FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Question regarding story
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steevy
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the book the 4 year lifespan wasn't intentional,it was a technical problem.They were unable to keep cells reproducing.
Vader
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True. On the other hand, in the movie it is clearly an intentional design feature.
The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Tyrell's statement "Commerce is our goal here at Tyrell, 'More Human Than Human' is our motto." Has a lot of impact. Clearly it suggests that the off world consumer market wants a more human replicant. The authorities do not. Simply because the authorities understand that the harder it is to detect one, the more problems they will have in an escape situation. Tyrell Corp's view is the opposite; the less human their product is, the less people will want it, and sure some might kill their owners, but that's a small percentage. Kind of like the iPhone 4, sure some people couldn't make a call with it, but most could. Hardly grounds for a recall. Although in fairness, your iPhone is less likely to dangle you off a building and ask you if you understand what it means to be a slave.

I don't think Tyrell developed the VK test. If they had, it would've probably have been part of their quality control process before releasing a new model, and any model that couldn't be detected would be scrapped, or sold to some shady operation for deniability. In the book, it was the Voight Scale test, later altered by Kampff, which if I recall were psychologists studying human and android empathy levels.

I've always seen the two as being separate. Tyrell makes them, VK sniffs them out. Kind of like Smith & Wesson makes the guns, Dupont makes the kevlar, just two business entities involved in the same market, but from opposite ends.

As for the replicant's rebellious tendencies, think about it, if you were forced to work as a slave, how quick would you jump on an opportunity to get out of that?

"We began to recognize in them a strange obsession..."

http://fcomin.cgsociety.org/gallery/
Vader
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Except that it seems you were actually less likely to not be able to make a call on your iPhone 4 than, say, on your equally non-recalled HTC or Blackberry. But of course, nobody expects a Blackberry to be perfect...

The difference being that mobile phones slug it out on a competitive market, whereas all indications are that replicants do not. Tyrell Corp. seems to have a monopoly. There is no issue of a Tyrell replicant being more or less likely to kill you than, say, a Pfizer replicant.

And yes, the makers of the equipment very seldom also are the makers of its countermeasure. Same market, opposite ends. Total agreement.
TimeEnough
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have definitive proof that Deckard is indeed human. When Zhora asks him if he's for real, he says in his real voice "oh yeah". Smile

Quote:
iPhone is less likely to dangle you off a building and ask you if you understand what it means to be a slave.

I keep having to reset my iPhone to factory settings because of this. Hehe
steevy
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't care what Ridley thinks.Deckard is human!! Very Happy
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, I stand corrected in my assumption that Tyrell was also the maker of the Voight-Kampff. My question is: at what time the Replicants became a problem? It seems that since the "retro-fit" look is a constance in the movie, it seems also that the V.K. machine was transformed over the years to detect better/faster the improved models churned by the Corp. One can see that there was, maybe, one main screen, the baffles and the eye piece, then, the add-on of an additional 2 screen unit to make sure other aspects of the detecting were covered, questions were refined. I think it became a problem for everybody involved from early on (my 2 cents)
BR12819
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joberg wrote:
My question is: at what time the Replicants became a problem?

The opening crawl states that all replicants were declared illegal on Earth after a nexus 6 combat team mutinied. Which doesn't make sense when Deckard asks Bryant what a "6" is. Unless however, what he's looking at is a Nexus 6 2.0

joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So by that deduction there wasn't any problems before that mutiny...Tyrell either developed better implanted memory chips or would it be possible that the androids became aware of their condition (by imitating humans and building a memory bank) and started to rebel? Possible...So the transformation of those replicants was rather fast (as well as the transformation of the V.K. and the questionnaire)...
nickdaring
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vader wrote:
True. On the other hand, in the movie it is clearly an intentional design feature.

Not nessesarily.

Tyrell's death scene has some interesting lines about it-

"The candle that burns twice as brite burns twice as fast."

Tyrell says that the replicant was built as best as they could, but not to last.

Performance over duration.

This goes against Bryant's line concerning the four year life span-

Bryant: The designers reckoned that after a few years they might develop their own emotional responses. You know, hate, love, fear, anger, envy. So they built in a fail-safe device.
Deckard: Which is what?
Bryant: Four year life span.

This implies that it's the the opposite.

Either interpretation is correct in a way, but I kinda like the poetic nature of Tyrell's view on the matter more. Smile

Nick
The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the book it was a problem even with the early models.

The opening crawl says in the 21st century Tryell evolved into the nexus phase, being indistinguishable from a human. We assume the 6 is the new model, but really it could've debuted in 2000 or later and been a best seller for almost a decade by the time the film opens up. The other thing is, and it's easy to overlook, but what if the four year lifespan is a recent development? After all I have owned several Bic lighters over the years, but I also have a zippo that's 20 years old and still works. The four year lifespan along with the false memories could've been Tyrell's answer to safety issues with the product.

One thing that seems to come across is that the memory implants for better control are something of a newer thing. Watch Leon and Roy's interaction in regards to the precious photos, there's almost a disdain in Roy's tone regarding them. Almost like he's talking to a kid that's a little too old to still believe in fairy tales. And Roy's regrets about his memories don't seem like implants, but recollections of actual events he witnessed, where Leon's are all about a childhood and a family he didn't have.

"We began to recognize in them a strange obsession..."

http://fcomin.cgsociety.org/gallery/
Art Deckard
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nickdaring wrote:
Vader wrote:

Not nessesarily.

Tyrell's death scene has some interesting lines about it-

"The candle that burns twice as brite burns twice as fast."

Tyrell says that the replicant was built as best as they could, but not to last.

Performance over duration.

This goes against Bryant's line concerning the four year life span-

Bryant: The designers reckoned that after a few years they might develop their own emotional responses. You know, hate, love, fear, anger, envy. So they built in a fail-safe device.
Deckard: Which is what?
Bryant: Four year life span.

This implies that it's the the opposite.

Either interpretation is correct in a way, but I kinda like the poetic nature of Tyrell's view on the matter more. Smile

Nick

Unless I've misunderstood you Nick, I don't see much difference between Bryant and Tyrell's viewpoint.

It's Roy who interjects with "but not to last" and Tyrell makes no attempt to deny that the replicants obsolescence is deliberately built-in, which is what Bryant has already told us. Unfortunately for Roy 'as well as we could make you' includes having to limit their lives, as it's the only solution to the emotional breakdown problem.
Clearly, Rachaels 'gifted memories' are the next step in tackling this. The 'revel in your time' and 'half as long/twice as bright' comments are Tyrell trying to soften the blow and talk Batty round.
Art Deckard
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Loyalizer wrote:
In the book it was a problem even with the early models.

The other thing is, and it's easy to overlook, but what if the four year lifespan is a recent development? The four year lifespan along with the false memories could've been Tyrell's answer to safety issues with the product.

That is what I've always instinctively thought. It seems to have happened whilst Deckard was out of the game.

At the risk of boring everyone:

I've always seen the replicants as lab-grown human beings almost like clones. They have certain desirable elements enhanced (strength, intelligence) and undesirable ones eradicated (emotions). They are essentially slaves so you don't want them to be depressed or angry or to crave emancipation. They are 'born' with full knowledge of what they are and what there lot in life is to be. Recently more sophisticated models have begun to develop emotionally for reasons that are currently beyond the ken of the Tyrell Engineers. They crave freedom as a result, they 'malfunction'. Four year life span is the radical 'quick-fix'.
Rachaels 'gifted memories' are the next step in tackling the problem.
I never thought of Roy, Pris, Leon and Zhora as having the memory implants.

As for your astute observations about Leon's memories (which would screw my theory right up!) I'd always assumed that Leon's older photo's were somebody elses and he just felt this compulsion to collect them. Almost as if his new emotional self craved a past, any past . Tyrell mentions a 'strange obsession'. Some of his photos have clearly been taken recently.
Art Deckard
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add, I realise there is no right or wrong here and we all are clearly on a hiding to nothing!
It does illustrate what a curious film BR is though. There's a few inconsistencies and loopholes but, as Loyalizer says, it doesnt diminish the movie at all.

A decent summing up I read very recently is that BR doesn't quite work storywise but everybody wants to live there!
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has been a great thread guys. Reminds me of some of the old days over at Bladezone and AFBR newsgroup. A part of me feels like we are having a Blade Runner renaissance.

Andy
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Renaissance is always at work (specially in social/discussion groups like ours); on one side you have the "old guard" and on the other side the "new guard" and it's that mix that makes it interesting in terms of discussion, argument, solution, etc. It's always in motion, discovering new layers, new images and new ideas: I love it
TimeEnough
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. Smile

My next question is why does Deckard ever go to Tyrell corperation in the first place? Was this to prove he could still detect after being gone for so long?
steevy
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time Enough,Bryant specifically sends him there to test a Nexus 6.They are unsure the VK works on Nexus 6 after Holden's failure.Frankly I think they screwed up in the crawl.I think androids and later replicants were fobidden on Earth shortly after they were developed(they perhaps participated in the last world war).The fact that BR is a secret police function indicates that people are unaware it is a problem ie that if they knew they would panic.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not so sure about Leon and Holden's interview...I think that at the end of the interview Holden knows...hence the image of him holding his gun and crashing into the desk...it was a simple western scene: who was the fastest shooter. It takes longer to detect Rachael...but she's detected at the end of the excercice also. The V.K. works, albeit slowly than before, with the new models. Maybe it's all a game between RepDetect and Replicant: as a Replicant I think that I have a lot of infos on how to be human...as a RepDetect I have a lot of questions (and the V.K. for confirmation) to catch the Replicant.
It reminds me of that scheme the Germans tried during the battle of the Bulge: recruiting German soldiers that had lived in the U.S. (either for school or others) and dress them as U.S. soldiers to infiltrate and wreak havoc on the inside! They were discovered when U.S. soldiers started to ask them seemingly inocuous questions about baseball teams or mixing on purpose the name of known baseball players (like Babe Ruth playing for the Phillies Shocked )...
Vader
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bad if some poor GI happens to be totally disinterested in baseball (come on, there have to be people even in America who know absolutely nada about the game!)...

I, too, have always taken Tyrell's assertions about burning twice as bright but half as long as an attempt to sweet-talk Roy into giving up his quest, while the information in what Bryant says I've taken to be literal truth in the context of the story.
This has to do with the storytelling structure: Bryan't conversation with Deckard is very much in the exposition phase of the story — the part where the audience gets to know and understand the world of the story — and if the information given there cannot be trusted, it becomes meaningless.
Tyrell's information on the other hand is so late in the story that its content or lack of veracity can be expected to be driven by the character and the situation, and hence may or may not be true.

The memory implant technology I've always taken to be a brand new development, to the point that Rachel is the only prototype (in the original version, that is — in the Director's Cut, Deckard himself is of course indicated to be another similarly implanted replicant).

It didn't take Holden many questions to snag Leon; it seems apparent he is not memory implanted. On the other hand, from Tyrell's impressed reaction, it seems that Deckard's test of Rachel is the first time a memory implanted replicant is given a V-K test.
What I have always wondered about however is, why doesn't Deckard quit after the first twenty, or forty, or fifty questions? Shouldn't there be a number that says that if the subject hasn't tripped after this number of questions, the test is negative? Or is it that Rachel's answers keep being ambiguous enough to warrant new questions?
It seems from Deckard's question to Tyrell after the test that even then, he isn't certain she actually is a replicant.[/i]
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: