FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Metal caster wanted!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
seesinsilhouette
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:36 am    Post subject: Metal caster wanted!! Reply with quote

I have currently embarked upon a quest to pimp my Hartford and was following the " Hartford to worldcon" thread with interest. I liked the fact you could use the offworld diecast upper to add even more heft. However the problem that I face is the rear part of the bolt and bolt arm from the offworld AND Hartford are plastic which bothers me on an aesthetic level. Why put a painted plastic part next to a real blued metal part, they would never match!

So my question to you all is... Does anyone have the facility to cast up these offworld parts ( which I shall modify to a higher finish taking off mould lines and filling the hole in the end of the bolt arm) in low temp steel or pewter? Obviously I am interested in cost of making said moulds and cost of material required for casting, so I can determine how many it is worth producing. I also have other parts such as grip frame and plate (which I hand carved to produce a more accurate version than the ones supplied with the Hartford) which I would like to cast in aluminium.

So any metal casters out there who could be interested PM me with details.

Also anyone who would be interested in these parts let me know so I can get an indication of interest. Obviously no list yet as this may not even get off the ground but I thought I'd check here before visiting a foundry.

So the parts would hopefully be

1. All metal bolt back
2. All metal bolt arm
3. All metal bolt slide (1-3 to fit offworld metal upper)
4. Aluminium grip frame
5. Aluminium grip plate
6. Aluminium trigger guard

also guys, I'm new to this so please let me know if I'm stepping on any toes here, that is not my intention. I just want a few more metal parts for my blaster build and figured if I was to pay to get these parts cast I may as well do a short run for others. I don't wanna make a profit from this, just make the money I spend on casting them up back.

Hope that's all cool

Michael
ironfist
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

O.K. the grip frame is what charter arms used in all of there revolver pistols. So scoring one in a parts sale on gunbroker.com might be your best and cheapest bet. I have won 2 parts auction, a charter arms 38 special (that all the parts fit my off-world) and a 44 bull dog auction (and all the parts fit my Sidkit) the grip frame is identical on both. The 2 real gun parts auctions and the 2 props. These of course (the real grips) will need to have some extra holes drilled in them. This again is for the REAL grip frame. The extension that fits around the real frame to fit the amber grips is another animal. You might want to look at just making a plaster cast of what you need of the org. and buying some low melt steel and a hand torch. Try making your own. Its in the future for me. Good luck and keep us posted!!!!!
seesinsilhouette
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the confusion, when I said grip frame I actually meant the outer added grip.

I think it will be more likely that I go simply for the bolt sections because if cost. At a push the plate too since it's quite a simple part. I think the most important parts are the back section of the receiver and the bolt arm as I feel it's important they're in the same material as the receiver itself.

Unfortunately I live in the uk so getting charter arms parts is impossible
Photech
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be interested in...

1. All metal bolt back
2. All metal bolt arm
3. All metal bolt slide (1-3 to fit offworld metal upper)

depending on price. I could alway finish off a rough cast.
Rick Deckard
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm supporting anything that will get me a replica for less than 1000-1500.00

I just can't see paying that kinda damn money for a replica.
ironfist
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick Deckard wrote:
I'm supporting anything that will get me a replica for less than 1000-1500.00

I just can't see paying that kinda damn money for a replica.

How about we get a little more down to earth and say less than 600 for a FAKE gun.

If we got enough people in and did this all in pieces we might be able to do it. But then again we cant even get a bottle done.
seesinsilhouette
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I am continuing to investigate getting these components cast up. I'm gonna definately gonna limit it to the upper receiver extras and buttplate for now. I won't be going for complete blasters as I don't want to step on toes and I simply can't afford it. So these parts will be to fit the offworld model ( which in turn has the upper receiver which fits the Hartford so these pieces should also fit that with some tweaking).

Thanks for your patience. I will post as soon as I know how much it's gonna cost me and what material it will be in. Best case will be White metal/pewter, worst case it will be resin mixed with metal powder, but the investigation continues....

Mike
mspaw
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:14 pm    Post subject: metal cast parts Reply with quote

Just to stir things up I’m currently looking at doing replacement barrels in steel, the outside grip in machined alum like the original and a steal trigger guard. At the moment I’m just finishing up the sight rods but it seems like there are several other parts that would benefit from being made from the same materials as the original.

-Michael
ironfist
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: metal cast parts Reply with quote

mspaw wrote:
Just to stir things up I’m currently looking at doing replacement barrels in steel, the outside grip in machined alum like the original and a steal trigger guard. At the moment I’m just finishing up the sight rods but it seems like there are several other parts that would benefit from being made from the same materials as the original.

-Michael

Man !!!!! Now I gotta go home and see if the sidkit is the same as the off-world for these parts!
seesinsilhouette
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well let's hope we michaels can keep a smile on this communitiy's face! I personally can't wait to see your sightrod finished and the other ideas sound fantastic! Count me in for all. I just hope I can keep up with my meager offering of cast bolt parts! Hehe.

Mike Smile
racprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am selling my model directly for $1200.00.

That is inbetween ironfist's $1000 to $1500 range.

I will even consider selling a few at $1000.00 unpainted and unfinished, (that is no chem. treatment on the metal to look blackist steel)

These will be fully assamblied, but may need some minor finishing...

Rich
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ironfist said ...

Quote:
How about we get a little more down to earth and say less than 600 for a FAKE gun.

He was quoting Rick Deckard with the other price.

I personally would be in for metal upgrade parts for the Offworld though. I agree with the parts list mentioned too.

Andy
Photech
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone got a spare real 38 cylinder?
mspaw
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:31 am    Post subject: spare cylinder Reply with quote

PM me.

-Michael
Rick Deckard
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Coyle I'm sorry but that is simply way out of reach for most collector's like myself. I would love to own one of your guns but cannot at that price.

Here's to hoping that the craftsman here can come up with a cheaper alternative.
racprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel your pain, and I really wish I could do something about it.

But I can not.

I will not stand in anyone's way that does it with out ripping me off.

Do the real work and more power to you.

But once you figure in how may months of labor to creat a working master, the labor in mold making and production, I do not think anyone that has to pay for their time will be able to do much better.

Even recreating this by just studing my model is a minor steal, as I went though hours and many models to get these detail right, none the less much labor studing and working off one of my models will be saved.

Here is a idea, find enought people to pool enought money to take this to Hong Kong, and I will be glad to be a part. (I am not trying to be a stinker here, this is the real problem of trying to do the following, no kidding...)

Explain to them how many models have already been done, Off World, Hartford, the two Japan models, all the "Others" how so many models something like 5000 or more all total have been sold, and project that you can hope to sell say 1000 to 2000 more...and see how many investors are still standing.

Tell them that you want to cut the price to the bone, so that you can sell them so cheap so more can afford them, so there will be no big mark up and no big profit, and see how many investors are still in the room.

Tell them you want all the detailings and working features from my model and tell them you want Diecast metal.

Tell them you want this to sell for under $300.00 retail.

And IF you have any real investor still interested contact me, I will work with them.

As so many rejected my old price of $850.00 and so many were unhappy with my (I agree) poor efford for a kit around $300.00 to $500.00, and how many were not interested in my stunt model, I do not think I can do anything that will make you happy, unless it was to sell my top of the line model and pay you to buy it.

To sell my metal model at $300.00 would cost me money, so in effect I would be paying you to buy it.

I am working on offering my plastic model with a few key parts in metal, but again on ebay these sell for $600.00 to $800.00, and I did not set those prices, "They" did by bidding them up.

So even if I offered the Plastic model to you for $400.00 I bet almost no one will want it, after all you have been spoiled by Sid's old model.

Rich
Nexus6
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

racprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like all things, some days good deal happen, others they are gone.

Rich
ironfist
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this might help some of us out with resin cheapo models, that would like to upgrade some of the parts to metal.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sjcj64aNxAY&NR=1

and the supplies to do it.
http://www.micromark.com/SearchResult.aspx?deptIdFilter=0&searchPhrase=casting+metal

Last edited by ironfist on Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
racprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with that, it is costly and you get a raw finish, tons of sanding and machining and polishing to get a truely finished part.

If you don't mind the labor...

Also detailing like logos serial numbers will be lost.

And with shringage means smaller parts.

Rich
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: