blaster from some time, and have the latest and greatest model out now."

I had no idea that the price of things from 2019 had become so expensive between June and August of 2009...!
Rick Deckard
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know. I recall his thread over at the RPF selling them for 850.00 No way I could/would pay that for a prop unless it was screen used and then it would be hard to convince the other half that it was a deal.

If I could get a Sidkit Metal Model built (I have no skills) for less money I might take a look at that due to the way Mr. Coyle is inflating his price on these things.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich probably raised his price for a few reasons. Because his main competition is no longer around, the Tomenosuke also sold for so much, the hero guns recent headlines, and because he is having financial problems. Since he is back ordered on these, he can also ask what he wants, especially without any competition.

I personally have only seen his metal guns in pictures, so I can not attest for their overall quality beyond looks.

For the record, I do not believe Rich is trying to be greedy, I think he is just a poor business man. I think he is hand assembling all of these himself. Also with the economy I am sure his costs have gone up for the metal parts.

I am sure whatever you get from Rich at least will be quality. As far as what you want though, you might have to do some extra work on it.

Andy
hirohawa
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich's metal blasters are made with really nice heavy duty metal. His metal is a lot tougher and harder than the metal used on the other metal blasters out there.
oldzey
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So is the Tomenosuke blaster no longer being sold?
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I remember correctly, the price of metal dropped on the market (steel, alu, etc). Andy is partly right, I think the cost of manufacturing the pieces has gone up, but not the price of the material per say.
True, Rich probably put every gun by hand, and by himself...and he has no competition in the blaster world anymore
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should restate what I meant about Rich's costs for the metal parts. I meant to point out his outsourcing costs to have the metal parts made. He had told me that he had a hard time finding a company to make them for him at an affordable cost, and the shop that was doing them was going out of business, so likely his cost to have the parts cast was going to go up dramatically, but not for the price of the metal itself.

As far as the Tomenosuke, the preorders sold out in a matter of weeks, perhaps days. They are still shipping the previous orders for the built ups last I knew, and they had a few slots open up a few months ago from canceled orders, but those filled over night. I think only the kit version was available overseas, and at least one member here had received one outside Japan.

With Elfin Knights, Tomenosuke, AdVen and Hartford still out there, I am sure we may see some other high end Japanese replicas coming out in the next few years. If they will be affordable or not is the question.

Andy
hirohawa
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got one of the Tomenosuke kits - A thing of beauty and am now really glad I ordered one.

Haven't built it yet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> The Prop Shop All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: