FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Finally ID'd Shot Glass dispenser
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkknight0667
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sethb6025 wrote:
Anyone have any luck restoring the functionality of the pump? I've got an intact orange globe set and wish I could fill it with some scotch. I can't tell if its just that the seal between the screw-in pump and the decanter is bad, or if it is something internal with the spout section (that doesn't seem to disassemble?).

Great question!

I've got two dispensers (one with a chrome globe and one without), and neither of them will pump anything through. I'd love to get them working again.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of the 4 I have only one seems to work well (I have one in a box that I have never tested though). They have rubber gaskets in them and in most they have dried out and cracked. The one in the pump itself seems to be the hardest to replace. If the rubber in yours isn't cracked you may have some luck reconditioning it. I plan on taking a trip to the hardware store again soon to see if i can find other things that will work too.

Andy
sethb6025
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one that is visible (sealing pump to threaded bottle neck) is dried out, as you'd expect a 50 year old rubber washer to be. Very Happy If there are any internally it will be a difficult fix. Teflon packing (looks like a white string, found with plumbing supplies) might be a good option as you can replace odd-sized washers or o-rings with it. Over the weekend I may take a shot at getting it functioning again. We'll see how it turns out.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problems with rubber is maintaining the material flexible and without any cracks or stress. A trick that I always used, with a fair amount of success, is vaseline or baby oil. When applied generously, the rubber tend to recover its flexibility and, in this particular case, its sealing properties.
Of course, any type of alcohol will have the tendency of drying up the rubber; therefore, the maintenance of the seal would have to be done everyday.
darkknight0667
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the seal would (theoretically) come into contact with the liquid to be ingested, I'd think that Vaseline and baby oil would be very bad choices as they'd ruin the drink and probably your stomach, too.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one near the bottle looks pretty standard and may be able to be replaced with a sink washer. The one in the top of the pump should not come in contact with any liquid and is only to force air into the bottle. Still looking at as many options as possible with it.

Andy
sethb6025
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While it'd be nice to re-hydrate the rubber it is dried beyond repair. Plus I think the petroleum in the vaseline would break down the rubber over time.
darkknight0667
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sethb6025 wrote:
Plus I think the petroleum in the Vaseline would break down the rubber over time.

Something we should all have remembered from health class.
ironfist
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL!
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I failed to explain myself clearly; after dabbing, or rubbing, or soaking your rubber seal into vaseline, you`ll have to remove any trace of said vaseline with a cloth soaked in vinegar...as to not transfer any vaseline into your drink of choice. After more than 30 years the rubber seal of my old Philco fridge is still soft, with no cracks of any kind
ironfist
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if your actually running a 30 year old fridge I feel for your electric bill!!!! YIKES!!!!!!!!!
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually the Philco is a 1952 model...I bought it 30 years ago and it works like a charm. Since the insulation is twice as thick as a fridge today, that baby comes on only twice a day: love it!! Very Happy
sethb6025
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here we are gentlemen, an exploded view of our pump assembly;

With this rubber seal being the real bastard, if you'll excuse the crass language. Wink

This is most definitely a purpose-made seal and not something you'll find at the plumbing supply house. Upon inspecting the inside of the top part of the pump I discovered some very aged clay-based lubricant/sealant, something very similar to plumber's putty. It makes sense, as that would keep the seal between the metal of the pump and the rubber gasket, but allow for smooth operation. The gasket should be replaced, the rubber is too far gone. I think the only realistic option is to mold and reproduce a replacement gasket. The good news is the washer between the bottle neck and the pump bottom was easy to make by tracing the old one onto some new gasket material and cutting it out. I did attempt to do the same for the pump gasket, but I believe the lip is critical to its operation. Some trial and error awaits! I'll post results as they come.
ironfist
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I found bothh that look like yours and they dont pump SQUAT!!!!!
E-Wan
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the consensus that these should cost around $20? I saw one with the tray version 1 in an antique store and was thinking about picking it up.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$20 is a steal. Most of the time I see them around $30-$50, especially if you calculate in any shipping. That would also be for non-working pumps too. The few I saw in antique stores went for over $100. I have looked regularly online and $20 is the about cheapest I have seen them for without shipping. Shipping usually adds around another $15 to them as well.

Andy
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$20 dollars for the whole thing? Shocked Buy it now! As Andy said, I never saw those at less than $100.
E-Wan
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think I misread some of the posts in the thread regarding price. Thanks for the info guys, I'll go in and try to see what price I can get.
Rodney
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GRRRRRR!

So I have been wanting one of these liquor dispenser/shot glass sets for a long time. I periodically would browse through eBay looking for just the right one with the correct blue bands used in Blade Runner and in good condition. Preferably one of the chrome sphere ones with the bowler on top. Wonder of wonders what do I see but 4 or 5 sets that finally all meet my criteria!

I pick one out and promptly purchase.

Then it starts to go down hill.

The seller emails me and says that UPS is closed in his area (what?) and asks if he can send it Priority mail instead. Even thought the listing said UPS for shipping. I say sure, as long as it gets here.

Eons pass.

I email him and ask for a tracking number.
Long story short, He says he sent it regular mail and not priority mail, no tracking number. I had to file a claim and get a refund, but all of the other sets I was looking at are all gone now. There is one still on eBay but has the wrong bands.

I dont think they guy ever sent it. In his description he mentioned something about "other like it have sold for over $150" and I won the auction for $22.

Oh well. The search continues. I am sure another one will pop up sooner or later.
jfuste
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rodney, check this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1950s-PUMP-DECANTER-ROTATING-SHOT-GLASS-LIQUOR-SET-/260740309647?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cb555628f
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: