FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
VK video display for use in a 1:1 prop
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kurtyboy
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, I think that's just coincidence since there were no pupils to follow in Alien.

andy wrote:
It also looks like it might be trying to follow the pupil, maybe tracking the eye to keep it centered, and to check for aversion, a sign someone is lying.

Andy
kurtyboy
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry but can I have that in plain English please LOL!

What kind of vertical distortion? Wonky in what way? How do I create Kafka in Adobe After Effects!?

Razz

kaiburr wrote:
Another nitypicky thing to add is that the right mini monitor in particular in the film has a slight vertical distortion kinda like microfiche wherebythe rows appear a little wonky. No doubt this is due to a dodgy feed, but it does help make it more Kafka-esque. That would be cool to nail as well I think.... Hopefully this makes sense!

Nathan
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kurtyboy wrote:
Nah, I think that's just coincidence since there were no pupils to follow in Alien.

andy wrote:
It also looks like it might be trying to follow the pupil, maybe tracking the eye to keep it centered, and to check for aversion, a sign someone is lying.

Andy

I am sure it was just coincidence, I was just showing how it could be tied into the VK as a concept.

Andy
kaiburr
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't have the insta-kafka key on your computer? Sorry, I'll try and explain what I mean a little better!

On old pro monitors, it was possible to adjust vertical and horizontal holds if the picture on the CRT had any flutter or distortion in the same way that old VCRs had that function where sometimes you had to find the sweet spot in cases where the image fluttered.
I am being super speculative based on my somewhat limited knowledge of the prop, but from what I see in the movie, the graphics were basically piped in from the Beta tape hidden in the briefcase. Now perhaps it's the feed they used or the optics of the mini monitor, but to my eye, the "data columns" you have made to rows of perfection could be made to appear somewhat bowed in order reflect the original graphic's instability.

Not sure If I'm being more or less helpful with this response! My CS5 trial expired, otherwise I'd try and mock something up....

Nathan
[/img]
kurtyboy
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, right. Now I read ya!

I'm sure I can easily put a wavey distortion onto the image. Would it be a static bowed effect, or would it be 'flickering', going on and off or switching between more and less extreme?

kaiburr wrote:
You don't have the insta-kafka key on your computer? Sorry, I'll try and explain what I mean a little better!

On old pro monitors, it was possible to adjust vertical and horizontal holds if the picture on the CRT had any flutter or distortion in the same way that old VCRs had that function where sometimes you had to find the sweet spot in cases where the image fluttered.
I am being super speculative based on my somewhat limited knowledge of the prop, but from what I see in the movie, the graphics were basically piped in from the Beta tape hidden in the briefcase. Now perhaps it's the feed they used or the optics of the mini monitor, but to my eye, the "data columns" you have made to rows of perfection could be made to appear somewhat bowed in order reflect the original graphic's instability.

Not sure If I'm being more or less helpful with this response! My CS5 trial expired, otherwise I'd try and mock something up....

Nathan
[/img]
kurtyboy
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And knowing you, you've probably already figured out how the whole machine works!

andy wrote:
kurtyboy wrote:

andy wrote:

Andy

I am sure it was just coincidence, I was just showing how it could be tied into the VK as a concept.

Andy
kurtyboy
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I little bit overdone but I've added the vertical distortion:

Here's a ten second clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtSA97N-2BY
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff...again, and that's just my two cents here, I think that we'll have to come up with a "standard look" for these screens and the way they "interact" with the subject being evaluated. I'm sure the internal/external features on the VK are constantly adapting/correcting to the breathing, body heat, pupil fonctions, etc... hence the flickering of the various screen at various moment. If you examine the pics Bwood provided us, you'll see that the piece around the eye contains, at least, 20 fiber optic like hair distributed around it. So yes, the VK is a sophisticated piece of machinery and electronics. Yes, that machine was "improved" over the years to detect more and more sophisticated replicants being produced by Tyrell and it's looking like more pieces were added (more screens for example) to make sure the Blade Runner Squad could do their job properly...if that make sense
propsjonnyb
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work! I like it but could I make a suggestion , this is 'supposed' to be a visual scan of a pheremone path, so the 'blob' is (having looked at the scene again) moving possibly up/down and rotating all at the same time, which is why with my (very) limited video editing software I used an upside down 3D rotating bar graph , whch gave a very 'blobby' shape - that overlaid on your background screen - I think would look great ! as unlike the original B&W Monitor we have colour photoframes !
Having though about it , I couldn't get a close enough crop of just the eyeball for each video clip I would suggest random iris dilation's on each and particularly on the tenth or final question which has the 'reveal' the Ridley flash , that's the point on my main monitor video where it repeats to the beginning again .
My only other suggestion is regarding the other monitor, perhaps you can add some colour to the monitor animated effect as well ?
kurtyboy
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can overlay your bar graph if you want. Personally I think it makes it less accurate but you're the boss! Wink And again, colour wouldn't be my choice but it's up to you.

I was actually going to try and figure out how to make the blob as a fixed 3D shape and have it rotate rather than draw randomly like I've done it. Not sure if I can though but worth a try.

What kind of colour do you want added to the animated effects? Do you mean the sound wave? Make it more like a colourful spectrum?

propsjonnyb wrote:
Nice work! I like it but could I make a suggestion , this is 'supposed' to be a visual scan of a pheremone path, so the 'blob' is (having looked at the scene again) moving possibly up/down and rotating all at the same time, which is why with my (very) limited video editing software I used an upside down 3D rotating bar graph , whch gave a very 'blobby' shape - that overlaid on your background screen - I think would look great ! as unlike the original B&W Monitor we have colour photoframes !
Having though about it , I couldn't get a close enough crop of just the eyeball for each video clip I would suggest random iris dilation's on each and particularly on the tenth or final question which has the 'reveal' the Ridley flash , that's the point on my main monitor video where it repeats to the beginning again .
My only other suggestion is regarding the other monitor, perhaps you can add some colour to the monitor animated effect as well ?
kurtyboy
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New blob. Now to figure out how to get it to rotate...

kurtyboy
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're getting there:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbjrDWFKIdc
kaiburr
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job on the flutter/distortion! Happy my jibberish made some sense to you. As far as the blob goes, the central shape seems to just writhe up and down whereas the "flailing arm" shape could maybe be done on another layer?
kurtyboy
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid I have no experience or knowledge of 3D packages and this would have to be done in 3D. My blob was created with a particle generator and unfortunately, once you set a particle's position and direction it can't be changed as there isn't individual control of each of the 2000 particles there.

Someone with experience in something like 3D Studio could probably do it easily.

kaiburr wrote:
Great job on the flutter/distortion! Happy my jibberish made some sense to you. As far as the blob goes, the central shape seems to just writhe up and down whereas the "flailing arm" shape could maybe be done on another layer?
propsjonnyb
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes exactly like that - a coloured spectrum on the sound wave , I appreciate the originals were plain B&W monitors , and it would be my intention to put a B&W video on each SD card and a 'colourized' version as well ( and by colourised I just meant for an additional effect not as a full colour version) as there's plenty of room and it gives the user a choice. As you've nearly complete Leon's and as you said you were doing Rachels' , I was going to put those on the main Monitor SD card as recorded 'samples' , as well as the automated questions, so a generic monitor one and two video loops would be needed. With say'something line 'current test subject ' for the name.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting there Kurtyboy! Keep up the good work.
kurtyboy
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another update! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jLsrw48S5A
propsjonnyb
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent work! , on Monitor 1 - that little bit of colour works quite well , the other monitor screen look's better - perhaps you could rotate the blob 90 degrees ?, that might help . The back ground on both is absolutely spot on!!.
kaiburr
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love it!!! Didn't think I'd care for any colour, but it looks really nice as well. Amazing job....
kurtyboy
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well all my problems with the two small screen displays are now solved!

Every single video display from the Nostromo and Narcissus is included in it's entirety, in full screen, on the Bluray box set Smile

Absolutely amazing! Also included are the video displays from Aliens and the complete crew dossiers Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: