FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Original film gun in display case
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
racprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ridleyville wrote:
I stand well and truly corrected. What a fantastic subject this is.

Say have you read my articles on Blade Runner at www.racprops.com ?

RIch
ridleyville
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am on my way, thanks for the invitation.
racprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And you might like my friends site;

http://props.steinschneider.com/

Rich
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the stunts were one piece rubber and all black.

Some of the stunts the cops had in their holsters had their grips painted an orange, almost wood grain that may have been trying to simulate the amber grips.

Deckard is also seen in a few shots with a rubber stunt that has the orange grips attached, albeit shrunken and deformed ones. This stunt is at the Seattle Sci-Fi museum. This may have been what some people have referred to as the "2nd hero" or "hero stunt". It is the gun that gets pulled through the wall at Sebastian's apartment by Roy. You can even see the seam on top.

Nobody except Deckard and Holden for one brief split second ever drew their guns. There would never have been a need for multiples except as holster fillers.

Some resources here...
http://www.imfdb.org/index.php?title=Blade_Runner (created by our own Noeland Collins)

An oldie but a goodie..
http://brprops.com/MO_weapons_deckard.php
Unfortunately a lot of Shawn's info is outdated and incorrect. It hasn't been updated in years, but his site got me started.

Andy
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes and let's not forget the scene when Leon trew the gun away in the street before his battle with Deckard: that's not the hero gun believe me!
eltee
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy wrote:
Most of the stunts were one piece rubber and all black. ...

Some of the stunts the cops had in their holsters had their grips painted an orange, almost wood grain that may have been trying to simulate the amber grips.

Andy

This may have also been a way of adding another touch of realism. When I was a rookie cop we all were issued the same sidearm. We all quickly went out and bought / ordered different grips to suit our needs, shooting technique, pocket book and sense of style. Maybe the street cops had wood grips, others had the black rubber style grips and others had the amber grips.
racprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joberg wrote:
Yes and let's not forget the scene when Leon trew the gun away in the street before his battle with Deckard: that's not the hero gun believe me!

Well in fact Leon slapped the gun out of Deckard's have, Deckard tried to draw it and Leon just swatted it right out of his hand...

Rich
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eltee wrote:
andy wrote:
Most of the stunts were one piece rubber and all black. ...

Andy

This may have also been a way of adding another touch of realism. When I was a rookie cop we all were issued the same sidearm. We all quickly went out and bought / ordered different grips to suit our needs, shooting technique, pocket book and sense of style. Maybe the street cops had wood grips, others had the black rubber style grips and others had the amber grips.

Absolutely. No two cops seem to be dressed exactly alike. Slightly different goggles and faceplates and such. It is possible the stunt guns may have started out being stunts for Deckard for when it gets smacked out of his hand by Leon. Even the "Hero Stunt" had the brittle plastic grips that would have shattered being tossed from that distance. When not in use for that scene it would likely be used to spice up a uniform or two. We know at least a few were made in each configuration, All black, Black and painted with grips, Black with Resin Grips added. I also heard that like the miniature spinner effects models, many more were pulled from the molds by the mold makers for themselves, and to give to the crew working on the film.

Interestingly one of the best shots that helped us ID the worldcon as the "hero" model is the scene where Deckard drops his Gun climbing the bookcase at Sebastian's. I am sure they only dropped it from a few feet, but the damage to the grips may have been caused at this point. A pretty risky thing to do, but any serious damage would have been replaceable except for the grips. Since it looks like the Green LED's might be working here, and no white wires are visible, it may have been early in shooting at least the Bradbury scenes. It may even explain why the white wires were cut, if they had to replace the Clip with the red LEDs and battery, they may have just said "Fuck it" and not reconnected it for the scene when Deckard is stalking along the wall. We were pretty sure the wires were covered with black electrical tape at some point too. The actual piece of tape was sold at auction with the gun Very Happy

Andy
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For consolidation of info here is a thread showing the gun used and drawn by Holden. Very much looks like one of the stunts....
http://propsummit.com/viewtopic.php?t=716&highlight=stunt

Andy
propsjonnyb
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with almost everything said upto a point and the scene Andy refers to is one I have the most trouble with as in any film production you'd always have a 'hero' standby prop for scenes like this , unless you used a stunt prop- as dropping the 'real' gun from that height might damage it - so you'd use a stunt one fixed up with electronics , rather than the 'real' one and the subtle cutting would swap between stunt and 'real' oncethe prop was on the floor.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watch the scene. I am sure the one he dropped from up high is a stunt, but the one hitting the ground is not, and there is no cutting at that point. Supposedly the hero cost so much to make another one was never made, and the gunsmith left production part way through (this is what Phil S. States in his article). Since the gun was supposed to look beat up and was made from very durable parts for the most part, I think they may have just been willing to chance it. Knowing Ridley he probably insisted on the shot despite the fears of the prop handlers.

Andy
racprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I agree with Andy, the cocking lever pops open in the droped gun shot, no stunt woulld /could do that.

Rich
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy's right; knowing Ridley he gambled with the hero when dropping it on the floor (I would say a foot...two feet sounds scary Shocked )...another question to ask him when some of us will have the chance.
Eltee, Andy, Rich: you're right about customized side arms/rifles in the Police Forces/Army, etc...that's why it's fun to see so many stunts being used in BR.
Gaff87
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

racprops wrote:
And I agree with Andy, the cocking lever pops open in the droped gun shot, no stunt woulld /could do that.

Rich

Yep.
Just what i was about to say.

Neil.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think PJB might have been insinuating that there could be a second full metal hero. I know we had back on the RPF identified it at as the same gun from Karl's Worldcon photos because of the scratches on the butt plate and other unique details. I will have to go back and reread the thread again to be more specific, but I know we had no doubt it was the same gun.

Andy
racprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again Andy and I are in totally agreement.

There is a mark/scratches on the butt plate that is in the shape of a 1/2 curve, and for many years many of us was convinced it was a round depression in the butt plate.

When all it was is scratches and these is one of a kind of a mark.

Along with the missing paint on the handle frame just above the butt plate is one of a kind marks that only show up on the hero.

And these only show up in every shot of the gun in every close up.

The only other gun in a close up is the rubber stunt used in the fight for the gun though the wall. And that is only one shot at the wall.

The Hero is used just before Batty punches thought the wall, then the stunt when they struggle, then the hero again when Batty takes the gun from Deckard’s hand, and breaks his fingers, the hero again when he gives the gun back and the hero when Deckard pulls it back though the wall, and then tries to shoot Batty.

And as does the flat round head screw on the cocking lever side cover, every shot of the gun on the right side, all have this screw, the weaver knob never shows up in any shot.

Rich
propsjonnyb
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't insinuating anything , all I was saying was stating a fact, every fim set I've ever been on and that's a few ( probably not as many as Rich ), whenever a gunsmith is employed or prop guns used in a film or TV show for that matter, there is always a back up hero ! - simply to save valuable production time if ever there was a problem for whatever reason - granted you do get films where the guns are limited in terms of firing weapons eg Aliens., and they pad them out with non-working resin or rubber stunt ones. In my 30 odd years of involvement in this industry - again granted on the fringe and also by association -, I have not come across any other film, in production, where only one weapon was ever made or used. Especially when the hero prop ( gun) is featured heavily in many scenes. Andy and Rich are both right about the hero and it's identification absolutely !!, but I still say it's highly unusual to find a film, that features only one gun , and on a final florish - what about Leon's hero ?? only one ???
racprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

propsjonnyb is totally right that two hero props minimum is the rule.

I too thought there had to be second gun/prop.
Blade Runner broke many rules and this seems to be one.

Leon’s gun is a common unchanged store bought gun other that the two barrel trick, but again perhaps there was only one on set.

One way to think of it is there is only on Harrison Ford as well.

Rich
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were some stories that a second firing gun was made using a bulldog and Rubber Stunt for the Steyr parts. Only here say and never in any way validated. It is also possible that they may have tried to make a second hero, but trying to match the first, with cutting up another very expensive rifle to match something that was basicly hand done to begin with, may have been a totally improbable task. I heard both Rich and Craig Kovach went through a lot of test versions before they got a configuration to work, and in Rich's case that was with resin casts of the Steyr, and not a real Steyr made of hardened gun steel.

The Hero is a little crooked in spots. Anybody who has ever had to custom fit two parts together know that two custom fit parts never fit the same way twice. I forgot what the bill for the first gun was, but if I remember correctly it was astronomical, well over $40,000. Less than it is worth now of course Very Happy

Andy
Andy
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich is right also when he said: "BR broke many rules and it seems one of them"...was that they didn't have 2 hero guns. The more I see, for example, the scene with Holden, the more I see the stunt one being used for that scene.
Andy is also right to say that when putting 2 different pieces of 2 different kind of weapons together to make 1 whole gun, you'll run into technical/engineering problems that will necessitate some major fixing to now make that weapon work! And to come back to the main topic: that gun in the glass case has a real Steyr piece attached to...a real Bulldog?...or another model with machined parts? As I said before: gunsmith/professional propmaker; this is not the work of an amateur.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: