FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
District 9 : Weapons-Spacecraft-Signage

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bassnoir
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:49 am    Post subject: District 9 : Weapons-Spacecraft-Signage Reply with quote

...Did I miss the memo on "District 9" weapons?...many and varied all very cool...Space craft?... gigantic mother ship and small shuttle craft...and more prop possibilities than any film in current memory...all weathered borderline junk... clunky Signage...?
...Am I the only person here to be both amazed and blown away by this spectacular relatively cheap (well under 500 million) 30 Million seems to be the consensus....film?
...comments?
...criticisms?

If this thread exists sonewhere else on the forum I apologize...If not....damn.....people....see this movie.....
Gaff87
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love D9 aswell.
Great film.
The ARC gun is definitely one of the best.

Not seen too many replica props though.
There is Wickus's ID availible in the "paper props" section on the RPF.
Bwood
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't like it. 'Nuff said.
punctated
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too did not like the movie for a variety of reasons.
Hasenbrau
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thoroughly enjoyed this flick. In fact I can't think of another movie in the past year that I recall coming out of the theater saying " I really enjoyed that."
I find it very interesting how varied opinions on this film can be, especially amongst colleagues and peers. It seems within my field of work (video games) that the primarily artistic types are of the same opinion as mine concerning District 9. Then there are those who's professional focus is that of programming, or of an equally technical nature, who typically found several reasons to dislike this movie. Of course an opinion is an opinion and this wasn't a wholly consistent observation, there were certainly programmers I know who loved it and artists who did not. I just find it interesting.

I at one point heard a group of acquaintances mention massive plot holes. These statements were made shortly before I entered the theater to view the film for the first time. Such statements usually spur a heightened awareness in me of such things, but I have to say, I came out saying to my buddies sitting around me "What were those guys talking about?" Perhaps it instead lowered my expectations, which in turn masked said holes, who knows. Either way; to each there own.

I just always get a kick out of how varied opinions can be about any given movie, how perceptions, discrimination, personal experience, disposition and general emotional state, amongst, I'm sure, a plethora of other things can cause a person to come out of the theater saying: "I loved it/liked it/meh/that sucked." etc.

With that said, if I were to extend a spec of criticism I would have to say that while I like the design of both the aliens and their technology (More so the technology), I did not find the two to be aesthetically consistent. in fact the tech was very typical Sci-fi (though executed very well). If I personally were to assume that any of that alien tech was manufactured by aliens similar in nature and appearance as the Prawn I wouldn't expect their weapons and gadgets to look the way they do. Fortunately though through some very simple plot devices there's no reason why a member of the audience need assume such a thing.
Bassnoir
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

......What I found most interesting in District 9 was the writing and style... the writing was pretty much a point of departure with the bulk of the films dialog being improvised by the actors....brilliantly by the lead.....
...the style of the film being "documentary"...the look and feel was a delight...I was a documentary cameraman back in the late sixties early seventies and District 9 captured the feel and nuance of this kind of filming better than any narrative film I have seen....
...the story (immigration) drives the movie and not the technology or special effects...an extremely pleasant departure that would appeal to most Bladerunner fans....
...the movie did not bore me...did not let up and kept my attention...it's been along time since I left a movie hoping for a sequel....
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sequel is coming (last line: I'll return in 3 years). Yes, very good film, good ideas everywhere...I mean the Dutch (aliens at the time) colonized South Africa (White minority in charge of a Black majority) and District 9 is the same in essence (Aliens in ghetto, like their Black counterparts), love the docu-feel of the film (hand-held cameras most of the time).
As for the weapons (lots of pics on the RPF) who's to say that they don't "fit" the species? Their design was very well thought off by the people at WETA and if I had the time, I would build one right away!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Non Blade Runner Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: