FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Umbrella from a light saber

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:02 am    Post subject: Umbrella from a light saber Reply with quote

A pretty cool build...
http://www.plecterlabs.com/catalog/article_info.php?articles_id=75&language=en

Thank you Bladezone for the link.
Andy
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy for sharing...cool indeed Cool
erv
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry for the necroposting as a first post. I would have never imagined my "hum-brella" would have reached a Blade Runner specific forum.

This project might go forward with a new version. The one I made was just a "bending" exercise merging a saber board with an umbrella but for sure, the motion sensing isn't really relevant.
Anyhow, shall I have something new to share, I'll post here.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome erv...eager to see your new project (with pics of course ).
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Erv.

Can't wait to see more of your project

Andy
bwade wanna
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi erv!

I thought your "repurposing" of an EL blade hilt for a BR umbrella was one of those "DOH!" moments - so simple, it's brilliant!

I'd love to see a more screen-accurate umbrella without the saber sounds, of course. Perhaps a mix of "DON'T WALK... DON'T WALK... DON'T WALK...", junk dwarf chatter, and Chinese music from the street scenes in its place would be more appropriate. Smile

Darren
erv
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:21 am    Post subject: Blade Runner Hum-Brellaâ„¢ #2 Reply with quote

My second one. Still a mashup with my saber boards. I got a kind of special request I couldn't refuse.
It's a simplified Crystal Focus board (v5.10) in there, with a single sound bank and a simplified access to the audio player (simply press on the aux switch while removing the kill key and it jumps off in the player, no vocal menu).

Not happy with the switch design but that's what I could afford (time wise) while ensuring it can be disassembled and still fit the switch mount I got from force relics. Next one I build will have really recessed switches. The main problem is that it's virtually impossible to install the cap after installing the switches, it's not clicking in that well, so I had to split the switch mount and pre install everything, then carefully mount it all inside. Next one will have switches installed on a chassis.

flat black epoxy powder coating went extremely well. I cut the BR shape with my vinyl cutter, removing it prior baking was tricky, I think I will first give it a flash cure in the oven, then remove the sticker, so that I don't have any powder particles that jump to the stenciled area. I removed them after baking with steel wool 000 which gave a satin look. It's still imperfect though.

As I like contrast and asymmetry, I only polished the emitter and left the rest with a satin / brushed look. The milling work is supposed to remain a logo I'm pretty sure I've seen in BR but couldn't spot it. Maybe on a video-phone or something.

hilt solo

with the umbrella

I've added a few gimmicks. First off, the umbrella I got had a few defects, I stabilized the pierced fabric with superglue, then added more black fabric to allow a button badge to be installed with further damaging the fabric. I don't have a button maker press yet, so I used an old one, printed a sticker about Tyrell replicants and coated with a polyurethane sealer (airbrushed), 2 coats.

I got a hard time finding a topper. Last time I used a clumsy piece of rubber that I glued, I got a seal mark, not happy with that. Chair feet rubber protectors are nice but bulky and generally too large for this one. Then I got an idea, I remembered the stock of red caps I purchased for M40 replicas (aliens) when I was building my pulse rifle. Bingo, perfect size. While not a ridley scott movie, I though it would work anyway, as he made the first episode.

Complete kit. Note the sticker I added on the charger

what do you think ?
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's perfect and the little "imperfections" add to the overall look: love it!
erv
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks !
I'm overall happy with the result, it's just frustating that you need someone to help you (you really want to be 2 persons to remove the stencil sticker, or you need a home made jig and an addition 5 days dedicated to that custom tool... which I might need to build anyways for the next one I built Rolling Eyes ).

anyhow, it was a great project to craft !
Bassnoir
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...what a delightful amazing and creative project...thanks for sharing...
Ki-Djowac
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Erv, great to finally see you're on here too Very Happy

Great stuff as always !!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: