Forum Index      Log in  Register
ALIEN 3
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:37 pm    Post subject: ALIEN 3 Reply with quote

ASHES TO ASHES... DUST, TO DUST...

This is a new thread devoted to the underrated last film of the ALIEN trilogy, where we'll discuss props of course, but not only... also the themes and influences, among other things, of David Fincher's first film, what I consider to be the "dark beauty" of the ALIEN universe.

Welcome on FIORINA 161...

Fred

PS : Mods, I haven't opened this thread on the "Sequel Props" of the ALIEN MOVIE DISCUSSION sub-section because it won't only be about props...
8th_Passenger
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fred, great idea. This film deserves some space on this forum. It's my second favourite of the trilogy! The Fincher director's cut is the version to watch. It has some amazing sets by Norman Reynolds. And some pretty good characters too.

I can start us off with a couple of items.

Firstly this Japanese super visual book.

And from it a design for a Weylan Yutani box of matches. This is my quick cleaned up version I did a long time ago.

NB: The graphic inside the book says Weyland Yutani!

Colin
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be interested in seeing what people have to say about the movie: It's not my favorite but it's not my worst movie either...I'm on the fence on that one. Confused
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

8th_Passenger wrote:
This film deserves some space on this forum. It's my second favourite of the trilogy! The Fincher director's cut is the version to watch. It has some amazing sets by Norman Reynolds. And some pretty good characters too.

Colin, I couldn't agree more with what you say here !

The "director's cut" (it's not really a director's cut, rather a WIP close to what Fincher had in mind, that was saved before FOX definitely took control in the editing room) is definitely the version to watch ! New and extended scenes, even with sometimes crude SFX, definitely give it a new scope...

OK, first of all... Where the Hell did you get that Making of book ? I didn't even know there was one !!! (and my next question will be of course "what's inside" ?)

Since we're at it, let me share this one :

It also came from Japan and pop out from time to time on eBay... It's the catalog of an exhibition that took place in the late nineties. Great photos of costumes, props and art inside, from the four ALIEN films (and, ahem... Independence day)

And now, to answer JB's post : JB, you don't know if you like it or not because you never looked at it from the right perspective... It's an Apocalyptic film, in the literal sense, I mean a medieval representation of the fight between Good and Evil...
Did you know for example that the first version of the script by first director Vincent Ward depicted a community of monks living on a Wooden ship that had the shape of a planet ? (a little like a "wooden Death Star" if you can picture that !)

OK, maybe we go too far too quickly here...

Laughing

I think we need to rewind and re-examine the whole trigoly from a medieval POV, this way you'll understand better the third one... OK, stay tuned, I need to do some screencaps first...

Fred
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you gonna go medieval on my a$$ Fred?...oops, wrong movie
Well, religion occupies a big space on that movie for sure...Redemption, atonement for the prisoners? The Beast represented as the Alien?

Food for thoughts, food for thoughts Wink
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn screencaps, it's quite some work to do them then organize everything...

OK, hold on, I think I'll be able to post them tomorrow... but I have something for you today, something I noticed the other day when I finally saw the drinking bird sitting on that table...

Even if the top seems to have been altered, this "Juicy Salif" juicer (designed by Philippe Starck) immediately caught my eye, even in the background... Damn, I can't imagine they were designed 20+ years ago !

Shocked

Fred
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made for Alessi...LOL Very Happy Fred, you've got x-ray vision man Shocked
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No X-ray vision alas JB, a good pair of glasses and Photoshop instead... (and time... from time to time !)

Cool

I wouldn't be surprised if the glass mugs would turn out to be Alessi too...

Fred
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possible, then again difficult to see on those pics Confused
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, let's go medieval... Here is how A L I E N could be seen :

This is not a refinery, it's a castle. A flying castle. Look at these imposing towers, it's most impressive ! Something like a futuristic Camelot of some sort...

Then the MUTHUR Queen awakens the lords of the castle. Ripley could be seen as the Sleeping Beauty and the others as knights (or the seven dwarves if you count Jonesy as one of them). In this case Lambert looks more like a man than a woman, Ripley is the only one who wears long princess hair...

Then the Queen meets the chief of the knights in the chapel of Camelot. That's when she asks the chief, who looks a little like King Arthur (or at least a king, he's the only one who wears a beard), to go on a mission... A message has been received from someone who needs help.

So the knights open the drawbridge...

...and go explore in full knight armor the place from where the message was sent...

They found the place but it's too late. The foreign knight who sent the message is dead. Worse, there's a dragon nest full of eggs just below... and what was supposed to happen finally happens : One of the knights is attacked by a baby dragon who uses him as a Trojan horse to enter Camelot.

Then there's the last supper in the Round Table room of Camelot where the dragon is finally revealed to the knights. Evil has found a way to enter their flesh, their castle (the castle is their home, and home is often seen as a symbolic image of the mother) and community of souls.

Then the knights try to eject the dragon from their home but he's too strong... and he's helped by the MUTHUR Queen, who turns out to be an Evil Queen... She makes one with the dragon. (like in Sleeping Beauty)

Worse, there's also a traitor among the knights ! They have no other choice than to burn him like a witch.

After a while Sleeping Beauty remains the only survivor of the community of knights. She then decides to escape Camelot and purify the place (and the Evil MUTHUR Queen) with fire, like the knights did earlier with the traitor...

Problem, the dragon isn't dead, it has followed her path... It's now her turn to fight him. So she puts a white knight armor on...

The princess now looks like St George. She's able at some point during the fight to spear the dragon / Beast of the Apocalypse who's finally ejected from her world / shuttle craft. The beast, thought not destroyed, returns to the darkness where it belongs. Then Sleeping beauty goes back to sleep.

Next time we'll go medieval on ALIENS...

Fred

Last edited by SKIN JOB 66 on Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:35 am; edited 1 time in total
8th_Passenger
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Fred! I'm speechless. Can't wait to see the Aliens installment.

Here's a couple of spreads from the Japanese book. If you like Alien 3 it's worth getting, if you can find a copy.

Nice spot on the Alessi juicer Fred. Looks good on a shelf. Not so great to use!

I had a bit of a refresher watching the Alien 3 documentary on the anthology discs. Lots of interesting stuff.

I'm still on the fence about the wooden planet! An interesting concept but I think they were right not to use it. Seems too much of a radical departure from the franchise. Maybe the same can be said for Prometheus!

They stuck with the gothic feel which gives Alien 3 its distinctive look. Its a shame Jordon Cronenweth was too ill to continue as director of photography.

Colin
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Colin !
I'll work on the "Medieval Aliens" soon...

Thank you also for the great photos of the japanese Making of ALIEN 3 book, I'm going to order one of those NOW !

Cool

Fred

PS : And I agree with you on the wooden planet and the juicer... Stark's creations are often interesting to look at but not really to use...
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flabbergasted Fred Shocked 'specially when SRS told us it was "kinda based" on that film where people are stuck in a big house (on an island) and get killed one by one with no possibility of escape (killer is among them of course).
retrogarde
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bravo Fred! That is a fantastic take on ALIEN. I am especially taken with the image of Ripley as St. George. I look forward to your take on Aliens.

Colin, could you share the page with the matchbox prop on it? I'd love to have a go at making one too (unless you wanted to share your file with me!).

Alien3 will always come third for me, but it is an amazing film in many respects. When you look at some of the scripts that could have been made I think what we got is pretty darned good! Nothing that came after it is canon as far as I'm concerned.
retrogarde
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SKIN JOB 66 wrote:
In this case Lambert looks more like a man than a woman, Ripley is the only one who wears long princess hair...

And by Aliens Lambert actually was a dude (at first), at least according to the Nostromo crew dossiers seen behind Ripley on Gateway. Lambert's file lists her as "Gender; Female (unnatural)" and notes that "Subject is a Despin Convert at birth (male to female). So far no indication of suppressed trauma related to gender alternation."
Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work Fred, never saw the fairy tale when it was right before me and your eye is as sharp as ever. Never had an issue with Alien3, when it first came out I remember having to adjust to the radical change of setting and CGI Aliens though.
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you everybody for the kind words !

Cool

RetroG, I agree regarding Lambert, I had this in mind when I wrote my previous post...

Forgot also to underscore this but iirc Sir Rid says in the DVD commentary that the MU-TH-UR room was supposed to remind the audience of a chapel lighted with hundreds of votive candles...

I'll post the "Medieval ALIENS" analysis soon, stay tuned !

Fred
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, necropost time !

I've had this acupuncture mannequin for years but realized at some point that it was spottable in the infirmary of FIORINA 131 ! It took me time to find a base in order to make it stand on its feet. (the plastic is very soft, it bends and the mannequin easily falls without any help)

Fred

joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Fred Shocked I had that mannequin for years and...gave it away at a garage sale before leaving for Canada Crying or Very sad 38 years ago! Good catch anyway Wink
FenGiddel
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SKIN JOB 66 wrote:
OK, let's go medieval... Here is how A L I E N could be seen :

Sorry to bump this old post, but damn Fred! I just read your reading of ALIEN as medieval tale and really really enjoyed it. Nicely done, sir! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> The Coffee Shop All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: