FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Original film gun in display case
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
racprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny as I can see some that do match mine...

The detail just next to the binding post on the side cover, I just reworked and this is like my old cover...and not totaly correct either...and it looks hacked around the screw...

The larger than it was, (as was mine) white switch is a lot like my old one...Now replaced.

I have taken one of my Strye Recivers and sanded and polished it to high lustor and gotten that kind of look...

Yes someone took some extra time and did a very good job, but there has been other that were as well done, with models from Sid and me that have been made to look as good, right down to the rust and ware...

Rich

andy wrote:
It doesn't match anything of your Earlier work Rich at all (I can find umpteen differences, some major), and I can't see the serial # clearly enough to say it is the same as the hero. It does look like it could match though. I will take a closer look at your new work to see if it is also a better match. It could be I suppose, but whomever did this really knew what they were doing when they put it together. This is one of the best versions of the gun I have ever seen. The one thing that puzzles me is the Damage to the cylinder cover edge to the left of the Steyr lever bottom.

Andy

eltee
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mystery continues ... Confused

FWIW...I REALLY like the look of the Steyr on the "Mystery" blaster.
DeckB26354
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW! There's a lot there to think about! My gut reaction is it is unlike any replica I have ever seen. But that doesn't mean it isn't.

The one detail that really impresses me is the shape of the top of the grip; if you look at that curve right at the top and the way it goes down and then slightly up away from the receiver. I have NEVER seen that before or since except on the Hero Prop.

We HAVE to ask for some better photos!
racprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OR mine...and it is a little too much away from the real cover....

I need a crash course on how to post pistures here with a photo hosting service called dropbox...

Check out http://www.getdropbox.com/help/18 sideview.

Rich

DeckB26354 wrote:
WOW! There's a lot there to think about! My gut reaction is it is unlike any replica I have ever seen. But that doesn't mean it isn't.

The one detail that really impresses me is the shape of the top of the grip; if you look at that curve right at the top and the way it goes down and then slightly up away from the receiver. I have NEVER seen that before or since except on the Hero Prop.

We HAVE to ask for some better photos!

dcarty
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. Note the position of the button head allan screw next to the Steyr safety catch. It looks like it's right next to the catch on the auction gun, practically touching it, and is maybe 1/16" or so away on the mystery gun.

eltee wrote:
The mystery continues ... Confused

eltee
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly attributable to different camera angles, or position of the safety itself which slides horizontally to engage / disengage. Or, just different guns. Cool
racprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry but both are drilled and screwed into the receiver...

Neither can move.

So it is another misstake.

Rich

PS Someone email/pm me and exsplaing how to post pictures here...

I can not seem to get the trick...

Rich
racprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUT on some of mine that did happen, the safety ended up lower that it should be opening a gap like that.

I have said it before, my little misstakes end up being tells.

Rich
DeckB26354
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well spotted on the small screw next to the latch. It really looks like it is not quite the same as the hero, though the angle is difficult.

I have to say though, the LED holders on the side and the bottom look perfect and that is what impresses me the most. And I mean PERFECT. I cannot fault them. Even the profile of the underside one in one of the photos looks great. Also is that rust I see on the head of the support screw from the under shot or is it just a trick of the lighting?

Andy, your right; there is definite damage to the right side plate "lip". Why would someone replicate that? Aluminium is afterall a soft metal but that detail doesn't sit well with a "replica".
eltee
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

racprops wrote:

PS Someone email/pm me and exsplaing how to post pictures here...

I can not seem to get the trick...

Rich

Rich, you can email them to me as JPEG attachments and I'll post them up for you.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you right click on the picture where you are hosting it, and click properties. Then you can copy and paste the URL into your message. Then with the URL highlighted click the image button (no spaces). If it doesn't work I can try and fix it for you.

Andy
Staar
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys .. haven't had much of a chance to visit here much but this thread caught my eye... !!

Indeed a fascinating discovery but as some others hare have said, its my opinion that the wealthy man has been duped. Besides the very interesting combination of pieces making this up, the fact that this blaster's Steyr upper is in such pristine condition convinces me that this can't be of the same age/vintage as the original - unless it was never exposed to the wet set that is....

It certainly is not a Sidkit and Rich, sorry mate I doubt its one of yours either . I believe what we have here is a baster built up from a real steyr upper and possibly even a real bulldog (see Adam Savage's personal build) and the person building it has then supplemented the build by using elements of Rich's gun and possibly even the Sidkit cover on the other side - as Adam did. The reason I feel the upper is real is by looking at the crispness of the upper machining and the precise match of the font. The difference in the blueing is also interesting and the clean (unmarked) bolt is another thing that makes me think its a real part - and not of the original vintage....

BTW, have a look how far back this screw is from the safety catch...

(EDIT: I should have credited DeckB26354 for the exquisite pic of his build (I figured everyone knew who's it was). For those interested, his thread is here: http://www.propsummit.com/viewtopic.php?t=643&highlight=)

The binding post looks as if it could be real but the absence of the Weaver is also interesting... Of course it could also be a modified Tomenosuke but I have my doubts....

My tuppence worth.......

Regards

MARK

Last edited by Staar on Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:32 am; edited 2 times in total
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mark for that pic Shocked . Well, we've established one thing for sure: it's a real Steyr upper. O.k. next: no rust (unused weapon for sure). A modified Tomo...maybe. Coyle/Sid add-ons...maybe. Butt plate and triggers? Serial# on the Steyr? Pics from the other side of the gun are missing, so we only have one side to compare with the auction one Crying or Very sad The plot thickens
BeastMaster
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark: Thats DeckB26354's blaster. He used a real styre and some coyle parts. They look pretty simular, though this mystery prop definately bears a 5223 serial.

still think it's a modified Tomenosuke Wink
Staar
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BeastMaster wrote:
Mark: Thats DeckB26354's blaster. He used a real styre and some coyle parts. They look pretty simular, though this mystery prop definately bears a 5223 serial.

still think it's a modified Tomenosuke Wink

LOL...

Yep I know the picture I showed is DeckB26354's blaster - magnificent isn't it!!

I thought the shot illustrated the points I was trying to make regarding the genuine parts and the sourced items like Rich's and Sids side covers...
Your eyes are certainly much better than mine because I like to think I can see the 5223 serial number but in all honesty I would never stand in a court of Law to testify it being so... Very Happy

I'm not convinced its a Tomen but then he could have used the Tomen parts in the same way he might have used Rich's - ie. using the genuine Steyr upper. If he used a Tomen upper, then the screw would have been in the correct place and surely the Weaver would have been left where it is??

Regards

MARK

Last edited by Staar on Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
DeckB26354
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy
Guys, this is NOT my blaster! Thank you for the compliment and I wish it was but my grips , tigger and ammo housing LED's are nowhere near as good as this one. I only wish it was!!

http://propsummit.com/upload/303/small.jpg
http://propsummit.com/upload/303/small2.jpg

I have Rich's grips as they are the closest to the Amber colour that I have seen. This other one has more Orange grips (unless it the light) which remind me of the Sidkit look. Too orange. So the comp of various part theory couls well be right. Also, the serial is definitely 5223 in my opinion. Another clue to it being a replica?
phase pistol
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind that anyone could have gotten a hands-on examination of the hero prop when it was being auctioned... and they've had what, a year to work up a replica? Shocked
DeckB26354
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah good point Karl.

Actually I just realsied looking back through this post what I should be saying is I'm not some rich film producer and I'm not living in some fancy house in LA! Only wish I was!!!

That Tomen looks awesome. How much are they again?
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it just the fuzzy pics, or does this mystery blaster have smooth triggers? And the bevel around the big side screw seems kind of oddly shaped as well.

I'm voting that it's a franken-kit built by a very talented person, maybe a gunsmith, and probably made to con someone out of cash. I hate to be cynical, but it certainly seems to be the case.

Do you think they paid $300,000 for it?

Shocked
DeckB26354
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what to think anymore!

The more I look at it the more I like certain details:

I have worked a little on some of the photos posted.

1. In my opinion it definitely carries the 5223 Serial.
2. The curve of the top of the grip. I have yet to see that on any replica.
3. The "teeth" of the binding post look very similar and I can't quite put my finger on why.

I think we are all agreed that this was made by someone who really knew what they were doing. I am going to PM the guy and see if he can get any more better photos!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: