FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
[1st Post !] BR Livingroom advice !

View previous topic :: View next topic  
2019AD

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:37 am    Post subject: [1st Post !] BR Livingroom advice ! Reply with quote

Hi guys, this might be an oddball request to some....but,...!

I just moved home into a great place,but,as soon as I viewed it the first time,I just thought...BLADE RUNNER LIVINGROOM.

Although nothing like as big or same shape as Deckard's Pad....thats what I thought. Interestingly there is a "beam" running across the ceiling,quite unique !!.And all I thought...despite Deckard not having any beam on his ceiling.... was, those BR Tiles would look cool clad over that !.

Sadly....the beam is 10" x 8"...and I know the tiles are 16 inches.

But... seeing as there is also a "crack" that runs the length of the beam & needs covering...I was thinking along the lines of having a larger fake beam placed over it....and the tiles attached to that...which would kill alota birds with one stone !

Any set builders out there that think this is a worthwhile idea & have any carpentry advice...? Harrison ? Are you listening ? heheheh

Seeing as I know diddly-squat about any kinda D.I.Y. home improvements... I'll leave this post open for any ideas.

Thanx guys

p.s. ~ gonna hate myself for this...but,..doubt i'll have the funds... but found this today on ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130398231378&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome 2019AD,

Actually his living room did have a beam in it...or at least the living room part had a lower ceiling than the rest of the apartment.

Andy
darkknight0667
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard, 2019AD. Stop by The Coffee Shop and introduce yourself around.

As to your dilemma, adding to the beam shouldn't be too tough. You'll probably need to open it up, to see what kind of structure is underneath the plaster/drywall. After that, you'll just need to build a short wall to extend one side of the existing beam (6" minus the thickness of the drywall you'll attach to the bottom of the new "beam"). Then, you would build a second wall that is the full height (16", again minus the thickness of the drywall). After that, you'll attach it to the ceiling so that you'll end up with a finish size of 16" x 16" (which means spacing it 16" from the outside edge of the first side of the beam, minus TWO thicknesses of drywall - one for each side of the "beam"). You'll need to add some bracing between the two "beam" sides, to keep them parallel. Once this is all framed in, skin it with drywall (sheet rock) and add your tiles. Pretty simple, really. A circular saw, hammer, tape measure and a square should be all the tools you need to put it together.

As for missing out on the blaster, this one is still available, if you're in the US.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a lot of good photos in this thread that might be able to help you...

http://propsummit.com/viewtopic.php?t=236&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=60

These guys also have a vacuum form tile that could be used as a mold for lightweight concrete or other materials.

http://www.kropserkel.com/BRtiles.htm

Andy
2019AD

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

darkknight0667 wrote:
Welcome aboard, 2019AD. Stop by The Coffee Shop and introduce yourself around.

As to your dilemma, adding to the beam shouldn't be too tough. You'll probably need to open it up, to see what kind of structure is underneath the plaster/drywall. After that, you'll just need to build a short wall to extend one side of the existing beam (6" minus the thickness of the drywall you'll attach to the bottom of the new "beam"). Then, you would build a second wall that is the full height (16", again minus the thickness of the drywall). After that, you'll attach it to the ceiling so that you'll end up with a finish size of 16" x 16" (which means spacing it 16" from the outside edge of the first side of the beam, minus TWO thicknesses of drywall - one for each side of the "beam"). You'll need to add some bracing between the two "beam" sides, to keep them parallel. Once this is all framed in, skin it with drywall (sheet rock) and add your tiles. Pretty simple, really. A circular saw, hammer, tape measure and a square should be all the tools you need to put it together.

As for missing out on the blaster, this one is still available, if you're in the US.

WOW ! Now THATS an answer !!!! Thanks to all you guys.Helpful in every way !.Once I get myself sorted with the rest of my place,I'll definitely be Blade Runner-ing the livingroom.I'll post pics when I'm done....but, be looking out for them in a year or so ! {Funds are tight at the moment ! heheh} Oh ! and the beam is hollow sounding.... think maybe a water pipe from another apartment,as I am end of the block...and the "beam" just makes it look more....pretty ! Rolling Eyes i'll make it look COOL.

Thanks again.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard 2019AD. Good luck with the apt.: lot's of work and endless week-ends
darkknight0667
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2019AD wrote:
WOW ! Now THAT'S an answer !!!! Thanks to all you guys.Helpful in every way !.Once I get myself sorted with the rest of my place,I'll definitely be Blade Runner-ing the living room.I'll post pics when I'm done....but, be looking out for them in a year or so ! {Funds are tight at the moment ! heheh} Oh ! and the beam is hollow sounding.... think maybe a water pipe from another apartment,as I am end of the block...and the "beam" just makes it look more....pretty ! Rolling Eyes i'll make it look COOL.

Thanks again.

If it's a false beam over a pipe, that's ideal. I was worried about it hiding a steel I-beam or something, which might make it tougher to attach new construction. If it is a water pipe (or something similar), be careful when driving your nails and screws to ensure that you don't puncture it accidentally. Then, you'd be dealing with a flood AND a pissed off neighbor. Not a good combination.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you pierce that water pipe then your apt will look more like Sebastien's than Deckard's
TM
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Styrofoam is frequently used to fabricate false ceiling beams. If you use light weight vacuformed tiles you won't need any structural strength. Now if you are using concrete tiles, that's another thing!

Tony
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony is right: if you use heavy tiles (plaster, concrete, etc) you'll have to use other techniques to make sure your walls are strong enough to bear the additional load. (you'll have to use L brakets, screw them at regular intervall on the walls and place the tiles on those brakets)...it's been a long time since I've done any construction work and I'm sure there's other techniques out there...
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Aesthetic All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: