FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
What do people think?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
amish
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:18 am    Post subject: What do people think? Reply with quote

Though I would open a discussion to see what you all think of the place so far. I am open to suggestions and comments. Please do not be afraid to be brutal

Thanks!

Tom
Osmotic
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tom

In the announcement thread you said:

If you have any questions please feel free to contact us at propsummit@propsummit.com

Unless I’ve missed it I can’t find any reference on the forum to who ‘us’ are. Could you let me know ?

Thanks
darkknight0667
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Kevin -

Tom is the head of this little shindig, and I'm pretty sure that he's the one that would receive any e-mails sent to that address.

He's been kind enough to ask me to be one of his "Community Guides" (I told him that a title like that makes it feel like I should wear a 'coon skin cap like Daniel Boone Laughing ), so you can always shoot me a PM or e-mail if you've got any questions.

I think that it's only the two of us manning the helm here at the moment, but more "guides" may be added later if the size of the community warrants it.

Welcome aboard!

Pete
amish
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kevin,

Pete nailed it on the head. If there is anything you need, please do not hesitate to ask

Take care,

Tom
Osmotic
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, always nice to know the command structure.

And it’s nice to be here. Very Happy

Here’s to your new venture.
darkknight0667
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't exactly call us a "command structure". From what I understand, we're more custodians and aides. We'll dive in where needed and move any conflicts into "The Pit" so as to keep the prop discussions tidy, but we won't be censoring anything nor censuring anyone. Beyond that, our duties are pretty much consigned to keeping the peanut bowls filled and the fridge stocked with beer (though we'll leave a few warm ones out on the counter for you wacky Brits . )

Let us know if there's anything else we can do for you.
amish
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhhh Warm Beer Reminds me of college.

Pete has really spoken as to what we will be doing. This forum was created for the prop community to use at their discretion. It is not our duty nor our place to censor people's thoughts or opinions about the hobby.

I decided on the term community guide as I do not see us as leaders or anything of that nature. We are simply here to help keep things going.

Take care,

Tom
Osmotic
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
(though we'll leave a few warm ones out on the counter for you wacky Brits . )

Hey, don’t knock it till you try it. Laughing

Many have championed the idea of a prop board free of censorship. I’m still not entirely sure what it is that needs to be said on a hobby forum that must be so feverishly defended but I really do wish you the very best of luck and hope I can contribute positively to a blossoming community.

K
darkknight0667
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think of merging the RPF's Prop Talk with the moderating (or lack thereof) of Doc's OT board, and you'll have a pretty good idea of how the place will feel.

Feel free to express your opinion about things as you wish.

If a disagreement between folks gets heated, it'll be trimmed from the main discussion and moved to it's own thread in the Pit where it can continue to a resolution (hopefullly) without interfering with the prop talk.

If necessary, we can always institute a monthly hot-oil wrestling match where the parties will be represented by one of two lovely ladies (my personal preference would be the Gibson sisters, CJ and Raquel) and whosever representative wins the match will be declared the winner of the argument. Sounds fair, doesn't it?
KarlBud420
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's capricious and abritrary! I like it!

So who's working on banners so we can advertise this place???

Bruce
jhyphen
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Many have championed the idea of a prop board free of censorship. I’m still not entirely sure what it is that needs to be said on a hobby forum that must be so feverishly defended but I really do wish you the very best of luck and hope I can contribute positively to a blossoming community.

You haven't followed my character arc, I take it?

Very Happy
Osmotic
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You haven't followed my character arc, I take it?

Laughing

John, I think it would be hard to find someone who hasn’t.

It’s not so much the rights issue more the necessity for the content in relation to the media.

If this forum lets us voice our disapproval for bad moderation (Guidance Wink ) decisions that’s great and I applaud the fortitude behind it. However if it’s opens up a unnecessary and disruptive battle of words between old adversaries then I could do without it.
amish
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howdy guys,

I feel quite good in saying that Pete and I can handle any bashing you may throw at us.

As for this:
Quote:
However if it’s opens up a unnecessary and disruptive battle of words between old adversaries then I could do without it.

That is what The Pit is for. If you dont want to read about anything adversarial or anything that may be deemed problematic, dont go in there Though at the moment it is empty, so I see no harm in going in now...lol

As for banners, my photoshop skills are not great, so I will gladly take any help I can get.

For now please feel free to use this one:

located here:
http://home.comcast.net/~maestrosa/PSsigRPF.gif

If you have any questions or concerns, please let us know.

Take care,

Tom
darkknight0667
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Osmotic"]
If this forum lets us voice our disapproval for bad moderation (Guidance Wink ) decisions that’s great and I applaud the fortitude behind it. However if it’s opens up a unnecessary and disruptive battle of words between old adversaries then I could do without it.[/quote]

This is probably the best part of the ideals behind this forum, Kevin. Those "unnecessary and disruptive battles" will be trimmed from the prop discussion and moved, in their entirety to "The Pit", where they can continue for as long as necessary for the combatants to come to an understanding, or just get too tired to argue about it anymore. This way, only those interested in reading/participating in the battle need be bothered by it. Those interested in the original prop discussion can continue with the relevent parts, undisturbed by the virtual fisticuffs going on elsewhere.

Tom and I do not plan on censoring anyone's words. Nor will we play nanny and shake our disapproving fingers at members because they started an argument with someone. We're going to hope that y'all will play nice and treat each other with the respect you wish to be treated with in return. But, we're not naive enough to think that there won't be conflicts. All we ask is that you fight clean. No hitting below the belt. No real world threats or even hints about stuff like that (ie. "I know where you live", etc.). Leave each others' mothers, wives, kids, etc. out of it. And, if you have a conflict with someone based on their behavior on another board, leave it there if you can.

So, who's gonna start the first "Prop building" thread?
amish
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prop building, what the hell is that! Actually, I am going to try and post pics soon of progress on a Luke V2 and another 23rd Century Phaser I am building.

I just have to dust off my dremel and buy some paint
Osmotic
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom / Pete

I’m quite clear on the intention and the method in which you wish the board to work I just can’t see exactly what it is that ‘free speech’ advocates need to say in a hobby forum. If it’s simply the right to discuss their feelings about a decision made then I’m there in support one hundred percent. If it’s the ‘right’ to be obnoxious and disruptive simply because they can then my feelings are adverse.

Now let me go photograph some stuff and let’s talk about props.

amish
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I look forward to seeing some of those photos.

As for people's rights, that is where it is up to the individual to do what is they feel is right. We created The Pit so that instead of silencing someone, we will simply move the discussion there where it can still continue but not at the expense of another area of the community.

In short, we take the good with the bad, or something like that
darkknight0667
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Osmotic"]
I’m quite clear on the intention and the method in which you wish the board to work I just can’t see exactly what it is that ‘free speech’ advocates need to say in a hobby forum. If it’s simply the right to discuss their feelings about a decision made then I’m there in support one hundred percent. If it’s the ‘right’ to be obnoxious and disruptive simply because they can then my feelings are adverse.[/quote]

It won't really matter what someone wants to say. If, for example, you wanted to jump into every thread that I post in and call me a complete waste of skin, you could do that (though I hope that's not what you think of me Wink ). Those comments would be pruned out and moved to "The Pit" and the prop discussion would go on as before with little or no disruption. I could then engage and debate you on my relevent worth in "The Pit", if I chose to, and nobody but those that are interested would be bothered. Or (and this is really important), I could completely ignore your baiting, if that's what I want to do (remember, it takes two to have an argument).

There will always be those that will try and abuse the system. But, by moving their disruptions away from the discussion, their influence can be minimized.

Now, let's see those amazing Firefly and Serenity pieces again. I'm really hoping that I get to see them up close this summer when I come across the pond.
Osmotic
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm really hoping that I get to see them up close this summer when I come across the pond.

Absolutely looking forwards to it. Very Happy

You like warm beer too right ? Razz
darkknight0667
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You like warm beer too right ?

Well, you're half right. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Forum Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: