FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Another Blade Runner find...Sebastian's chess set
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject: Another Blade Runner find...Sebastian's chess set Reply with quote

This appears to be the exact chess set used for Sebastian. It is based on Audubon art and made by Banbury in England...
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also found some knock offs that were close and made craft mold sets to make your own. But this is the one...
doppelganger01
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again Andy, an excellent find! I've always wanted this Chess Set from the movie.

Rick
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rick. I would really love to have one of these sets as well. It is top on my list of things I want from the movie. I already have a light table that I could make easily into a chess table. But at the price they are talking about $140 for the set and $60 for shipping because it is pretty heavy. I wonder if we could get a few people together to see if we could get a bulk or wholesale deal on them? I am curious to see who here would be interested? I am afraid of posting it at the RPF, but I may just do that.

Andy
KarlBud420
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, you're on a roll here lately Andy!

Great find and thanks for sharing the info with everyone.

Bruce
nickdaring
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic find!!

I tried looking for that set a while ago on ebay for a while but I never thought that it would still be in production. What great news!

Thanks a million

Nick
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did find one difference with this set. The black/red pawns are also finches and not the kingfishers. The molded set only has the kingfisher, so I still think this is the set, but maybe an earlier version that did not have the kingfisher pawn yet. Or in somecases these sets could be custom ordered and individual pieces chosen.

Here are also links to the mold sets...

Artcrafts set...

Hobbys Plus super cast set...
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

new screen cap....

Also we should start a list of who would be interested in these.
I am going to try and contact these guys and the Banbury Studios. If we have anybody in England that might be able to help out here let me know?
Jedirick
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nickdaring wrote:
Fantastic find!!

I tried looking for that set a while ago on ebay for a while but I never thought that it would still be in production. What great news!

Thanks a million

Nick

I looked on ebay and several gift websites as well but didn't know it was Banbury chess set. I looked for individual bird figures! Sad I searched bird figurines and bird porcelin and bird bisque. Got a lot of Audubon stuff but never really looked for it as a all inclusive chess set. Did the stupid assumption that it was piece-mealed together to look like a chess set. Embarassed Dumb Dumb Dumb

Thanks Andy! And count me in for a set provided we can hit 100% accurate figures, obviously appears they will need to be repainted.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did both a current auction and completed auction on Ebay for simply enough Bird and Chess...I came up with the mold sets. The fact that they were close and both british I made the assuption that they were recasts or knock offs of a well known set. So I refined my search to bird mold(mould) chess and british bird chess...it came up easily. I just had a feeling of what to look for and it worked. Tyrell's chess set is a midevil looking set and I don't find it as Interesting. It would take days to seperate it out of the hundreds of similar sets. Anyway the lighted table with the bird set is something I have always wanted. I may just get the molds and make a "close" set or if we can somehow get a group rate together it would be worth it.
enero
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW! Andy, you rock!

Count me in if you can get a deal. I need this is my apartment!
spinner 44
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRAVO excellent find!!! I hope shipping to Spain es less expensive. Sometimes, just sometimes, it's OK to live in Europe Wink

Best regards
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. If we have anybody in England i could use your help finding the Banbury Studio Information. I haven't been able to track it down on line yet. I am contacting a distrubutor here that imports chess sets to see if he can help with a bulk buy.

Andy
Jedirick
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had a brain fart. Banbury is either a line or an acquisition of Hoyle's the people that publish all the rule books for card games and sell decks of cards etc. I know they are associated somehow because i once confused banbury with Danbury Mint when looking for a Star Wars chess set.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoyles seems like an official distributer of Banbury stuff. They have stuff made by many other manufacturers as well. They seem to sell only high end stuff though. The thread at the RPF died which might mean that others may be trying to jump in and controll the market. We will see. If that is what happens I will most likely only post here from now on, because the get rich quick guys don't seem to want to do the work to check other sites.
amish
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy,

Sorry I am late to the game!! That is an awesome discovery. As well, the research you put into this is very much appreciated

Thank you once again!!!

Tom
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like I earned my patch for that one...my Rep-Detect (replica detective) patch... Laughing

Just kidding...I hope I have more in me and am on the hunt for a few other things to be named later..
Andy
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedirick wrote:
I just had a brain fart. Banbury is either a line or an acquisition of Hoyle's the people that publish all the rule books for card games and sell decks of cards etc. I know they are associated somehow because i once confused banbury with Danbury Mint when looking for a Star Wars chess set.

Yep...Banbury Studios is now "Fully owned" by Hoyles.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update...I have had problems with getting any response from Hoyles about anything. I have a feeling that "others" have already contacted them about trying to buy up their stock. It kind of reminds me of what happened with the Scope Knob, but I am not sure of anything. I have talked to some people that have ordered the sets and got them and are very happy with them. They also got them quickly. Also US distributers of the other sets sold by Hoyles are charging more than double for them so this may be the best route. It seems like a set that was not selling to well...Untill now Rolling Eyes So their price may be going up to keep up with demand. The set was issued before and the current one is a reissue and may explain why the pawns are different. If I had a credit card I would order it.
Jedirick
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you did the ground work so well. I have a credit card or twelve. if you'd like to order sets LMK. I'll "lend" out my CC for whatever you want to do. Short of a trip to Bermuda to pick them up and avoid customs....Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 1 of 12

Jump to: