FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Interesting find in the parts bin.....your thoughts?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jedirick
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to know if a regularily active member of the RPF did contact the seller. Just one of those situations on the internet where one likes to know who they are really dealing with.

The link given by the "rat" leads to a photohost site run by Blasterbuilders Club. I wonder if there would be a way of checking the photo host log to see who has uploaded that particular image since the auction started and before Dec-02-06 at 12:53:13 PST.

I don't understand the motivation behind contacting the seller. At least I don't see a positive motivation. Ruining the party for others is my first impression.
Though I guess contacting the seller served little if any purpose. The scope would have gone up in price anyhow from natural human greed. The seller didn't miss out on anything and obviously if one sold that well and he had others he's be putting them on eBay as well.
Mr_Creepy
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedirick wrote:
The link given by the "rat" leads to a photohost site run by Blasterbuilders Club. I wonder if there would be a way of checking the photo host log to see who has uploaded that particular image since the auction started and before Dec-02-06 at 12:53:13 PST.

No need to check any logs, the "account" info is in the URL--besides, he's already posted at the RPF about it. I can sort of understand his reasons, but it still wasn't a great idea IMO. Confused

BTW, the pic hosting site actually belongs to Fried Mon Calamari who has offered it in the tradition of wackychimp & Pilot Smile
Jedirick
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw "Noeland" I'm amazed. I thought maybe it was his download labeled image and someone simply uploaded off a photohost.

Hope this doesn't become a regular habit.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noeland contacted me after he did it. He was annoyed that everybody not only had jumped on my find they were bugging the sellers with offers to buy the knobs off of the scopes. I don't think he thought it through to well what the consequences of his actions were, but he meant them with good intent. I feel that if anybody should take blame it is me for posting the info on the RPF. I posted here first and though there are many RPFr's here I think the "feeding frenzy" might not have happened, at least to that extent. There aren't as many unscrupulous lurkers here and most of the guys here even though can be tough to deal with you all are more thoughtful. It took weeks before the Rick Ross kit offers to show up at the RPF and it was Tom that did it to promote the site Wink For the most part it has all been amusing to me, because I knew it would open a Pandora's box when I posted and an evil part of me enjoyed that part a little bit. It is too bad Noeland got caught up in it. I am the one who set off the chain reaction though.
Jedirick
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Point taken.

Do appreciate your contribution and if nothing else will defend your right to share or not. I'm sitting on a number of items I will probably never share in the form of casts.

Among which are the original Temple of Doom "Snake Surprise" and an authentic lifecast bust of Harrison Ford.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedirick wrote:
Point taken.

Do appreciate your contribution and if nothing else will defend your right to share or not. I'm sitting on a number of items I will probably never share in the form of casts.

Among which are the original Temple of Doom "Snake Surprise" and an authentic lifecast bust of Harrison Ford.

sweet swag...Very Happy I have nothing of that ilk, but I also got rid of a large Star Wars toy collection because I felt like it was owning me rather than the other way around. I got rid of everything that still didn't inspire me. Which means I kept most of the "art of" books, Chronicles book, don post tie helmet, origional 12 action figures with "Disco" stand, complete origional han solo 12 inch figure. Mail order Boba Fett (not rocket firing, but with shipper and sealed in bag) Early bird Luke and carded Luke stormtrooper POTF. and the origional Han Solo and Storm trooper blaster(with folding stock) and the micro collection Falcon and death star. Almost all of it fits in one foot locker. I still have all of my Alien and Blade Runner stuff though. I could still sell most of my Star Wars stuff that is left without much of a problem, but not my BR ever. Luckily there isn't too much of it. If my money situation gets back to where it once was(and hopefully better) I may start to go for even higher end stuff. I keep telling myself that I have to sell some old off before I can buy new. since I often have to get rid of a bunch of stuff to buy one new thing it helps with the trimming down...................now that I have gone on a long, off topic, sleep deprived rant I think I will stop now and try to get back to the regularly schedualed programming
Jedirick
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah Star Wars stuff! I am cursed with approximately 5000 items! Roughly 80% is vintage. I'm going to dump all the '95 forward stuff and then shift through vintage. I'll keep MOC 12backs and POTF85 complete sets and my set of MIB 12" and cool books as well. Also there are some vintage items like trash cans tape dispensers, clocks and toothbrushes I'm simply going to start using!
HanCarb has to stay as well as my Rancor and Vader Revealed. MY R2 , Yoda......
jhyphen
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the way people dogpiled Noeland on the RPF and it made me ashamed to be a member.... Um, waitaminit.... Razz

Seriously, whether he exercised good judgment is a matter of opinion, but I don't think anyone who frequents these forums should doubt his bona fides.

He's proven himself IMO to be a good guy whose ethical compass points true north.

Now as far as people who suffer from Scrroge McDuck syndrome and brag about swag they'll never share, I think I pity them more than anything.

The whole "he who dies with the most toys wins" mentality just never caught on with me. I'd rather share information freely. and be generous. I've found that the more I give, the more I've received.

Still, I try not to step on anyone's toes, and probably I would have run it by Andy before I would have contacted the seller. Still, I can forgive questionable judgment founded in good motives, as opposed to the mercenary mentality that prevails in many precincts of the hobby.

Hey Noeland, if they make you persona non grata at the RPF, you can always join me in ignominy. I've had more fun and done more good as an outcast than when they actually tolerated my noisome presence there....

Say goodnight to the bad guy....

Cool
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with everything you said John. Does that make me bad too? Shocked Smile ... I try to make sure that I am doing this for the fun of it, not to be the best at it or have the most. That takes the fun out of it. I don't need to have the "same" or "different " stuff than everybody else. I get what I like for myself only. I think like your site says this is hobby about "Toys for Big Boys". This is also to me about loving the world of Blade Runner and trying to make my experiences with that movie more real. Even if Blade Runner wasn't made, my tastes would still be similar and I just wouldn't have one movie that captures it so well. I also go out to clubs and have hung out with the lead singer of flock of seagulls and the members to the bands ministry, pigface, kmfdm, and played video games with Joey Ramone before he died. This also costs money that doesn't go to my prop collection Smile (and no I never asked their autographs, the only ones I got are Ray Harryhausen, Phil Tippet and Syd Mead).

Andy
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update...My father looked for the scopes and finally found it. He couldn't find it at first but when I told him it was used on 22s he went back and found it.
amish
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is great news Andy!!
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

he found it on one of my grandfather's 22s. He also found a similar one on another 22 that has just slightly different knobs. He sent me pics with his web camera, so they don't do me much good.

andy
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: