FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Has anyone noticed....

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grimmy
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:46 am    Post subject: Has anyone noticed.... Reply with quote

That there has been so many blasters up for sale on ebay...especially sidkits..I never seen so much sold in the past few weeks and also coyles, offword and old prototype models... is there something that I'm missing here or is this normal?
clutch
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People smell $$$.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several possible reasons...

1-The economy. People just need a few extra bucks. Remember taxes are due soon too.
2-Sale prices. Some good high prices have influenced people to sell them now because they as stated above "smell money". This also seems to happen a lot if the movie is in the news for any reason, so they are marketing toward speculators.
3-Upgrading. People may have picked up one of the newer versions of the gun and are deciding to get rid of their older versions. People may not even have the newer guns, but just may see pictures of a new replica or even the real thing and it makes them feel a bit disappointed about their version.
4-Family. Many people who have bought these in the last 10-20 now have a family and kids, and situations may make them feel like it is not okay to have a realistic gun prop around the house anymore, or they get pressure from their other half to "grow up" Wink

Actually I have seen moments when these things show up in groups every few years regardless. There are more replicas than ever too, adding to that "random discharge" of their replica firearms. Wink

Andy
Grimmy
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy that does make sense. Altough wouldn't a sidkit be the most valuable blaster due to the makers passing? I wouldn't sell my sidkit for a newer version out of respect but then again if I had money I would have a lot of blasters Crying or Very sad
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sidkit made a ton of his replicas, and since he made them as kits most people just never get around to assembling them, and unlikely have the time to work on them. Also now that Rich is offering a new metal version of his gun, also in kit form, it overshadows any one version by itself in a similar vein. Since most people can only rationalize affording one of these at a time (not too many of us are willing to collect multiples of these), the older ones usually devalue . Remember most collectibles start off as something cheap to begin with...coins, stamps, pez, action figures, so rarity is more important to them, as opposed to accuracy and coolness factor for these. I have some very rare inaccurate and accurate ones that I picked up cheap on ebay, mainly because they were resin. Rarity is factored into the final price of these higher end versions from the get go, since they are all made in limited numbers to begin with.

Andy
Bwood
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Rarity is factored into the final price of these higher end versions from the get go, since they are all made in limited numbers to begin with.

Yes, and with Sid's untimely passing, his blasters have become more collectible now that no more will be made, no?
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes but the effect seems negligible. The prices are still close to what they were fetching when he was alive. Considering that back at that time period there were also a bunch of blaster runs still going on including Sid's, the Offworld, The Coyle, and Rick's short runs. There was more competition, but prices for his were still pretty high at times. Though I do remember when they were fetching less than $300 online because he had them on ebay constantly, one after the other. I do think his worldcon version is the rarest, and will probably still go up in price, but considering his original price was around $400 for the kit, there is a lot of room for them to go up.

Andy
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> The Coffee Shop All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: