FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Esper Machine research
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jameth
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:35 am    Post subject: Esper Machine research Reply with quote

Been researching the Esper machine. The hero one, not the "fake" or "Side View" one.

Here is what I have found:

Handle to the left side top is a Sunpak 522 flash

The lower left has a SX-70 Sonar Polaroid Camera

Upper right has two Braun Alarm clocks model Type 4 821

Top machine may or may not be some type of CED player (Capacitance Electronic player)

That's all I got.

Wondering about:

Size and type of TV

Top machine

Etc.

Last edited by jameth on Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far so good Jameth...if you want more info, Nick Daring has posted on the RPF a very good list of what's what on that famous prop (some pics and discussion on Propsummit as well).
T.V. model or make is still unknown alas as well as those machines on top (I did a repro a year ago...should be transformed with the lights, but I haven't got the time to do so); the search button is your best friend in that case: it was under Studio Scale. Good luck with the search Wink
jameth
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been searching like a mad man. Actually Nicks thread on RPF is where I started.

Nick says the two alarm clocks are both the same but I'm not so sure. They look like they are different sizes. The lower one seems wider
jameth
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have the flash from the Esper????? Maybe it can be used to determine screen size????
jameth
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fake Esper screen that is believed to be the Hero screen just turned sideways has a clear plexiglass cover over it. It's not on the Hero but it is on the fake.
jameth
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Nick is correct and the fake was used to build the Hero. The Hero looks custom but the fake looks like a found item. However I have never seen a TV shaped like that. So I don't think it's a TV. I think maybe the whole thing Including the "VCR" is one unite.

What would have a narrow screen, with those controls on the right and maybe the whatever on top but not be a TV??????????
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From looking at the controls, there seem to be at least three different set ups used for the Esper.

Andy
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My plan is to go with the pics Nick posted on the RPF (first shot). I was going crazy trying to come up with a mix of both Esper used in the movie.
Now that my brain is clear I feel much better. Screen is a mystery (maybe a radar screen front on top of a video unit?). Andy is right: many types of buttons and grill for the controls at the right hand side of the unit. Confused
jameth
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But the base for the controls is the fake Esper machine as well. Look at the grill and lower buttons. They are wider on the fake and then turned so they are longer and look farther apart then additional stuff added in between.

I don't think they would scratch build it twice. The Hero looks scratch built. The fake looks manufactured. They used a complete unit first. I'm sure of it. Maybe even with the "VCR" as part of it. Turned the screen and ditched the cover. (I have an RCA TV that has an additional plexi cover over the screen). Then flipped the controls as well.

We need to know what that darn fake Esper is. Anyone got a good shot on Blueray??? It looks like there are markings on the upper left corner of the "VCR"

I also noticed pausing seems to be clearer than screen grabs (Forgive my ignorance if this is widely known. I'm a tech dufas). But I noticed when I paused it on Deckard's desk vidphone it was much clearer than any screen grabs posted so if someone with a blueray could go and look at the Esper both when he is standing next to it in his coat and when he is using it that would be great.
jameth
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is an additional section below the controls on the fake Esper. It's cut off in the posted screen grabs. There is the grill (Flipped on the hero) then a small section of buttons (Extended on the hero) then the little section of what looks like a bunch of matching black buttons, etc (Again flipped on the hero) then another section. Looks smooth but can't quite see. If your turn you head I think this unit has the screen on top and the buttons and speaker on bottom. Anyway the fourth control side section may make it easier to locate.
jameth
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could the top "VCR" be a paper shredder? The sound sounds like a paper shredder in reverse. Spits out the pic. Could be added in and a crewman pushing it out from behind or might be a paper shredder in reverse and they used the sound.

Also the lower Braun alarm clock has a light on the right side.
jameth
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something like this

http://cgi.ebay.com/FELLOWES-POWERSHRED-410-PAPER-SHREDDER-HEAVY-DUTY-LEGAL-/250857972130?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a684ce1a2#ht_2582wt_952

Obviously not it but same idea. We think of a shredder on top of a trash can but this is kind of what I'm thinking.
jameth
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe a vintage document scanner or fax machine???????
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All these are very possible, but without additional screen grab, or continuity pics (maybe Nick has more of those?)it's impossible/difficult to say Crying or Very sad
jameth
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sound is driving me nuts. I know I have heard that exact sound. Probably added in but maybe not. Might help with ID.
jameth
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meant to post this here. Kind of have two threads going about the Esper by accident.

Anywho another idea for the Esper "VCR"

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Webcor-car-stereo-cassette-made-Japan-/300579141222?pt=Car_Audio_In_Dash_Receivers&hash=item45fbe9b666#ht_3042wt_1185
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much all of the sounds were added on later. I seriously doubt it is a clue at all to the origin to the "printer".

I think the top "printer" is likely something like a laminator, paste-up waxer, dot matrix printer, Laser Disc player, or something else of the vintage that would not be very common outside an art department,or AV department. It also almost looks like they took the face plate from the set (fake) version and then made a Vac form mold of it for the close up version. The color on it seems more uniform to the rest of the set up, and the edges seem just a tad bit softer. Either that or they just painted it, but if it is a valuable piece of equipment just filling in on set, it would make sense for them to recreate it, and not destroy it.

The bezel on the monitor seems removable too, and I would not be surprised if it was a part of modular control room set up. If the hypothesis of the set/fake version is that is an as is found item, the fact that the monitor is set up vertical instead of horizontal, it would mean it could be from medical or scientific equipment, instead of video equipment. Unless that version of the Esper body was put on it's side. I am still not sure though that they are the same parts, the bezel on the one is missing, and it has a kind of face plate or something over it from at least one photo.

The extreme close up version seems to be something all together different, and was likely the same one used for the snake lady monitor close ups. that one for sure looks "As Found".

Andy
jameth
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone own the movie Weird Science. They had a "scanner" they were feeding pics of female body parts into. I think it was like the Esper "VCR".
jameth
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay forget all those crappy ideas of mine. Looked at thousands of models of all of them. I think Nick was on the right track with the CED machine. In his RPF thread he has a link to a bunch of different models. The Zenith and RCA are the only ones that have a switch on the right side like the Esper "VCR"
jameth
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "VCR" has to be a CED. Nick was right
Look here at the first video. It's a CED with the same type of switch:

http://www.cedmagic.com/museum/player-operation/player-operation.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: