FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
One thing Ridley could have done better in BR...

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steevy
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:27 pm    Post subject: One thing Ridley could have done better in BR... Reply with quote

To me I would have liked to see Deckard pull a backup(a snubby or more likely the COP they were thinking of using)and kill Leon himself.He can than see Rachael and everything happen as before .I just feel if Rick is the "best"he should handle Leon and not having a backup is just silly.Anybody have their own ideas on what could be better?
Staar
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: One thing Ridley could have done better in BR... Reply with quote

steevy wrote:
To me I would have liked to see Deckard pull a backup(a snubby or more likely the COP they were thinking of using)and kill Leon himself.He can than see Rachael and everything happen as before .I just feel if Rick is the "best"he should handle Leon and not having a backup is just silly.Anybody have their own ideas on what could be better?

The debate on Deckard's true status (human or replicant) has been a hot topic for ages. In the Special Edition DVD Scott states that Deckard is actually a replicant. On one hand I like the fact that he's in reality one of the types he's actually hunting down, but on the other hand, I prefer the idea more that his rather stupid and lumbering attempts at neutralizing the Replicants is because he's actually HUMAN - and thus totally outclassed.

If he's a replicant as Scott states, then I agree with your point of view, but for me, then the movie would have not been as interesting, because it would have become a cliche' of 'the strongest machine wins', whereas in its current form, its through accident and through Roy's compassion that Deckard 'wins'.

If Deckard is actually human, its even more ironic that it took another Replicant (Rachael) to kill Leon....

All debates aside, this I feel is what true Sci-Fi is about, a thoughtful debate on many aspects of the story and social commentary as opposed to Sci-Fantasy where all there is to argue over is the size of the explosions...
darkknight0667
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: One thing Ridley could have done better in BR... Reply with quote

steevy wrote:
To me I would have liked to see Deckard pull a backup (a snubby or more likely the COP they were thinking of using) and kill Leon himself. He can then see Rachael and everything happen as before. I just feel if Rick is the "best", he should handle Leon and not having a backup is just silly. Anybody have their own ideas on what could be better?

Deckard may have been the best, but he was out of the game for some time at the beginning of the film (no idea how long), so he may have gotten a bit rusty. He may not have needed a back-up piece (or partner) to handle the previous models that he hunted down. Plus, the Nexus 6 models were the most advanced, and so may have been more than Deckard (or any other human) could handle alone.

staar wrote:
If Deckard is actually human, its even more ironic that it took another Replicant (Rachael) to kill Leon....

I don't think it's so much that it took another Replicant to kill Leon, but just that he (and Roy) were more than one person could handle. As such, any other character could have shot Leon, but having Rachel do it drew and bound her and Deckard together, setting up the next scene in his apartment.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have a problem with that scene too. Mostly because I don't think the fight was choreographed too well. Deckard never really tried to fight back at all and just seemed to stand there. I am not sure if he was supposed to be too exhausted after chasing down Zhora, and maybe felt some guilt for shooting her in the back. Maybe he was feeling too sympathetic with these replicants at this point especially after seeing Rachael and given the orders to kill her too. It is possible that he had no more fight left in him at this point. Still I would have preferred for the sake of the genre (film noir) that he at least tried more than one punch. Instead he looked like a scared little school boy being bullied.

I have no problem with Rachael shooting Leon though. Actually I do recall in the script that he had an ankle laser, but had that taken away from him too. Showing the super speed of Leon.

Andy
steevy
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would settle for a better fight from Deckard and still having Rachael do the shooting.You are right about that Andy,overall I find it a disappointing scene.
phase pistol
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's face it, Deckard gets his ass kicked by every replicant in town. Shocked

Leon? Nearly kills him.

Zhora? Beats the crap out of him.

Pris? fingers up the nose.

Batty? Only lets him live so he'll have somebody to talk to.

Oddly enough Rachel is the only one who doesn't put up a fight. Laughing
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Phase Pistol, we'll certainly not see a sequel intitled "Deck and Rach at home"...he still could get his ass quicked
steevy
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also would have liked if he did more damage to Roy.Say blew an arm off with an explosive bullet or even part of his head and Roy still dominates him.All he manages is part of an ear and a shot or two with a pipe.Zhora could have killed him and escaped I never understood why she ran because some dancers walked in.
The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think she ran because she was seeking to maintain her anonymity. A dancer quitting after a fight with a patron in The Snake Pit probably wouldn't raise too many eyebrows.

A dead Blade Runner in the back of the club the police would come down on pretty heavily, and they'd shake down the other dancers and employees for a description of the killer.

I always got the feeling she was an assassin, not a front line combatant. Her cover was blown and she was just looking to get away and disappear.

"We began to recognize in them a strange obsession..."

http://fcomin.cgsociety.org/gallery/
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: