FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Blade Runner Prequel/Sequel
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TimeEnough
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
who will WOOT! and SQUEEE! themselves into a frenzy about this kind of stuff and go home satisfied.

And then forget the movie ever existed after a week. BR2 might work with an independent/new film director. Has anyone seen the new Predators movie? It was "okay" and had some pretty good throwbacks to the original Predator movie, but in the end simply couldn't stack up. I see the same fate for BR2.
Vader
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...the world will probably be better off if this never flies...

Mind you, there are people on this planet who could pull something like this off, even to our unanimous and highly demanding satisfaction.

It is just that none of them get their payrolls signed in Hollywood.
The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vader wrote:
...the world will probably be better off if this never flies...

Mind you, there are people on this planet who could pull something like this off, even to our unanimous and highly demanding satisfaction.

It is just that none of them get their payrolls signed in Hollywood.

An excellent point. Would we still feel this way about it if it were being produced outside of hollywood?

"We began to recognize in them a strange obsession..."

http://fcomin.cgsociety.org/gallery/
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that is the point guys. The group that is buying the rights is not Hollywood. The are considered an Independant film company. They only have a distribution deal through Warner Bros., but are not controlled by them. The odds are still against this film, but at least this one point is hopefull.

Andy
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that's the one point I'm worried about; being non-Hollywood could mean that either Bud will have more power over the whole thing...or I siimply worry too much: in fact Bud had mellowed over the years and is saying that Ricley's film is the best one he has ever seen
Vader
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy wrote:
They only have a distribution deal through Warner Bros., but are not controlled by them.

Follow the money. With money comes control.
It is the Hollywood connection - any Hollywood connection - that worries me. The people themselves may not be located in Tinseltown, but as long as their paychecks are signed there, by whatever extension, I fear I have reason to remain skeptical.

In fact, the only thing that might make me rest easy about this project to any degree would be if the production was done entirely in Japan, with no Hollywood involvement at all. I think I could probably feel quite confident if the project was handed over to someone like Mamoru Oshii...
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That or Ridley finances it by himself and has total control over the whole thing
Vader
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or that, yes.
Art Deckard
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not normally a glass-half-empty kind of guy but my cynicism is grounded in reality. BR was kind of a fluke. Ridley was a visualist in the same vein as Kubrick and as stubborn as hell. The backers thought they were getting Han Solo chases killer robots around the future and he hands them a cerebral, downbeat, existential Sci-Fi art film that cost 27 million dollars.

EDIT: I just removed some humorous but probably overly pessimistic thoughts. In case anybody thought I was ranting. Wink

Last edited by Art Deckard on Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Art Deckard
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And yes, I am being silly. Laughing

EDIT: Sillyness removed.

Last edited by Art Deckard on Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Art Deckard
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy wrote:

3-That that world be realistic, and not glamorous. Some glamour as seen in Tyrell's office will be okay in contrast, but if every main character has unwrinkled clean clothes, and perfect skin and hair, I won't fall for the illusion, and it will look fake. I also relate better to actors that are a little odd looking than perfect and overly made up. It is this movies attention to that realism, that has kept it repeatedly watchable for so long.
Andy

Indeed. Also that the BR world be replicated faithfully. In 1982 Blade Runner was an intelligent guess at a believable future but I think it's now more important to treat it as an alternative timeline with 2019 just around the corner. No attempts at correcting the things that the original BR got 'wrong'. It wouldnt be the same environment with cell phones, flatscreen displays or holographic GUI's everywhere.

The original film makers combined 1930's fashion, Art Deco, High Tech Futurism etc to create a unique environment but Blade Runner is also a product of its time. I think that anyone looking to recreate the magic would also have to consider throwing early 80's elements into the mix.

See, positive thoughts!
TM
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To maximize their profit they must maximize their demographics.

Deckard: Charlie Sheen

Rachael: Lindsy Lohan

Bryant: William Shatner

And for a composer, since the 80's is so dated, Justin Beiber.

To quote from the film "Runaway Train", "Your brain is too small to imagine it." One just can't imagine how bad this could be.

Doomed.

Tony
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Art Deckard wrote:
andy wrote:

3-That that world be realistic, and not glamorous. Some glamour as seen in Tyrell's office will be okay in contrast, but if every main character has unwrinkled clean clothes, and perfect skin and hair, I won't fall for the illusion, and it will look fake. I also relate better to actors that are a little odd looking than perfect and overly made up. It is this movies attention to that realism, that has kept it repeatedly watchable for so long.
Andy

Indeed. Also that the BR world be replicated faithfully. In 1982 Blade Runner was an intelligent guess at a believable future but I think it's now more important to treat it as an alternative timeline with 2019 just around the corner. No attempts at correcting the things that the original BR got 'wrong'. It wouldnt be the same environment with cell phones, flatscreen displays or holographic GUI's everywhere.

The original film makers combined 1930's fashion, Art Deco, High Tech Futurism etc to create a unique environment but Blade Runner is also a product of its time. I think that anyone looking to recreate the magic would also have to consider throwing early 80's elements into the mix.

See, positive thoughts!

Well they kind of attempted to create flat screen TV's using the Fresnel lenses in front of the CRT TV's, not entirely successfully though. Also if the movie's future followed the books there would have been a large scale nuclear war that probably would have resulted in a ton of satellites shot out of orbit, as well as radioactivity in the atmosphere, making cell phones useless. The hardest part to believe is the size of the city of LA and the flying cars. The timeline should change though still.

I still like the idea of mixing the decades of styles, and believe the 70's 80's styles would like all styles, make their comebacks once again. ironically it may be one of the things that makes it so timeless.

Andy
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More links...

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Producers-Share-Some-Details-About-The-New-Blade-Runner-Film-23517.html

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/news/a307307/alcon-want-scott-for-blade-runner-2.html

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/culture/andrewlowryfilm/100051997/geeks-outraged-about-a-blade-runner-sequel-but-it-could-work/

http://www.shockya.com/news/2011/03/05/christopher-nolan-may-make-blade-runner-prequelssequels/

I will admit, I will get scared if I start to hear the words "Reboot", "Updated", "Improved", and "Restyled"...okay I made the last one up. Wink. So far those words have not been mentioned, and we know a "Remake" is out of the question.

So far it sounds more promising than I thought. By the time it gets made though it will be 2019 I am afraid.

Andy
Art Deckard
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two things here. Both negative and one possibly controversial.
Needless to say, they are both only my personal viewpoint.

1. Assembling the people responsible for the original BR is no guarantee of quality. Anyway, I think that Ridley, especially, would argue that the only reason to revisit BR would be the existence of a first class screenplay.

2. I'm not a fan of Christopher Nolan. I'm sorry. I found the Dark Knight to be underwhelming and flawed. Embarassed I couldn't believe it when he claimed to have made his people watch BR before filming commenced. This despite me being a Batman fan generally.
At least don't let him write the screenplay, whatever his skills as a director. Inception did nothing to change my mind.
The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TM wrote:
Bryant: William Shatner

Where are... all.. thereplicants?

"We began to recognize in them a strange obsession..."

http://fcomin.cgsociety.org/gallery/
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from io9...

Andy
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Full interview from io9 with Alcon producers Andrew Kosove, Broderick Johnson and Bud Yorkin...

http://io9.com/#!5775760/what-can-we-expect-from-the-new-blade-runner-movie-we-asked-the-producers

Andy
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True that assembling the original people who worked for BR prod does not make for succes (there's only 3 important things in a story: script, script and script Exclamation ) To get the original set decorators, costumers, propmasters might be good for continuity...but that's about it.

Do we want a good looking film only? No!
Do we want an intelligent story AND a good looking film? Yes! (by good looking I'm refering to the "look" of the different designs used throughout the movie: from the 30's to the 80's).
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blade Runner turned a lot of movie fundamentals upside down. In a traditional movie the plots and actors are the first and second most important, while the sets and soundtrack are only the framework. In BR the sets and soundtrack were the stars and costar of the movie, while the plot and acting was the framework. It allowed our minds to wander and explore the place, and see other and bigger stories going on at the same time as the main story.

The main story was extremely simple and a classic film noir structure. It was all the details that lead you into realizing the larger and broader stories going on. That to me has always been Ridley's genius, creating a realistic, living world that itself is part of an unexplored plot, that makes you want to explore it over and over again.

Andy
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 2 of 16

Jump to: