FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Question regarding story
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dorian Gray wrote:
thought I was being clever while washing my hair in the the shower yesterday. Meh.

Well it hasn't caught on yet...so you were just as original. Hopefully we can make it a common BRism Wink

...Going back to Leon's interrogation...I am pretty certain he was faking it. He just kept asking questions through the whole interview. An old technique. Plus I think he figured if he annoyed Holden enough he would just give up and pass him. Unfortunately he slipped up just a bit and showed his emotion...or lack of automatic reaction along side with his emotional response. I think in the script they were supposed to be faking their emotions. I wonder if most actors would also fail this test? lol Wink

Andy
SCOFFMAN
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vader wrote:
Art Deckard wrote:
The Loyalizer wrote:
. Its actually the sequins he finds in the tub that lets him expose Zhora, because in her dressing room he plucks a sequin off a dress, not a scale off the snake.

He reaches into the bath and picks something up with his finger. We see him bag it and it's the 'snake scale' he later hands to the Cambodian lady in the same bag.

Quite. I, too, have always understood the object that Deckard finds in the bathtub to be the "snake scale" that leads him to Ben Hassan, and hence to Taffy Lewis, and hence to "Salome", and thus allows him to expose Zhora.

I too always assumed from the storyline that it was a snake scale, and the scenes in the movie itself confirmed it was a snake scale. Evidently that's not realy the case, as snakes don't actually have those sorts of scales...but if you don't allow for that in the storyline, then we're up the creek without a paddle, becasuse it WAS a snake scale that lead Deckard to Zhora and not sequins...
The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I'd forgotten about the sequins in the esper photo.

"We began to recognize in them a strange obsession..."

http://fcomin.cgsociety.org/gallery/
OUTLAW
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about Deckards photos on his piano ???
These also seem too old to fit in with the time period of the movie, they seem to be well over 100 years old and more likely to be his great grand parents and not the typical pics you would have around the house, again Tyrell provided memories/history ???

This is the only detail that has ever put any doubt in my mind regarding Deckard being a Replicant, apart from this I´ve always thought of him as being human.

My son has just watched the movie for the 1st time. I let him watch both the Final cut and the 1982 International cut (my personal favourite)

He thinks Deckard is human also.

The Final cut version IMHO was a clever way of generating fresh appeal (sales) and to get everyone talking, it worked a treat but its not the same movie for me.
Clever insertion of a borrowed unicorn clip, well done Ridley Scott but I would have preffered a 1982 version cleaned up etc for the "Final" version on Blueray.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes...the debate goes on. And what about the photo with Deckard and that blonde on the porch? Friend or wife/ex-wife? It could go both ways: implants and all those pics being supplied by Tyrell to make it air-tight...or Deck is really human and these pics are really his.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The photos on Deckard's piano appear to be the same ones he found at Leon's apartment.

Andy
Bishop To King 7
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TimeEnough wrote:
A side question I was wondering which is better: the non narrated or narrated version of BR? I only own the non narrated. Should I invest in the other version?

I never liked the voice-over until I saw the 2008 Extended Cut which is a fan edit. It combines all the voice-overs and deleted voice-overs. Along with deleted scenes and extended scenes.

OUTLAW wrote:
What about Deckards photos on his piano ???
These also seem too old to fit in with the time period of the movie, they seem to be well over 100 years old and more likely to be his great grand parents and not the typical pics you would have around the house, again Tyrell provided memories/history ???

This is the only detail that has ever put any doubt in my mind regarding Deckard being a Replicant, apart from this I´ve always thought of him as being human.

If you look closely at the stack of photos that Deckard finds in Leon's apartment you will see the stack also includes the old photos you mention. Deckard has them all laid out over his piano to see if there are any connections between them, or if one of the photos "sticks out". Eventually one grabs his attention and he examines it on the Esper machine. The old photos aren't his.

I have a question. If animals are so rare and expensive. How come Deckard is eating fish with noodles at the White Dragon and J.F. Sebastian is boiling eggs at home?

Deckard's new drinking game. Take a shot every time you see a Spinner.
OUTLAW
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy wrote:
The photos on Deckard's piano appear to be the same ones he found at Leon's apartment.

Andy

Cool, missed that . So Deckards "modern" photos are the ones in frames and the old batch are Leon´s.
Vader
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bishop To King 7 wrote:
I have a question. If animals are so rare and expensive. How come Deckard is eating fish with noodles at the White Dragon and J.F. Sebastian is boiling eggs at home?

Interesting question! Let's turn on the Speculatron again...
As we know that real animals are very rare and expensive, it follows that any animal flesh for human consumption must be in some way artificial. The question is, how expensive would replicated food animals be? Clearly there are differences in quality and complexity of replicated animals. Could animals replicated for food production be very cheap to produce?

Other alternatives...

The fish meat could be vat grown - never part of a real fish, but just cloned flesh. Or, it could be completely synthetic, just assembled out of chemicals or vegetable proteins.

The eggs ... could perhaps be manufactured in a very simplified replication process? After all, it only needs to replicate the appearance and nutritive content of the egg; none of its actual function in terms of avian reproduction.
photek
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good post Vader. as a vegan i can offer my tupence ...

there is a guy working on exactly what you spoke of. growing tissue cultures in a bioreactor. you take a single cell swab or DNA sample from a cow, fish, chicken, etc., foster cell-division then put it in this bio-reactor they are engineering. the tissue would be constantly exposed to a nutrient rich solution to speed up the process. the bio reactor would essentially be a kind of muscle inducing treadmill since the tissue would need to literally exercise for it have a more muscle-like consistency. less a treadmill and probably more like a dough hook you see at the pizza restaurants. he said the kitchen of the future would ideally have a bioreactor next to the bread-maker and similarly, in the morning you had a fresh loaf of bread and a fresh steak, chicken, lobster, etc. it would do away with resource-intensive factory farms (not to mention what goes on in them), trucking meat all over, etc. its called called New Harvest.

or ... a simpler solution is veggie or faux-meats. a personal favorite since i love the taste of meat (i refrain for ethical reasons). for years i have been eating veggie prawn and once its marinated in teriyaki and grilled on a kabob ... one can hardly tell the difference. the Asians have this down to a science. http://www.vegieworld.com/cart/product_pages.asp?id=580

its also an interesting side-bar to the story - since there is a shortage of real animals but plenty of humans ... so we would have to resort to protein analogs. not sure Ridley considered this, but its highly likely that shrimp or fish is soy-based. i like Deckard more and more each day!
SundayForever

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"He had a belly full of killing" (in VO). When Bryant told him, the Nexus 6 is worse, this could explain their inability to be discovered by machine VK. Deckard is why he later asked the question about the machine does not work when Bryant remains silent, I guess it is because he knows Deckard may be right. I think we can infer that Bryant needs is to assume Deckard replicant because Holden has been decommissioned.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: