FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Abbyshot Deckard trench coat Version 2 - Let's discuss
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spinner44.com
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:20 pm    Post subject: Abbyshot Deckard trench coat Version 2 - Let's discuss Reply with quote

Still not too sure about this one. I need time to go over the details and digest.

http://abbyshot.blogspot.com/2007/03/deckard-version-2-first-look.html
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I need to see it wet and grimey. Where's Roy's coat is what I want to know?
IGNITERS
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject: looks good... Reply with quote

this coat looks better than the orange looking one they had on ebay a while ago ...and it also looks wearable without it looking too much like costume day .
I think any company that cares enough to ask fans and "experts" what they think of there product before it is released and welcome input deserves feedback ...
does anybody have clean hi def shots of the original? or auction shots (assuming it was auctioned at some point)
how about the screen comparrison that folks have done with the blaster...

Last edited by IGNITERS on Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is just one man's opinion, but I think it's still too light colored. I like the wrinkles a lot more. I'd consider buying this one, honestly.

The thing is, the jacket is soaking wet through much of the film, so it looks brown, it looks darker than it is because of the lighting too.

To see the dry jacket in full light it does have kind of an orange tint to it. Like the blaster grips though, because of the way it's shot, it "feels" darker.

I just feel like they should try and capture the "mood" and the "feel" of the jacket more than be accurate to the color of the fabric that was originally used, while it's bone dry under the bright lights of a convention hall.

Still, this is a marked improvement.
hirohawa
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree it should be darker. The color is ttoo reminiscent of a cowboy duster
amish
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hirohawa wrote:
I agree it should be darker. The color is ttoo reminiscent of a cowboy duster

I really like the style and how the coat lays on the rack. I do agree it has to be a touch darker.

Very nice though!
repdetect
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey gang ! Abbyshot just PM me this :

http://abbyshot.blogspot.com/2007/03/deckard-colour-challenge.html

I think it's a great new for the ones who just can't wait for that coat !...

The colour excepting, I still think that there is something that bother me with the size of the collar's end ....and the 5th button at the bottom of the coat seems to be a litlle bit too low !?

Any thoughts about all of this guys ? ...I need your magic,...I need the old Blade Runners !! Very Happy
IGNITERS
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:56 pm    Post subject: great idea Reply with quote

how ya gonna complain about the color now that they have asked for our input to that extent ...there goes the fun lol...
THIS COMPANY CARES!
Good for you Abbeyshot!
repdetect
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys ! ...Has anybody made suggestions to Abbyshot concerning the Deckard'coat color challenge ?
I pm them suggesting that they should show several shots of the coat worn by a live model and they replied me that they will when the finished version will come out !! Surprised ...which is a little bit odd to me cuz these shots would give us a better appreciation of the trench and its 'eventual' little imperfections....Are you all agree with the V2 we can see on their blog ?
What do you think ?...Thanks ! Very Happy

Phil
nickdaring
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This coat is pretty damn close. I spent a couple hours one night going over the 2nd version and it's a damn fine replica. Anything that I felt bothered me was always super minor and not even worth posting about.

The color challenge was awhile ago and nobody sent anything in. I have very little problem with the color. It's pretty darn close and from what it seems it the closest thing they have been able to find after a long search.

After being kinda bummed about the ver1's inaccuracies, I am so happy with how this project of theirs is looking now. They really fixed all of the gripes I had originally posted about and continued to ask for further changes!

Abbeyshot rules.

Nick
repdetect
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep Nick, I quite agree with you concerning the accuracy of their new coat...very difficult anyway to have a good judgement on the color !...I just thought the color was a little bit too light.

As for the collar, or more exactly the collar size, it seems to be fuller as well on Ford's shots,...even if its width is good

Another minor detail : the last button is a little bit low compared to the original but I now you certainly notice it Very Happy

Phil
repdetect
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anybody get some news from Abbyshot concerning the Deckard's trench coat ?...
repdetect
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to dig up this ancient thread, but i'd like to know if anyone could post a few shots of the V2 trench, worn or not...cuz at abbyshot there aren't any good photos of the stuff and i'm waiting for their 'Professional photos' for too long now Sad
Thanks in advance

Phil
The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try and get a few snaps of it in the next couple of days.

I've got both the version one and two. The version 1 keeps out the rain like crazy, the version 2 soaks in pretty fast in steady rain, if you don't have a jacket on under it, you're getting soaked for sure. As far as function goes the v1 is the better rain coat as you will stay dry, as far as looks, the v2 will definitely give you more the look when its wet.

While neither is 100% screen accurate, the v2 is moreso than the v1. The one odd constant in both coats is the sleeves seem to run long, as in down to the middle of my fingers when my arms are at my sides, and I don't recall this being the case with Deckard's trench.

"We began to recognize in them a strange obsession..."

http://fcomin.cgsociety.org/gallery/
repdetect
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh thanks very much Loyal !!...i'm waiting for your photos, it seems odd to me that Abbyshot takes such time to show good photos of the coat Confused
To my knowledge, on the shots i've seen of the two version the color looks slightly different, v1 seems to be 'orange-brown' to me but heaven knows if it's difficult to get the real color on a photo, depending on the light...The collar on v2 seems to have been remade too, but i always thought that the way the collar's end fall wasn't the same in the movie. I think you've understood that i'm more worried about its screen accuracy than its under rain efficiency
MsGeek
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think the one Rachael did for Once Bitten is 1000% better than what Abbyshot is selling. She might have gotten the closest to the real costumes than anyone else. Next to what she accomplished I can't really say the Abbyshot stuff is so great.
repdetect
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rachael did an awesome job, and i love her trench-coat - OB such a lucky guy !! - unfortunately i doubt she is a BR trench retailer ! Sad

Phil
The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the photos of the Abbyshot v.2. Let me preface this by saying, all the photos were these taken with flash, room lighting, and diffuse natural light. I haven't altered them in any way aside from cropping and some rotation to correct a bad angle. I've also included a comparison shot between the v.1 and v.2 coats. But enough talk..

This is as close to the color as it appears in person, in person its just a tiny bit darker.

Collar details on v.2:

Note: The stitching really picks up the flash, its not that contrasting in person.

Comparison of v.2 and v.1:

Note: The version 1 has a different quilted material on the collar (its pretty toasty in the cold), the version 2 has stitching.

Overall I'm very satisfied with Abbyshot's garment, both the version 1 & 2. I'll leave you to judge screen accuracy for yourselves, for my personal tastes its close enough. I will say this, I much prefer their custom fitting to their off the rack sizes. Its a shame they don't offer this coat in custom sizes.

The thing to remember about the Abbyshot coat versus the one that Rachael made for Once Bitten is that, the Abbyshot coat is a product. Rachael's coat is a labor of love, and that makes a difference. That's not to knock or slight either one's quality and craftsmanship.

superjedi
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loyalizer,
Great shots! Thanks for posting.
I know their v.1 was made from what they call Mercury threads, and it's supposed to be extremely water resistant (which you mentioned.)
Is there a big difference in the feel and weight of the 2 versions? Does the v.2 fabric feel much different, heavier, lighter than the v.1?
The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

superjedi wrote:
Loyalizer,
Great shots! Thanks for posting.
I know their v.1 was made from what they call Mercury threads, and it's supposed to be extremely water resistant (which you mentioned.)
Is there a big difference in the feel and weight of the 2 versions? Does the v.2 fabric feel much different, heavier, lighter than the v.1?

Hmm... lets see.

The mercury thread is extremely water resistant, they aren't lying when they say it beads up on the surface, but it does soak in after a bit, I have been out in the rain for a few hours with it, and stayed totally dry. The v.2 saturates with water fairly quickly (10-15 minutes depending on how hard its raining) and I'd recommend having another jacket on under the v.2 coat and don't put anything in the pockets because they will soak in.

There isn't a really noticeable difference between the two fabrics as far as I can tell, both are very soft and fine. The mercury thread fabric seems very resistant to wrinkling or creasing, where as the other fabric is much more prone to wrinkling even while dry.

As far as weight goes, both coats are pretty much identical in weight, however if you have the quilted liner inserted in the v.1 coat its weight is double that of the v2. The quilted liner in the v.1 will make it look 'puffier' than the v.2, but once zipped out they drape about the same. I think the liner contributed alot to the v.1 looking not so good in the photos. The version v.2 coat does not come with a removable lining.

The collar of the v.1 is noticeably smaller than the v.2 its one of those things that you don't really notice until you put on the v.2 after having worn the v.1, but its not so small as to ruin the look of the coat. Build quality is on par with any department/mens wear store overcoat. Both are fully lined and there is no off pattern stitching or defects. One thing I have noticed is the Deckard coats seem to run long in the sleeves, and the overall finished length seems to me to be a bit longer than the film coat. Neither of which was a deal breaker for me.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: