FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
I really don't know what to make of this coat

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Costumes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
br64fan
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:35 pm    Post subject: I really don't know what to make of this coat Reply with quote

Here's yet another Deckard coat.Its cheap,but I really can't form an opinion about it. Although there's a lot wrong with it,you pay for what you get I guess.

What do you think?

http://tinyurl.com/4v2beb7 Wink
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still good for your average RepDetect. Wink ...thanks for sharing.
TM
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kind of amusing with the "Don't Copy" and "Copyright Reserved". Given that it's a copy to begin with!

Tony
nexus42
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:43 pm    Post subject: cheap trench coat Reply with quote

It never ceases to amaze me you wait years for an affordable Deckard trench to come along, and in the space of 6 months two come along from the far east!

I saw this coat a few weeks back and contacted them about details, I pointed out the missing left side collar buttons, (same on the costumebase coat) and the squared off and too short collar flap and cuffs. To give them credit they asked for reference pictures so they could rectify this, which I duly sent, I also mentioned the size and shape of the collar and the ribbing which they said they will look at too!
The colour appears unusual a bit to caramel, though its hard to judge from a photo on a computer screen? if the material was crumpled up more and not so pristine and stiff then the coat would look more SA.

Hellocosplay obviously appear to be a smaller company than Costumebase, as when I suggested about making the shirts and tie they replied that it would not be financially viable to print the fabric for such a small market?

PS.the do not copy on the photos, got me too,

nexus42
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "do not copy" and copyright on the pictures protect the images, and the use of the images. Has nothing to do with someone making a copy of the coat itself. I think it is just meant to stop someone else from using the images for their purposes, such as selling a similar coat on ebay, or reselling this one even.

I am tempted to pick this up for sure, if only just for Halloween. The costumebase shirt too.

Andy
nexus42
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:44 pm    Post subject: cheap trench Reply with quote

Well the price is certainly low enough and it's free shipping! It would be a fine coat to wear occassionally and for halloween etc! And for that price would have no qualms crumpling it up and treating it like Deckard treats his own trench..... roughly!
The company seem happy to amend mistakes and add detail to create a more accurate looking coat, along with custom sizing to get a fairly close fit!
I might be tempted myself.
Finbladerunner
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know is this costume really updated after things Nexus pointed? It's really pristine looking comparing what Costumebase has right now. Color is also very yellow for my eyes. Still I get tempted to get either of these cheap trenchcoats...
Bwood
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It continues to amaze me how much time and effort people will spend on something to end up with a result that is so far off …...
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it all depends of your final intentions: you could buy it cheap because you want to wear it everyday and you don't care if it's damaged.
Or same as above but you have also an Abyshott that you use for Cosplay only.
Or you don't have the necessary funds to buy a screen accurate coat...
Either ways you do what feels right for you, as long as you're happy with your options Wink
Bwood
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps I should have made myself more clear. I was referring to the people making the coat, not the people buying it. Sorry.
nexus42
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finbladerunner wrote:
Does anyone know is this costume really updated after things Nexus pointed? It's really pristine looking comparing what Costumebase has right now. Color is also very yellow for my eyes. Still I get tempted to get either of these cheap trenchcoats...

"Finbladerunner"......... I've been back in contact with the company that produced this coat since my last post, they told me they are a very young bunch who are cosplay sci-fi fanatics themselves but did not have such in depth information on Blade Runner as we are lucky to have here! they were aware of the movie and it's legacy in sci-fi folklore but had only seen the film on vhs once or twice?....quite extrodinary!???.....
I stated as before various things on this coat that could be improved and other things that could be added to give the coat a more realistic screen accurate look!.....longer oval collar, deeper ribbing on said collar, the inclusion of the extra buttons on the collar and repositioning of these when collar has been extended! the cuffs reshaped and the colour of the fabric changed.....less yellow please!

In their credit they took this criticism all on board in good nature, and said they will implement these points to improve the coat by watching the movie online and viewing as much reference material as possible.......I sent them a large amount of close up collar and cuff detail images..... Ahem!......they mentioned that in their part of the world it had been difficult finding the correct colour and fabric for the coat! They were uaware until told that the hero trench was egyptian cotton, heavily distressed and crumpled, to look like it belonged to a alcoholic divorcee ex cop!

I remember it took both magnoli and abbyshot a couple of version's to get this iconic coat right, criticism by fans on fabric choice, colour and collar detail, all contributed in producing a better more screen accurate coat!

Hopefull when finished this will enable fans who don't have such deep pockets to have an affordable fairly accurate trench to wear where ever they choose!

nexus42.............................................
Insomniac
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nexus 42 I'm ecstatic to hear of such information exchanges! It'd be wonderful to see such!
nexus42
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Insomniac, I'm still waiting for a reply back! I sent a email to them at the end of march asking for an update? they said in their last message they were snowed under with work and were temporarily removing themselves from selling on ebay.
Although you could still contact them through their website. If I hear back from them I'll certainly let you know!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Costumes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: