FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Alien jacket lacing

View previous topic :: View next topic  
br64fan
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:23 pm    Post subject: Alien jacket lacing Reply with quote

I know I'm about to ask the impossible,but does anyone know where to buy the lacing on the Alien jackets at a reasonable price instead of having to buy an expensive MIG pressure suit.Surely someone somewhere can produce the same effect without breaking the bank? Thanks for any information. Very Happy
Gaff87
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is someone on the RPF that offers them, SG-RB is his name i think.
(I haven't bought any myself so can't comment on the quality or anything like that)
I'm sure someone else will chime in with more help Smile
stephen210
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes he does a nice job. The ones he made are on my jacket.

Steve
Mark Sheppard
Community Member

Location: In my office playing golf, pouring drinks, making deals.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can get you mig flight suits for 25 dollars a piece. I have several

"Did you really destroy the ENTIRE shipment?"

www.alienthemovie.blogspot.com
kane2122

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:49 pm    Post subject: laced panel Reply with quote

If you're after a cheap way to create the laced panels pop into a shop like Boyes, (UK) or similar, these have a large haberdashery departments brimming with excellent supplies. Grab yourself a couple of dark green metal zips with the fabric sides in the required lengths, these are cheap and readily available! Take a sharp pair of scissors and cut along the edge of the teeth, you now have two long sections of correct length& width as the G4-B side pieces. Pick up some white elastic braid cord 6mm is an ideal width and it only costs 8p a metre, dye to match the colour of the zip pieces, then when dry cut into short loop sections. Stick the loops temporarily together using fabric glue, then place the loops along the vertical zipper material using the glue to get the correct position first. Then mount the two sections with loops onto a piece of backing material, make sure it's wider so it can bunch up correctly like bellows as on the Kane & Dallas panels. The choice of backing material is up to you, but a piece of fabric from the same shop cut to the correct width and length from nylon or similar matching fabric, once again very cheap for the amount thats needed, or you could grab an old military jacket or old nylon kagoule? finally run under a sewing machine to secure the strips and the loops properly place onto jacket and secure, add laces! Alternatively you could pick up and dye some curtain braiding this has small loops along its length, but it tends to be a bit to wide. Hope this gives you some idea?
br64fan
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Thanks to everyone that took the time to reply.I'm very grateful to you all Very Happy
Mark Sheppard
Community Member

Location: In my office playing golf, pouring drinks, making deals.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did anyone get the 2 suits I sent out? I never got any update.

"Did you really destroy the ENTIRE shipment?"

www.alienthemovie.blogspot.com
sethb6025
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got mine, sorry I thought I had emailed you. The laces are on the jacket Very Happy I'll post pics once it's all done.
sethb6025
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't be officially showing these off until we go to a con in February, but as a sort-of preview;

Still some sewing to do finishing both of our pants, and I need to do some weathering on all of it to get rid of the shiny white-ness. Wink This particular costume has been an aspiration of mine for years. I'll be sure to post pics of my lady and I wearing them after we premier them.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooh! Very nice work man!! I'm eager to see some pics with you guys wearing them. Cool
br64fan
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still looking!! Confused
jon
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:29 am    Post subject: Re: Alien jacket lacing Reply with quote

br64fan wrote:
I know I'm about to ask the impossible,but does anyone know where to buy the lacing on the Alien jackets at a reasonable price instead of having to buy an expensive MIG pressure suit.Surely someone somewhere can produce the same effect without breaking the bank? Thanks for any information. Very Happy

I think the problem with your quest is finding relatively accurate lacing at a reasonable price. Those are going to be a great contradiction. It took me about 2 months of spare time to locate the correct vintage military webbing and cord, in the correct dye color and size. A lot of discussion with fellow military collectors, tracking it all down took a lot of time and expense. Than once I had the correct materials the physical process of cutting, sewing, etc took several hours for one sleeve. If I had to reproduce a set for sale and make it worth my while, it would be more than the mig suits cost all together.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Alien Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: