FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Deckard Apartment Lamps
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bwade wanna
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Andy - nothing to apologize for - you had lots of insight and information that you perhaps took for granted in your presentation, which explains your confidence and conviction. I was the one who made an unsupported claim and tried to back it up with what I could see, but as you point out, much of Blade Runner's magic is in what we don't immediately see or what we think we see, which maybe explains why we keep watching it again and again and again... Smile

I will definitely spend more time reading the literature - thanks for inspiring me to do so!

Darren
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No question that these guys re-arrange the set again and again to achieve the right comp; let just say that they did a scene by scene, shot by shot comp everytime as Andy mentioned rightly before.
As I said also, this movie is about layers and more layers (we could do a Phd on BR and still find stuff we didn't catch).
"The-lamp-on-the-piano debate is just another way to examine, and debate, the beauty and the art of that film.
jameth
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While we are on the subject do any of the behind the scenes books have good pics and or layouts of the apartment. What I've scene posted so far does not show much.

BTW I thought my "I did it" joke was hilarious even though knowone commented on it Crying or Very sad
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not too much on the live action work has been published in book form yet. Charles de Lauzirika's work for the final cut anniversary sets has the most stuff I have ever seen in one place. A lot of different magazines and articles have some unique photos and stuff, but the dream of an "Art of Blade Runner" book lives on.

Also thanks for the support guys. I really don't want to turn into one of the arrogant expert guys like so many of the Star Wars experts at the RPF are. I learn something new everyday from all of you.

Thanks for the lively debates as always.

Andy
jameth
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy wrote:
Not too much on the live action work has been published in book form yet. Charles de Lauzirika's work for the final cut anniversary sets has the most stuff I have ever seen in one place. A lot of different magazines and articles have some unique photos and stuff, but the dream of an "Art of Blade Runner" book lives on.

Also thanks for the support guys. I really don't want to turn into one of the arrogant expert guys like so many of the Star Wars experts at the RPF are. I learn something new everyday from all of you.

Thanks for the lively debates as always.

Andy

Do not worry. Your knowledge is very valuable. I was sure, after seeing the post that it was a floor lamp. Now you have convinced me it may very well be a table lamp after all.

This is all fun and all good.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why I love Propsummit; no arrogance, people always willing to learn and apologizing when they made a mistake...in a few word: a bunch of classy people in my book Cool
jameth
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. I have had good luck at RPF but COW is the problem. Lot's of real big egoes and an unwillingness to share which is kind of the point to a discussion board. The worst is that some over there won't share, and maybe there is a good reason but what is really really obnoxious is they will state that they could help but will not.

If your that obnoxious don't point it out to people.
jameth
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to Lamps. My Dazor is in pretty good shape but the white shade is more yellow than others here. I'm gonna check to see if my plastics place can make a new one. I bet they can

Will update when I find out
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one in the Movie looks like it has the residue of a sticker on it Very Happy

Andy
jwprop

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:55 am    Post subject: This Photo Should Settle the Table Lamp Debate Reply with quote

I noticed this photo posted a while ago on another forum:

http://www.therpf.com/f9/blade-runner-web-props-original-pics-updated-507/index5.html

Page down to post 111, and you will see a profile of the piano set up (apologies for not being able to embed it here). Definitive proof that its the table lamp--unless of course that pole extends 5 feet, which other photos posted above show it doesn't.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, This photo shows exactly what we had suspected...

If there was any doubt still left that it was the table lamp, there can't be anymore.

Thank you for getting me to revisit an old favorite thread of mine at the RPF. For members the picture in question is on page 3 of the thread...

http://www.therpf.com/f9/blade-runner-web-props-original-pics-updated-507/index3.html

Andy
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's it: case close (not the Haliburton)...the lamp. Good research and discussion about it all
bwade wanna
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been a while sicne I visited the forum... And the first thread I looked for was this one. So... Anybody got a hat for me to eat? Embarassed

Good job, Andy!

Darren
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, we can see that the lamp is sitting atop of a box...with a little buddha near by. I'll have to find a box Rolling Eyes Confused
nexus42
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:16 pm    Post subject: deckards lamps Reply with quote

Here's something interesting! the light looks to be the a candidate for the lamps in Deckards kitchen ( lamps 5 ). They are the right size and made by Lightolier and Sonneman, and have been around a good few years.

They would have been easy to modify, just fit a collar around the lamps cylinder hang upside down and attach from the ceiling, cover the cable and support with flexible pipe. ( we never saw Deckard raise or lower the lamps ) why make things difficult? Although we are talking about Ridley Scott here.
Globe measures 9 inches diameter.

Here's the lamp upside down next to Deckards kitchen light, and the lamp with the globe removed.

Last edited by nexus42 on Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a ton of variations on this lamp. The globes are also sold still in hardware stores, so it would be very easy to make these. The unique part of these lamps are the collars which I have yet to identify. The corrugated tubes I also thing are off the shelf hardware store stuff.

Andy
nexus42
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:03 am    Post subject: deckards lamps Reply with quote

I agree there are lots of similar lights/lamps out there, these seem to fit the bill and match the size and shape of the suspended lights. As for those collars they would be easy to fabricate by the prop/set department working on the intricate sets of Blade runner?
Why make things more complicated when off the shelf items can be made to look futuristic, and they are only seen briefly in the film?

Last edited by nexus42 on Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I am saying is that the only visible part of these lamps (if used) is the globe. The globes and the tubes are standard parts. There could be anything inside those tubes. The lamp would still have to be suspended and lengthened. It would be just as easy, if not easier to make the whole thing from scratch. Nothing matches the lamp except the globe, It would make more sense to use a standing lamp which many have the screws to hold these globes into place (the small one you show likely does not have these), and would have a longer length.

Your link is also not working because it does not work with the format here. Here is a link to your pic without the tags...
http://propsummit.com/upload/666/decs_kitchen_with_lights_2010-07-25_14-39-23

Andy
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some other "Potentials" to show you what I am talking about.

I have seen lamps that are similar in hotel lobby's in the 80's and 90's. They would all make a better starting point thank a table lamp. The tubing is also a type of underground drainage or electrical tubing.

Andy
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a pic of the tubing in place...

And stuff about the right size used for making Otter Hults(?)...
http://www.filcris.co.uk/products/product-details/ottertube

Andy
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: