FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
What else do we know about Deckard's Apartment? Check List
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Art Deckard
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:05 am    Post subject: Re: Pictures / Artwork Reply with quote

temponaut wrote:

With this idea in mind, and assuming the BR crew bought a commercially available print rather than going to the trouble and expense of creating one from scratch, I've been searching Japanese- and English-language Websites that sell art-related posters, trying a variety of keywords in English and Japanese. No luck so far. Searching for "shogun poster" in Japanese brought up a picture of Colonel Sanders.

hahaha!

Well I've done that finger work too!

The thing is, nobody could name the chap in the painting. Just the fact that he was a Japanese Courtier (maybe a feudal lord - daimyo) and the work was from the Kamakura period.

From the people who concurred that the artist was Fujiwara Nobuzane here's some relevant snippets from the emails I received:

It is style of Japanese Samurai Costume from Kamakura Period(12th cetury). I can not tell exact person because many of them looks same in that time. However, it looks like Minamoto Yoritomo who was Shogun in Kamakura Government...

It depicts a Japanese courtier...

The photo appears to be of a Japanese painting of a court noble, possibly Sugawara no Michizane. I am not sure with the angle in the photo. It could be someone else as well, as Michizane is usully depicted with a wooden pallet. Possibly one of the Roku-kasen (6 poets) or other figure from Heian Japan...

I am almost certain that the gentleman is Sugawara Michizane...

The man depicted could be Kino Tsurayuki...

The man in the painting is wearing traditional Japanese court dress, but it
is hard to tell when the picture itself might have been made. I would guess that it was made in the modern period (i.e. 19th c. or later), perhaps contemporaneous with the film, but it closely follows premodern painting. It did not strike me as being a specific famous painting, but I attach 1 painting from the 16th-century Tale of Genji album by Tosa Mitsuyoshi (1539-1614) in the Kyoto National Museum that shows nobles wearing this type of hat and clothing. I believe it is called "kariginu."
My reasons for thinking it may be a modern painting following older
examples: the apparently large size of the figure against a plain or gold
background, and the shading around the folds of the garment/color
modulation to show volume. But this is just a hunch...

and finally...

Just because I didn't reply immediately, does not mean I didn't get your email! What on Earth am I supposed to do with such a poor image? I'm sorry but I'm going to have to turn you away, electronic show-and-tell is not
what I do.

Rolling Eyes

happy hunting.

As for the 'commercially available' recreation, fingers crossed! Although I agree it's a bit of a stretch to think the BR team went to the trouble of recreating the piece for the film, they could have just spotted it in a prop warehouse. (Maybe all the work having been done for an earlier film requiring period detail)
temponaut
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting information. Thank you for sharing it with us.

I started scrolling through galleries of art posters available through Japanese Websites, but (of course) there are tens of thousands of images through which to look.

A more practical approach would be to send a jpg of the image to several poster merchants and see if they recognize it as something they sell. I'll look into that and report back if something turns up.

Just because I didn't reply immediately, does not mean I didn't get your email! What on Earth am I supposed to do with such a poor image? I'm sorry but I'm going to have to turn you away, electronic show-and-tell is not what I do.
There's one in every bunch.
temponaut
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: Pictures / Artwork Reply with quote

precinct wrote:
they could have just spotted it in a prop warehouse. (Maybe all the work having been done for an earlier film requiring period detail)

A good point.

I do wonder how specific Scott was about the dressings he wanted to see in Deckard's apartment. As you suggested, it's entirely possible that the art department spotted this piece in a prop warehouse and said, "That one's interesting. Let's throw that in."

If so, one wonders for what film (presumably shooting in LA) such a careful reproduction might have been made.

It could have come from any prop house, or from WB's own stores. I wonder if it can be found in any other WB film.

Here's hoping it's a poster that's commercially available! Laughing
Once-bitten
Banned!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deckards apartment has always reminded me of a disordered mind...or one that's had too much varried input.
As soon as you get above the bare survival aspect of life, you tend to add things to your living space that cause you pleasure to look at.
But Decks apartment covers at least four or five of the nine different period styles and even adds "futuristic"(but really just post modern)to the mix.
Art deco, post modern, arts and crafts, neo-classic, Oriental, Primitive art...I'm sure the list goes on...did I say disordered? This guy must be BATSH*T LOONEY! Who in their right mind mixes such wide and varied styles?
I have to say though that it's more likely(and pretty obvious) that someone was given access to a wide and varied store house of goods and told "fill this space with interesting stuff." I just think they went a little overboard...but was it on purpose to give us a glimpse into Deckards Mind?
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I think only professional decorators and bored housewives, will stay to one period style. The average person will almost always have an eclectic collection of stuff, because they focus more on the individual pieces than on the whole aesthetic. I also find it interesting that each of the dwellings of the characters tell something about the psychology, and an almost Freudian glimpse into their subconsciousness's. I myself still dream about abandoned buildings, bedrooms and strange architecture, and I have since I was a child.

Andy
Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That world would be boom time for collectors as all the wealthy have split offworld and left thier belongings behind. Im thinking on such a journey, baggage would be at a premium. A bored guy like Deckard could fill a place with treasure in a week. mmm........ ebay offworld shipping fees......
Of all the "homes" in BR i`d probably be most comfortable in Leons pad,
minimalist, room for a collection. If i spent the night at Tyrells, i`d be waiting for the phantom of the opera to appear, Decks, id be tripping over every 2 minutes.
I love to imagine what Gaff and Taffys place would look like, any ideas?
Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh......and Bryants.......mmm cabbage smell.....
temponaut
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

offworld66 wrote:
That world would be boom time for collectors as all the wealthy have split offworld and left thier belongings behind. Im thinking on such a journey, baggage would be at a premium. A bored guy like Deckard could fill a place with treasure in a week.

That's a very interesting premise! We even see a group of (if I recall correctly) German-speaking dwarves scavenging on the street. It does make sense that there would be a lot of stuff up for grabs after the wealthy abandoned earth for a better life off-world.

offworld66 wrote:
Of all the "homes" in BR i`d probably be most comfortable in Leons pad, minimalist, room for a collection.

That bathtub is never gonna clean up. Not for me. Wink

offworld66 wrote:
If i spent the night at Tyrells, i`d be waiting for the phantom of the opera to appear,

I think I'd like Tyrell's place the best. Imagine what the rest of it must look like. I like a bed where I can roll over several times and not fall off. And I get to wear his silk robe and prism eyeglasses, right?

offworld66 wrote:
Decks, id be tripping over every 2 minutes.

He's got a pretty cool view off of his balcony, though. At least, it's cool to somebody who doesn't live there. I guess the air is probably no good, and listening to sirens and blimps 24 hours a day would get tedious after a while.

offworld66 wrote:
I love to imagine what Gaff and Taffys place would look like, any ideas?

You mean Gaff's and Taffy's places, right? Or... do you think they might share a place? Laughing

Somehow I have a vision of Taffy living in a room just above his joint. Someplace where he can "audition" new performers privately. He's a guy who likes to sleep late and doesn't like to commute. He doesn't have to waste money on rent, and he can filch a sandwich from the kitchen of the Snake Pit anytime.

Gaff? Organized and utilitarian, not full of junk like Deckard's. I see Gaff's closet being very neat. Crisply pressed jackets hanging in a row, a hundred different bow ties folded in the drawer of an ornate dresser, maybe five or six different walking sticks, some with built-in "surprises." Somehow I imagine he decorated his place in the same style he wears his facial hair: sharp and stylish in an offbeat, slightly weird way. A few favorite origami figures here and there. He takes his shoes off at the door.

I never thought about it before. It's fun! Very Happy
Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work. Your point about Tyrells bed cannot be argued with.
Leons bath is in better shape than mine and i havent had leaky replicants over since new years.
temponaut
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

offworld66 wrote:
Leons bath is in better shape than mine and i havent had leaky replicants over since new years.

andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you read any of the early scripts with Taffy by any chance? They make him out to be a super creepy child molester Shocked

Andy
temponaut
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen some excerpts of early versions compared to the corresponding portions of later versions, but have never read an entire early draft. Sounds very interesting.

So the Taffy we see in the film is the dialed back version?

Was his part in the early drafts more substantial than in the final version?
Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will follow that up, he does look like what my grandmother would dexcribe as "an unsaviory character"
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the July 1984 Fancher script he calls Taffy a "Chicken Hawk"...collector of young girls.", and finds a drugged out thirteen year old in his room. I have a feeling it was dialed down a bit for sure. In the script He sends Deckard to the "Opera House" for "suck night" ...an "audition free-for-all, and most of it Sucks", but he isn't the owner. He has his own Bar called originally enough "Taffy's Bar".

The Auditions at the old Opera House are for actual acts, and of course Zhora's is a "snake act", but there is no snake scale (snakes actually have skin, not scales for the record). He is lead to Taffy from Bryant and the Esper's info from Tyrell about the rep's job descriptions. The scale shows up in People's script from February 1981. Though IIRC it was Harrison's Idea.

You can Download the scripts from BRMovie.com, they are pretty quick reads, and well worth it for the insights, and different takes. They are all enjoyable reads.

Andy
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

temponaut wrote:
offworld66 wrote:
That world would be boom time for collectors as all the wealthy have split offworld and left thier belongings behind. Im thinking on such a journey, baggage would be at a premium. A bored guy like Deckard could fill a place with treasure in a week.

That's a very interesting premise! We even see a group of (if I recall correctly) German-speaking dwarves scavenging on the street. It does make sense that there would be a lot of stuff up for grabs after the wealthy abandoned earth for a better life off-world.

I never thought about it before. It's fun! Very Happy

Yep, fun and very interesting theories I had never though of before !!!

Personaly, I'd like to live in Sebastian's apartment...
It looks like he's a confused mind, too... but his apartment is full of toys (he's a rather childish character, after all) and it's also pretty "warm" and welcoming, compared to Tyrell's or Deckard's homes.
temponaut
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information and the link. It does sound as if earlier versions of the script were "raw" in more ways than one. I'll definitely check out those scripts. Thank you again for the reference.

As for the snake scale: that always struck me as odd. Imagine what a python would look like if it were covered with scales that size! Laughing
Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fred, Sabastians place "warm and welcolming"....... how about that body in the upstairs bath..........I thought my tub had issues
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

offworld66 wrote:
Fred, Sabastians place "warm and welcolming"....... how about that body in the upstairs bath..........I thought my tub had issues

Yeah, well... you're right... Let's say I'll move to Tyrell's apartment instead, then ! (love the view and space)

The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

temponaut wrote:

He's got a pretty cool view off of his balcony, though. At least, it's cool to somebody who doesn't live there. I guess the air is probably no good, and listening to sirens and blimps 24 hours a day would get tedious after a while

My building has a kind of psuedo blade runner look to it, complete with balconies. Great view of the city from my floor, but its two blocks from the hospital ER entrance. The sirens got old about 20 mins after moving into the place. Such is the nature of the city.

"We began to recognize in them a strange obsession..."

http://fcomin.cgsociety.org/gallery/
temponaut
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Loyalizer wrote:
My building has a kind of psuedo blade runner look to it, complete with balconies. Great view of the city from my floor, but its two blocks from the hospital ER entrance. The sirens got old about 20 mins after moving into the place. Such is the nature of the city.

Throw in some filthy air and acid rain and you'll be living the BR dream! Laughing

How high up in the building do you live? Do you have that vertiginous view of the street far below? Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: