FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Thinking of a BR project.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SLK
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:20 pm    Post subject: Thinking of a BR project. Reply with quote

I asked in the Personal Vid-Phon thread how hard it would be to find the found items as I had in mind to make a master pattern for the base and people could attach the found items to it.

The Personal Vid-Phon is just one example.

To give you all an idea of what I can possibly do...

I did a few runs of the Ghostbusters gunbox part set for people to finish out and add electronics etc.

I'm doing a run of finished RGB PKE meters.

Done a few of these.

Did the machine gun and bullet belt for this.

Did some of the work on the helmet, chest piece, and jump pack on this guy(available at Toys'R'Us or online Wink ) .

Soooooo, I'd like to do a run of a BR prop. maybe assembled or parts for finishing. Like I said the Personal Vid-Phon is a possibilty.

What other ideas are there?
The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voight-Kampff machine.

"We began to recognize in them a strange obsession..."

http://fcomin.cgsociety.org/gallery/
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee SLK, I saw you PKE meter on the RPF a few days ago and thought it was great Shocked ...I think we should stick to the Vid-Phone for now and see how it goes.
SLK
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Loyalizer wrote:
Voight-Kampff machine.

Last I heard this was already in the works but I have not seen an update in awhile. I still have the file for the eye scanner deelie and can get those parts laser cut with the permission of PhoenixVader. The rest of the body looks pretty easy. The mechanical arm and flip up eye eye scanner seem to be the toughest part as I am sure you all want it to be as relaible as your TV or microwave. When I saw the actual VK machine back around '84 or '85 the arm wasn't working so even they had trouble. In this economy I'd be curious how well they would sell.

That's why the PVP looked appealing. How readily available are the found parts? (That may be dumb question)

Any other ideas?
SLK
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also had considered a VK version 2. A more compact unit with many of the same looks. Not a .45 size like MR did with lightsabers but like I said, compact. Cell phones went from a lunchbox size to a brick and to bar of soap to a...

Just a thought.
Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The majority of Vid Phon parts can easily be found on Ebay.
The contempra phones can still be found and there are many Pana View 2`s available. The hardest piece to find is the Casio MQ-11 calculator they used as the keypad,
i just used a MQ -6, similar size. As joberg came up with the superb bic lighter holder as another piece that just leaves the mini hairdryer, just a matter
of finding the right shape.

As the Vid Phon is relatively easy tp put together, and remember, know one has provided a detailed picture of an actual unit, the VK should be the way to go.

I recently got hold of a VK machine from a member here based Birdies mold. The work i have to do to get this to jobergs standard will be much indeed, the mold is
warped and i will basically have to re-clad the whole thing. This is a pain in the arse.
I think that all we need is a suitable supply of professional molds etc. If you can fabricate the other parts, great, if not, they can be easily put together.
Jobergs VK is by far the best example produced so far, so mayby if we ask nice, he will give the dimensions reqiured to make the mold or seperate pieces.

Did you say you saw the actual VK machine back in 83-4?
Thats pretty big news to know it is still in existance somewhere.
Heres an pic of my half done Vid Phon as an example,

SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting proposal, SLK...

Cool

Now if you'd ask me to choose between Deck's vidphone and a Voight Kampff machine, my answer would be : BOTH !!!

Fred
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for the VP (Vid-Phone) the Bick part can be found anywhere (for free), a Contempra can be bought between $40 and $65 depending on the colour/working order (reds are the most expensive)Pana-View $15/$20 dollars...if somebody could mold a Casio the price of the whole thing should be around $100.
Sooooo, a repro of all this should not be higher in price
SLK
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joberg wrote:
Sooooo, a repro of all this should not be higher in price

BOOOOOO! Bad form. Razz

No dictating price. Laughing

Seriously, after you have made a master pattern, a mold, casted the parts, cleaned and prepped the parts, installed the electronics and painted a piece...theeeen taken pics, prepped, and posted the pics, answered all buyer questions, and shipped then you can say what price is fair. Resin is stinky, sawdust from resin is messy, the trouble of painting etc. Sometimes I wonder if it's worth it...but it's work i enjoy. I think everyone should try it at some point to see what it's like to go through the process.

joberg wrote:
The hardest piece to find is the Casio MQ-11 calculator they used as the keypad, i just used a MQ -6, similar size.

An MQ-6 instead? Don't even talk to me. Razz (I'm kidding.)

If the parts for the PVP are easy to find then is there really any point to casting those parts? I can appreciate the convenience of having castings available all through one person.

offworld66 wrote:
Did you say you saw the actual VK machine back in 83-4?

Thank you offworld66 for posting the picture of the unpainted parts, thats actually very helpful.

The prop rental company that the VK machine referred to it as the "artificial lung". VK machine is interesting but I don't want to step on any toes as last I heard it was in the works.
Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SLK wrote:
Quote:
The prop rental company that the VK machine referred to it as the "artificial lung". VK machine is interesting but I don't want to step on any toes as last I heard it was in the works

Did the "artificial lung" come with its original case ? Sorry to keep asking about it but Im pretty sure everyone here was under the impression that the original VK no longer existed due to Sir Ridleys attitude to the props after filming was completed and your news is quite a revealation.
Is there anything else you can tell us about it?
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got you SLK Laughing Just wondering if some of the VP parts could be sculpted in balsa foam and then vacu-formed, while others could go to silicone molds and resin parts...unless you really like those fumes
SLK
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

offworld66 wrote:

Is there anything else you can tell us about it?

I saw it about 24 years ago so the memory is a bit fuzzy. The lung part worked. The breathing parts were vacuum formed from the same type black textured plastic as the fan made TOS tricorder shells but I seem to remember that the smooth side was up. I recall the sound of the pieces gently smacking into each other as they raised and lowered.

I don't recall a case but then they had a bunch of stuff there and it was sensory overload for me with all the things to see. I'm sure they had a case since they did take care of the other items.
Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers SLK

Its encouraging to know that this piece and possibly others are still out there. A great project for any Sam Spade fans out there.
Its relevent to any Vid Phon project as well because we still dont have any diffinative pics of an actual unit.
The small piece on top of the view screen that has a red light attached is still a mystery and until this is solved, it would seem difficult to build totally accurate reproductions.
ironfist
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey SLK I'd love a 1/1 scale Rachael!!! Wink
SLK
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ironfist wrote:
Hey SLK I'd love a 1/1 scale Rachael!!! Wink

I only consider myself an average model maker. Last I heard on an interview the real one lives in Sedona Az.
SLK
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...or I dare you to recast her. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: