FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Magnoli Deckard coat vs abbyshot V2 , what should i take ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Costumes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedArc
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:24 am    Post subject: Magnoli Deckard coat vs abbyshot V2 , what should i take ? Reply with quote

I could need some input of you guys!

I need help to make the right choice between the V2 Abby and the Magnoli coat!

I already haven´t found much about the Magnoli version and I´m not sure about it.

Thanks a lot
chew
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, they both have merits.

I was the guy who originally commissioned the magnoli version and sent him tons of links and pics and notes and he got a TON right..

but he missed some stuff too.

the collar is just too soft and the fabric on my version has the same problem.

I have never seen an abbyshot in person but it has the right "look" I'd say.

I just bought one of those cheap Chinese versions on ebay and was impressed with everything but the collar. the fabric is stiff and looks dark enough, and its got the bells and whistles.

I even have my suspicions that its a magnoli knockoff however they made the mistake of knocking off the terrible collar as well.

my solution was to take the belt and carefully un-stitch it which left me with about six feet by five inches of fabric- which with the help of a seamstress friend- rebuilt in to a much better collar...

thats my two cents.
chew
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

by the way you can zoom in on that convex mirror if you have a fully functioning ESPER
The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own both the abbyshot v1 & v2. Overall the collar and color of the v2 are better than the v1, however I find that both coats run very long and the sleeves are a bit too long. The v2 is a well made garment but the decision to use a fabric that wrinkles more and gives more of a screen accurate look comes at the cost of substantially less water repulsion. Wear it in a typical San Francisco down pour and you will get soaked. This in my book limits its use as a functional raincoat. Their v1 coat used a different fabric which had outstanding water repulsion, but was too light in color and didn't wrinkle or crease.

I can't speak to the merits of the magnoli trench but aside from the smaller collar, it looks like a good repro.

"We began to recognize in them a strange obsession..."

http://fcomin.cgsociety.org/gallery/
RedArc
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for you Infos !

That makes the the things even harder to deside Rolling Eyes

but i have time

and my Esper is for repair right now , couldn´t find out who makes this
foto from you Cool
repdetect
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a v2 from Abbyshot and it's really awesome !...the quality is very good and fabric captures tremendously the look of the hero coat !...
I like the way it's soaking under the rain ! Very Happy
I was a little worried by the color before to get it in hands but finally it was really nice, and the color changes according to light and turn darker under the rain...Before to order, i asked the guys from Abbyshot (which are really nice btw) to cut the flap in the back of the coat at the correct size - i noticed that the flap of the hero was shorter than the v2 -
If i have to make a little "negative" comment, it would be about the collar and the length that influence on it's overall shape...I have compared a bunch of shots of Deckard wearing the trench and it's clarly seen that it's more rounded form. If i had to buy it again i will choose their custom option which is more expensive but would worth it imho !!...to modify a bit of length and perhabs the sew too which should be shorter !

Now you would get the perfect Deckard's trench imo ! Very Happy

I noticed, as Loyal said, that on some photos of people wearing their coat, the sleeves and coat was a bit too long...personnaly, i didn't get that problem and i guess it's important to choose the right size and i've been adviceed by on it by the guy from Abby...the fit is just spotlessly clean Smile

I can't speak about the Magnoli but the fabric and collar look a bit off for me...well, imho of course.

I will try to post some photos but i will have to remove my mug on them - for personal and philosophical reasons Rolling Eyes

Phil
repdetect
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a serie of shots of the trench under different lights

The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't recall there being a custom size option on the v2 coat. Then again I did buy it when it first came out, that may have changed.

joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good costume Repdetect! Cool
repdetect
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Joberg !

Here is the link to Abbyshot's custom fit Loyalizer :

http://www.abbyshot.com/products/l-customfit.php
RedArc
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for fotos to compare a little bit !

Always helps at hard desicions .

and also great to see there are fans like me in europe too
Hasenbrau
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up one of Abby Shot's V2 Deckard trench coats for Halloween and I must say that I love it. I really wanted a coat for Halloween, and they were able to get me one very quickly on fairly short notice. The folks up there at Abby Shot are great to deal with and very friendly. It's a very well made trench coat as far as I can tell and feels like a real coat, not just some fancy costume piece. I haven't yet worn it in the rain, so I have no opinion on that. I picked up a size 40 and you can see how it fits me in the below pic from Halloween. Perhaps a bit long in the sleeves, but I'm not sure it isn't meant to be that way. For reference I'm exactly 72" tall. If I had one complaint it would be over the color. There's lots of photos and discussion over the Abby Shot coat and how the color shows different in various lighting conditions, etc. I think that's fine, but I personally feel the coat should be a little more dark brown and a little less orange, to show closer to the movie coat in general light settings (or even an overcast day). If it wasn't for the cost, I would probably be considering trying to dye mine slightly. I do think the cost should be considered thoroughly when buying either of these coats; the Abby Shot is well made - About as well as any 200 to 300 dollar off the wrack trench. The custom costume premium aspect is understood, as you can't just walk into a JCPenny's and pick up a Deckard Trench, but had I paid half the price I probably wouldn't have given a second thought to the color (or maybe to dying it Wink).
The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've thought about giving it a dye job myself. My initial research suggests The dye might not take on the fabric. Might be worth dropping the folks at Abbyshot a line and asking them about dyeing it and what dye they recommend. I already bit the bullet and had mine shortened in both the length and sleeves.

joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good costume Hassenbrau...you'll fit right in Cool
Hasenbrau
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha - Thanks Joberg. At least here I know I won't get: "Who are you supposed to be?"
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I was Han Solo 10 years ago and everybody thought I was disguised as a Mountie Shocked Evil or Very Mad ...bunch of philistines
RedArc
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hasenbrau your coat fits very well and makes my wanna have an custom one
I fight´n with myself to wait till dezember but i cant resist any longer i think !

OMG if someone dont know han solo , there must be gone very much wrong in his life! .... a mountie Laughing
Memories of Green
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeez, some good pics there guys.
propsjonnyb
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only slight critique is the coat collar ridges and the overall colour of the coat , on both Magnoli's and Abbeyshot's, are not as prenounced and raised as on the original, I thought they were fine 'trapunto quilting' strips, if comments and quotes from the original costumier are to be believed . As for the colour , a lot of 'wear & tear' weathering went into the Deckard costume to make it believeable and to suitably 'age' the materials and the costume shop had both washing machines and tumble dryers , filled with all sorts of things, 'dirty' water made up of paint pigments and the dryers were filled wth a few rocks & stones, bricks and bits of plaster, plus the contents of a couple of hoover bags to age and weather the costume, so dyeing might help as might ' rolling about in a derelict building on a wet day!'
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As propjonnyb said, you'll have to develop your own tricks (on various pieces/kinds of fabrics)on how to achieve a "used look" using sand-paper is also a trick of the trade, some are also using diluted Javex/water/salt mixture (careful not to peeve the GF while using rocks and stuff in her dryer or washing machine )...good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Costumes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: