FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Plating of just about anything, 3D scanning, maching, etc

View previous topic :: View next topic  
silverfoxx03
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:39 pm    Post subject: Plating of just about anything, 3D scanning, maching, etc Reply with quote

I posted this over on the RPF but for those of you who arent member there--here you go:

Just wanted to inform everyone that I have partnered with a company that has given me access to all of their vast resources. They are a global company but the owner is one of those guys who is just a normal Joe. This has opened some doors that are fantastic for doing a lot of the projects that everyone here wants to do.

As an example, he has a proprietary process where he can metal coat just about ANY substrate. The types of colors he can do are fantastic. I saw samples of the materials and looked at one piece I swore was all metal and it was plastic and resin. He had chrome, Nickel silver, brass, bronze, black chrome, golds, reds, etc--I was blown away!! I dont know the costs on this yet but he is looking at one part for me and I will get back on this one.

My friend Bobby C was with me and we were both speechless. Our minds were racing.

He said he can even coat wood if the surface is prepared properly . I will verify this also.
Anyhow, he has 3D scanning, rapid prototype, CNC machining, design, etc--and the list goes on.

Just wanted to offer this all up to everyone here.
All of these services do come with costs associated as does everything., but depending on the project, It will probably be less than normal.

EXAMPLE: I got cost for laser scanning and creating a watertight STL file for rapid prototyping-SLA SLS that is 22" tall from 3 other companies and they were all in the $1000-$1800 price range and I am getting it done for $650.
Then to "grow" the pieces in reduced size down to 18", 16", and 14" I got prices for ONE piece that was $3400 for the 18" size.
I am getting all 3 of them done for less than that!!.

So throw something at us and we will see what we can do.

PLEASE dont ask for free stuff or "do this one for nothing and you will get the rest of the business", etc--. It is a business but we are willing to work with you on projects to make it as affordable as possible.

I currently dont have samples of the metals or anything but am working on getting stuff (sample pieces)together. When I have this I will post photos.

If you have capabilities to give us the CAD files for those types of pieces--that would greatly reduce a lot of the costs as well.

I shared with him what I do and what all of you here do and he is interested as he has not been associated with this industry before but is very willing and excited to help.

In order to speed up the process here and eliminate answering questions multiple times and clogging up the thread-- if anyone who has a project that they are interested in doing send me and email at :sculpts@eaglewoodtc.com and put in the subject line what you are interesed in getting quotes for

Please include the following if possible.

1. photos with the material(s) it is made of
2. what color of plating you want- (if plating is requested)
3. approximate square footage of the item. etc,
4. other appropriate information

I will take them all and see about getting quotes for everything and if it can be done

I will then post items that can or cannot be done so everyone will know.

For any other work requests please do the same with reference to the process you are inquiring about in the subject line

Anyway--the info is out there now!

Thanks
ironfist
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have an Indiana jones idol that needs to get done. What do you reckon that would run?
silverfoxx03
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ironfist wrote:
i have an Indiana jones idol that needs to get done. What do you reckon that would run?

Im checking on it--I have another request for this also. Will get back with you!
ironfist
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NICE!!!! YEARSSSSSSSSSS Ago I had found a place online that electro plated and they actually had prices for idols and Cylon armor!!!!
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip Silverfoxx03; I'm sure a lot of people on this board will find these prices interesting indeed!
Bwood
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They've been bronzing baby shoes for years - is this any different? Confused
Cable

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so the obvious question: how much to "metalize" a resin BR blaster?
silverfoxx03
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cable wrote:
OK, so the obvious question: how much to "metalize" a resin BR blaster?

Please read the thread and supply the necessary information. I am not able to just throw prices and numbers out there without going to my guy and showing him what is required.
Thanks
propsjonnyb
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This I suspect is a professional plating shop, so I would expect premium prices and premium results, I've been electoplating 'bits and pieces' for years at home with MicroMark's plating kits which give good resuts for a fairly inexpensive outlay, a kit is about $50 dollars ,additional consumables are the fluids involved which run at about $15 , electoplating resin is not a difficult process , all you have to do is give the resin a coat of an electroconductive spray/film, prior to start plating The spray is a little more expensive at $145 but that will cover a lot of resin ,to get to a surface capable of 'Blueing' you have to first copperplate the resin , then nickel plate the copper, so it's a two stage process, you can't nickleplate resin directly you can also chromeplate as well , but by using both nickel and chrome, you get the different effects when you 'blue' that are needed for a realistic blaster , a set of the above- would be enough to do about 50 full 'resin' blasters.
Cable

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

propsjonnyb wrote:
This I suspect is a professional plating shop, so I would expect premium prices and premium results, I've been electoplating 'bits and pieces' for years at home with MicroMark's plating kits which give good resuts for a fairly inexpensive outlay, a kit is about $50 dollars ,additional consumables are the fluids involved which run at about $15 , electoplating resin is not a difficult process , all you have to do is give the resin a coat of an electroconductive spray/film, prior to start plating The spray is a little more expensive at $145 but that will cover a lot of resin ,to get to a surface capable of 'Blueing' you have to first copperplate the resin , then nickel plate the copper, so it's a two stage process, you can't nickleplate resin directly you can also chromeplate as well , but by using both nickel and chrome, you get the different effects when you 'blue' that are needed for a realistic blaster , a set of the above- would be enough to do about 50 full 'resin' blasters.

Thanks for the info!
ironfist
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lets be honest there are only about 8 parts in a resin kit that would need to be plated.
handle filler plate and butt plate (2)
bulldog reciver and barrel (2)
Styr receiver and bolt (2)
Finger guard and lasr sight (2)
I dont even see a need to really do the chamber, but I guess that would be up to the owner.
silverfoxx03
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cable wrote:
propsjonnyb wrote:

Thanks for the info!

I cant say for sure if this is the process, but Im sure its along the same lines. Sounds reasonable. I do know that they have developed some proprietery processes tho.
hirohawa
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM sent
hirohawa
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never heard back from you. Is this not happening anymore?
propsjonnyb
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I'mwondering too,I'm only a small hobbyist , so I can't do pieces of any large size ,so would be intersted in 3-D modelling, CNCi'ng and rapid proto typing particularly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> The Prop Shop All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: