FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
A Cosplay 2010 - 2019 ... assistance, advice.. requested!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Costumes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deckardsenigma
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:47 am    Post subject: A Cosplay 2010 - 2019 ... assistance, advice.. requested! Reply with quote

Greetings ~

I hope that I place the following post in the right section, if not, I request that the ADMINS please place it where it should be.

====

Now my entry...

As I am catching up on topics here since my absence, I decided to start 2010 with a promise to myself. ~ Note I said, - "Promise" - and NOT Resolution.

A Deckard Cosplay...

A Cosplay for my (own) personal celebration on/in 2019, when I am planning to return to my birth place, which is Los Angeles, California, in Nov, and by which time I shall be a staggering ~ 59 years of age! ~ Shocked

~ This will also culminate as being my FINAL Cosplay project EVER!

So for me, its a PERSONAL celebration on many different levels. ~ (Talk about Retirement!) ~ Wink ~ which btw I already am x2. ~ Cool

Now being 50 years of age, I know I am nowhere (close) to some of the professional (young) cosplayers that are out there, but, I am NOT TRYING to compete with them.

So, I gave myself about 9 years to get this done, and I know that its a long time for a Cosplay preparation... but it (really) won't take that long!

(The goal is to get it ready & done by 2019, for my personal Blade Runner Event.)

====

I created a (personal version) of Deckards Wallet which has already been started last year, and is almost completed, I (would) say its about 98% complete... there are a few things I noticed that I need to improve on.

I will post the ~ "completed version" ~ here.

====

I already have 2 variants of the Deckards Blaster, but, I will be looking for a more effective one, one that can be dropped, be ~ "used/abused" ~ if you know what I mean.

I am thinking of a rubber version of it? ~ Perhaps some suggestions on this and what type would be best suited.

This way I will not damage my more expensive ones that I have, plus find a retaining leather holster. ~ which I already have my eyes on.

====

In addition, I started the searched for (Deckard's) shoes, which as we all know, are ~ Adidas 'Stan Smith' Shoe (in black).

Since its (obvious) that I can not get the actual shoes, I have found some very similar ones, that will ~ *just* ~ require some editing (so to speak).

Because they are the same colour, style, the only difference is that the ~ Adidas logo ~ can be seen, so I ordered them, as this was my chance to get them in my size.

====

Since my absence....

I KNOW I missed my chance on some fantastic sewing work from our VERY talented resident seamstress , (Rachel) , and I also know that she may be very busy or perhaps not doing any more trenches, due to demand.

So, if that's the case, my next choice would be to go the Abbyshot Clothiers route.

Any updates on this would be greatly appreciated, and would save me time from looking through all the past posts that I missed.

====

I am taking my time in this lengthy project, doing the research needed to get everything right!

So, I humbly turn to you gals and gals...

Perhaps I can get some ideas, suggestions, on what I need to get that famous Deckard Trenchcoat and clothing that will be required.

I want to maintain the "essence" of Deckard.

So since I am realistic about the length it takes ~ for me ~ to create the Cosplay up to its completion, (including life interferences) .

The plan ~ is to create a simplified version of it... meaning solid colours for the clothing, with focus mainly on the Trenchcoat and sweater (which was not made) by anyone that I know of... (yet)...

If it has been made, please send me a link to follow up on, it will be appreciated.

If it hasn't been made, I am planning on having my ex wife create that sweater, of course ~ I have to pay her! ~ LOL! ~ Laughing ~ and its a good thing we are talking terms as well, which is an added benefit. ~ Wink

====

Second will be the under clothing... the shirt, tie, pants, and shoes. (I am foregoing the outer jacket. (unless I can actually do it)

Followed by the 80's style watch that he wore, or close replica of it.

and that should complete this project in its entirety.

====

Well, I better close for now, as I am sure I already bored you all to death over all this.

I hope to get some responses, ideas, suggestions, and even questions directed my way, which will assist me in my goal!

I appreciate the time that you took to read this entry.

Thank YOU!

Respects!
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good plan! I'll be 60 in 2019, so I'm basically into your league (and mind frame). Did you e-mail Rachel? 'cause she should be able to make you a coat and probably the jacket as well. Indy Magnoli is the one to contact for the shirt and the tie. Some members here have, (with success), "darkened" the shirt to give it a used look. Of course, you can make your own BR version of the suit; I'm thinking about the pants also and the fabric/colour you'll choose. If the ex is making Deck's sweater why not make his special knitted tie with that big V?
Well, I wish you luck and look forward to some pics of the whole project.
deckardsenigma
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joberg wrote:
Good plan! I'll be 60 in 2019, so I'm basically into your league (and mind frame). Did you e-mail Rachel? 'cause she should be able to make you a coat and probably the jacket as well. Indy Magnoli is the one to contact for the shirt and the tie. Some members here have, (with success), "darkened" the shirt to give it a used look. Of course, you can make your own BR version of the suit; I'm thinking about the pants also and the fabric/colour you'll choose. If the ex is making Deck's sweater why not make his special knitted tie with that big V?
Well, I wish you luck and look forward to some pics of the whole project.

Thanks for the reply... Very Happy

In answer to your questions...

====

Rachel:

No I haven't (yet)... but, I will ~ once I am sure ~ that everything is in order and that I have everything needed to get that side of the project going.

I have plenty of time, as I will be concentrating on the simple aspects of this project first, then send her the email about making it.

====

Indy Magnoli:

I have used and bought some items from him before, as I was working on my Indiana Jones Project..

I will have to find my link and see the site, I know I have 2, that were used, so I will check and see.

(edit) ~

I just found my link and visted the site, it has more than I saw last time, and I saw the BR (Deckard) items...

So, they have been placed on my list and will I look into them further.

(Thanks for the suggestion)! ~

====

The - e-"X":

That famous meeting will take place sometime this week and I will ask her if she can do it.

I have taken screen-shot of all possible angles of the sweater, (plus) all of the details I can see.

It will need to be a - "half-n-half" type thing concerning accuracy because not all of it can be seen.

So, I will be assuming much of it... (particularly the length) ... is somewhat the same as the Trench...

====

Much of the clothing will have to be taken into account, because I am always ~ "sitting" ~ as in a wheelchair.

So, I want to be sure that the length(s) and all will be proper, as I - CAN STAND - for about a minute - (in total) - which will be useful for static photographs ~

I also ~ *just* ~ received word that my shoes that I ordered are now on the way...

So, the project is now (and has been) officially - Started.

====

Thanks again for response! ~ its appreciated!

I will keep (everyone) informed and I shall post pics soon....

Respects!
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome deckardsenigma,

As far as the blasters that would be good for Cos-Play, there aren't any rubber ones I know of that weren't film used or made, Thus making them out of most peoples range (selling for around the $10,000 plus mark nowadays). No too many of the guns are cheap enough and/or durable enough for cos-play either. The best that I know of is the Offworld 2019 blaster that is mass produced. It is far more durable than any of the resin props and still has all of the functions that most of the high price guns have. It may need a new paint job too if you get one of their older models, but there is word that a new model is coming out. Unfortunately they still sell for over $200.

Many others do make a "stunt" version of the gun, that usually sell for under $100 (usually for about $50). Most of these are still made from resin and are often pretty fragile despite their "Stunt" moniker. Hopefully Matsuo will soon be making a version himself that will be simple in construction, but also cast in durable aluminum cold cast resins for under the $200 mark. Still may be some time if this ever comes to fruition or not.

Another option is to keep an eye out for some of the toy versions out there. There are a few now that can be had for good prices similar to this over priced version. Also if you want to stay in the Cos-play traditional style, Sega used to make a light gun styled after the gun for Virtua Cop. It is stylized and over-sized, but could work and can often be found at flea markets cheaply by itself.

As far as the shoes. I believe all them had the logo printed on them, and they can be easily removed using acetone or other similar products.

I honestly am not sure what you are referring to as in the sweater though. He did have a sweater, but as far as I can tell it was never seen in the film. He also had a loose knit jacket that could be mistaken as a sweater because of it's texture and droopy quality, but it is the same one that Indy Magnoli has tried to recreate.

Good luck,
Andy
Rustyn242
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:45 am    Post subject: Sweaters Reply with quote

Which one are looking to get?

or the Riding into the sunset one:

deckardsenigma
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:13 am    Post subject: Re: Sweaters Reply with quote

Rustyn242 wrote:
Which one are looking to get?

or the Riding into the sunset one:

Greetings ~

Thanks for the screenshots! ~ Very Happy

In answer to your question, the (plan) is to get all of the above.

====

However, the PRIMARILY focus would be the long version, which is similar to his trench, by my observation and opinion.

====

I requested my - "X" - to make it several times, each time she is willing and able to make it, and (even) at NO CHARGE!

She'e a pretty good knitter, as she made a sweater for me before (when we were married), thus the reason I am leaning on her to make this request.

I have made some random, rough sketches, with a pattern of what the sweater looks like the screen shots (above) and sent them off to the - "X" - months and years ago...

But, something always comes up or she is (just) too busy... as is with things (life comes first) after all...

====

But, this time, I will be looking about for someone to take up this challenge, just in case she can't, won't, doesn't have the time, or something else happens (again). ~ Confused

====

Since, I have plenty of time to get it done, I am still in the planning stages of it all. ~ Ensuring the (look) is what I want and such...

"Monetary Fundage" ~ is VERY tight and limited (for now), which is also a reason, I am still looking, researching, gathering, making lists, finding sources, and purchasing things on a monthly basis slowly.

Like the Magnoli Clothing options.
If I purchase from them, I will be buying (each) item monthly, the trench I feel will be the most expensive part of the whole thing.

====

and create (some) items myself... that's the plan Sir! ~ Smile

Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate it.

Respects!
Rustyn242
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. Your project sounds interesting.
I myself have just taken the plunge and ordered the Magnoli trench coat.
When I first saw this movie on a crappy b&w tv, HBO, early '83. I wanted that coat.
I purchased the tie in 2008 and the workmanship is really fine.
I'll see if I can get a better screen cap of the longer/ hallway sweater.

- Rustyn242
deckardsenigma
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rustyn242 wrote:
Cool. Your project sounds interesting.
I myself have just taken the plunge and ordered the Magnoli trench coat.
When I first saw this movie on a crappy b&w tv, HBO, early '83. I wanted that coat.
I purchased the tie in 2008 and the workmanship is really fine.
I'll see if I can get a better screen cap of the longer/ hallway sweater.

- Rustyn242

Thanks ~

Ndeed, I will be taking my time on it, I want to get it right and make it worth every penny spent!

So, I am sure that many things will come up along the way that will be new and improved, I'm sure...

====

I am always impressed by everyone here, particularly how talented everyone is in the creations that they make.

If I could I would shell out all the money needed to get everything I want that is created.

But, for now, its the free stuff, or get creative and make it.

Wink
deckardsenigma
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:25 am    Post subject: Adidas (Stan Smiths) Shoes came in... Reply with quote

Greetings ~

Well,

My Adidas (Stan Smiths) black tennis shoes came in the other day and they fit perfectly. ~

====

So, reading about them on another thread, I took the advice and changed out the shoelaces...

I had some extra ~ (never used) ~ Alden's Indy boot (Brown) shoe laces laying around, so I removed the black ones that came with the Adidas, and just replaced them with those.

I also removed the Adidas patch emblem from the tongue of the tennis shoe as well... ~

====

I will post a picture when I have better lighting...

====

If anyone has further advice for the shoes, please let me know, as I could use any advise that is given.

~ and since this will be my VERY LAST Cosplay Project, I want it to be perfect, so I WILL be anal in its creation.

So, any fellow BR aficionado's, who think as I do, I would appreciate the input.

Thanks for the read and RESPECTS!
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news...and yes pics are a must . Of course we'll be here to offer input, but as long as you're satisfied with the end product (look) of your costume, we'll be happy for you also.
propsjonnyb
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings ,
I hope everything goes well for you , I can help with a 'working' blaster ,as I have a conversion kit that will retrofit into (most) BR blasters that makes it a 'theatrical firing' blaster , it also make it more durable for cosiplay ( PM for more info ,but details on the Prop Shop page ) I also have a Magnoli Deckard jacket and trenchcoat for sale at cost ( these will fit a 'regular 42 to 44' suit size) and I would prefer to offer them here, rather than Ebay ! - again PM me for details) anything else I can do or help with, feel free to ask as I am 30 year vetteran building and restoring SCI-FI film and TV props

regards
propsjonnyb
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Sweaters Reply with quote

Rustyn242 wrote:

I completely forgot he was wearing the sweater in the last scene Embarassed

I used to have a sweater like that when I was in high school. It was a hand me down from a Norwegian friend. I have also seen sweater coats in the women's section of the thrift store that are also very close in knit and style. After all Gaff's coat was a woman's to begin with.

Andy
propsjonnyb
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Deckard Sweater seems to be a 4 button shawl collar Argyle or Raglan cable stitch ( see sleeve) cardigan working from the shots shown , Mangnoli offers a "Wyoming" cardigan in the right style ie shawl collar 4 button cardigan - but it's the wrong knit as it's just plain cable stitch with turn back cuffs - ( available in a variety of colours and sizes) if any knows the proper pattern number I'd also be grateful to hear what it is !!
deckardsenigma
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings ~

Well, with some good news comes (also) disappointment...

====

Sweater ~

The sweater needs to be either found or made by another person, for the e-"X" has no time to create it for me. ~ Sad

====

However,

I did receive the shoes yesterday, and so I took some piccies, albeit from my mobile camera, as my digital camera batteries got drained due to the cold.

I apologise for the low quality, they are small, I will retake some more once my batteries are recharged again.

Here they are with the brown lacing...

(note) ~
Hard to make out ~ but ~ The Adidas raised embossed lettering can be slightly seen on the sides of the shoe (rear).

I need to figure out how to remove it, or edge it down.

====

Here they are with the Adidas emblem removed from the tongue.

====

Lastly...

Here is a shot with the items, I already have...

====

The Blaster ~

I should point out, that the Blaster is made of wood and Fan created, which I bought back in 2000 via ebay, however ~ I can't recall who made it.

So, it will be used as a (FILLER) for the holster, once I obtain it, in order to form the leather to it.

I will be looking into buying another Blaster

====

The Wallet is made with several items...

Which were bought via Ebay, such as Deckards ID and other items, and the wallet itself was found by me in a local 5-n-dime store. for a steal of 1.00$!! ~ Its not screen accurate, but the colour was my focus on it.

The items inside, which were paper, I created using from the great resources here in this forum, (when I was here last time), and I also integrated some REAL Japanese, Chinese paper currency/monies along with it.

====

Can it possibly be made?

I was curious about making one ~ so I asked around (here in El Paso), and found a shoe repair/leather maker, to whom I shown him a screen shot of the wallet (along with my schematic drawing) to give him an ideas on how it looks.

He said he can re-create ~ Deckards wallet ~ (for a price) ~ in the exact configuration as seen in the film, for a quoted price of 150$ - 200$

I was intrigued ~ but swiftly loss interest quick due to his personality. ~

I think he saw me as a easy, quick money maker, because I was in my wheelchair... a hazard to which I am used to.

====

Anyway.. this is my meagre start on my project...

NEXT UP ~ is to look into some trousers ~ as I type this I am eyeing my Indiana Jones Trousers - can they do the trick? Hmmm....) ~ Cool ~ , as well as look for a belt, shirt, ~ and tie.

====

I am leaning - HEAVILY - towards this look:

and ~ I JUST LOVE ~ this tie configuration... which I am also HEAVILY leaning towards....

====

Let me know what everyone thinks, and what recommendations can be made to enhance the look.

Thanks for the time in looking/reading....

RESPECTS!

Last edited by deckardsenigma on Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:55 pm; edited 5 times in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
deckardsenigma
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Sweaters Reply with quote

andy wrote:
Rustyn242 wrote:

I completely forgot he was wearing the sweater in the last scene Embarassed

I used to have a sweater like that when I was in high school. It was a hand me down from a Norwegian friend. I have also seen sweater coats in the women's section of the thrift store that are also very close in knit and style. After all Gaff's coat was a woman's to begin with.

Andy

I was thinking the very same thing...

I will probably do some looking around through some Thrift shops and clothiers and (also) look about inside the Ladies sections, (while its still winter) and see whats about inside them.

One never knows what ~ (hidden treasures) ~ awaits one with a good eye, and maybe - "Lady Luck" - will shine down on me ~ Cool Wink

RESPECTS!!
deckardsenigma
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

propsjonnyb wrote:
Greetings ,
I hope everything goes well for you , I can help with a 'working' blaster ,as I have a conversion kit that will retrofit into (most) BR blasters that makes it a 'theatrical firing' blaster , it also make it more durable for cosiplay ( PM for more info ,but details on the Prop Shop page ) I also have a Magnoli Deckard jacket and trenchcoat for sale at cost ( these will fit a 'regular 42 to 44' suit size) and I would prefer to offer them here, rather than Ebay ! - again PM me for details) anything else I can do or help with, feel free to ask as I am 30 year vetteran building and restoring SCI-FI film and TV props

regards
propsjonnyb

I shall send a PM with inquires soon!

Thanks for the response!

Respects!
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adidas rocks! Good job . I would be interested to see what kind of blaster you have (always nice to see fan-made pieces). I don't know if Spinner44 is still making a wallet, but you could always PM him to see if he does.
deckardsenigma
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joberg wrote:
Adidas rocks! Good job .

I would be interested to see what kind of blaster you have (always nice to see fan-made pieces). I don't know if Spinner44 is still making a wallet, but you could always PM him to see if he does.

Thanks for reply and the positive feedback...

====

The Blaster ~

I will take some up close-up pictures of the Blaster that I have.

As I said, I don't remember who (actually) made it, but, it (seems) to be made of wood, as its light - yet - weighty - and the red LED lights (still) work!! ~ even after nearly 10 years! ~ even though I can not find the switch to turn them off, let alone even turn them on to begin with, because I didn't see one, unless I am missing it.

I think it will be perfect to use as a (FILLER) for the holster that I shall be getting, as that is the next item to be purchased.

====

The Wallet ~

I will use the one I am creating and as I go along, I shall improve on it.

Its (mostly) just an ~ imagined piece ~ as to what actually is placed inside is artistic license, and its been verified that NO BADGE was seen/used in the film, via RS statement, if I am not mistaken.

I (MAY STILL) reconsider having it made, but I will look about via (other) leather/shoe repair places and see if they can offer one at a lower charge and cost

====

Well...

Thanks for the REPLY!

Thanks for the SUPPORT!!

Its MUCH appreciated! ~

RESPECTS!!
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome; it's always a pleasure from members on this board to provide as much assistance to another member asking questions about our favorite subject. Very Happy
Rustyn242
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:39 am    Post subject: Some more shots as promised Reply with quote

More sweater shots:

detail of cuff of sweater and yarn color, his watch band & shoes

you can see just a bit more of the colors in the sweater he wears in the "riding into the sun" scene:

Hope these help.
btw. Who still makes the metal badges with Deckard's photo in the center?
-Rustyn242
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Costumes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: