FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Modern Bulldog same as old Bulldog ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Helder22
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:16 pm    Post subject: Modern Bulldog same as old Bulldog ? Reply with quote

So I was about to bid on a Bulldog on Gunbroker for my project and thankfully decided to verify is the model was California legal. Turns out that it is not. Only the currently made Bulldog can be legally purchased in California.

Question is: are they the same? I know that the modern ones have a shorter barrel, but sine the prop apparently had a barrel custom fit to it anyway I cant see how that would matter much. I'm more worried about the frame, grip, etc.

Anyone know?

Helder
hauptmann
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've wondered the same thing because my local gun shop/FFL license holder for transfer said the same thing as you've discovered.

And the currently available model seems to be available only in Stainless steel.

Sad
Helder22
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have it in blue as well according to the website and my local store. Thats some good news.

Helder
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think DOC made his firing blaster from a modern bulldog. He didn't replace the barrel, he just milled part of the underlug away, if memory serves anyway. I believe the model he used had a longer barrel than what I have pictured here.

I think the newer models are very much the same as the old. The frame, trigger, hammer, release, etc. all look the same to me.

"classic" bulldog:

New Model Bulldog:

I think you're safe to use a modern version for your build.
Helder22
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks bud,
They look the same to me as well. If I find one with a long enough barrel that it can be cut down to the right length all the better. Will probably have to go the custom barrel route though.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The longest Barrel on these is a 4" barrel and is just a bit short for the gun. That is what Doc3D used. That is why he shortened the Steyr parts for his version to create an almost snub version. The Target version uses a 4" barrel that is tapered, and the Police 4" has a shroud that used to be removable, but I think the new ones are not, and Doc just cut off the sight, and incorporated the shroud parts into the inside of the Steyr mag housing.

Andy
racprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have run into major changes, one the hammer and handle grip screws come in from the other side.

You now see the screw heads on the left side at least that is how the one I got was.

Look at Noelands third picture, the one with the big rubber grips, note the screw heads are on this side now…

And second is the trigger, now they are smooth, the real one has groves/lines in it.

Other than these two changes it still is the same size and fits in place of my older cast off model.

And yes stainless steel is all they are making, but that is OK as the prop was either stainless steel or had its bueing stripped off as did the Steyr had.

And the 4 inch barrel is 1/2 a inch too short, THEY count the barrel from the part that nearly touches the cylinder inside the frame to the front end and that is a 4 inch barrel, we need a 4.5 inch barrel.

Rich
jameth
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard several times that Bulldogs aint so great. Is there a better brand like Colt or Smith that has a similar frame but the correct barrel length or one that can be cut down?????
racprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want accuraticy it is a Bulldog or nothing.

Also Bulldogs are the only one with a removable trigger guard.

And unless you planing on defending yourself with a movie prop hand gun it is fine as a prop.

Of course if you shopping hand guns any thing is better than a Bulldog.

The story is with a good hand gun you test fire it 500 rounds and if it does not misfire it is a life saver, but 500 rounds though the Bulldog: is now worn out.

Rich
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trigger guard is built into the Grip frame. The grip frame and trigger guard can be removed together, but since you want to keep the grip, you will need to cut off the trigger guard. I have not seen any that have a separate guard. None of my manuals show them with that version either. New or old.

Andy
Delmustator
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being that I recently purchased a SIDKIT, now I am in the process of looking at replacement parts from a real bulldog. Parts prices are relatively cheap. Waiting to see what I can replace with real steel.

Current Parts PDF
propsjonnyb
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following on from Rich's post , you need to grind down the trigger hammer , to match Rich's , take off the trigger guard and grind it flat to match Rich gunframe , have a 'new' .44 4.5" custom barrel fitted, replace the trigger and fix the dummy one to the front on the gun frame, replace the trigger guard , drill and tap the frame adding all location holes for adding back both shrouds, sight rod , upper reciever with bolt arm Oh and the most important of all 'bob' the ejector Rod to fit and add the ammo box . You could try a S&W .38 but that would alter the gun somewhat , you can 'customise' it to look like a Bulldog but there is no other true .44 cal I know of that will fit .
Since I only go for a SPFX 'fire effect' , I can use a .38 PFC with a. 44 Barrel and it looks identical externally, only the drum is slightly smaller when the gun is 'broken' to load and the heft weight is slightly different , those are the only two minor things.
hauptmann
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Delmustator wrote:
Being that I recently purchased a SIDKIT, now I am in the process of looking at replacement parts from a real bulldog. Parts prices are relatively cheap. Waiting to see what I can replace with real steel.

Current Parts PDF

Is an FFL necessary to order parts?

Very curious if you can just call them up and order parts or if it takes something more. Please let us know, very interested!

J
racprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No only if you were to order the main frame with its serial number, and that is true for all gun parts, as long as there is no serial number it can be bought.

Rich
msh441

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm considering taking on this project as well and I'm very interested in how others have progressed with such a build.

Rich has been a HUGE help fleshing out this idea for me but I still have some research ahead of me before moving forward.

I'm a LEO in Washington state, so I don't believe there will be any issues with which Bulldog I can buy. Considering custom barrel vs. stock right now and then how much of a blaster kit (and what degree of finish) I will need to complete the package.

Is there an "official" thread for those undertaking this project?

Anyone want to consider colladorating skills/efforts in somthing like this? Go in on a run of barrels, or say coordinate compiling custom build kits that would not include parts included in the real, firing bulldog?

Can anyone post a few links here to other threads featureing firing m2019 blasters? I seached for "DOC" in this forum to see what I could find, but either there's noting, or my search-judo sucks.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try searching for posts by doc3d.

Here is one of his first threads on his gun...
http://propsummit.com/viewtopic.php?t=1222

Andy
msh441

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent Andy. Thank you.

I was under the impression his screen name was simply "DOC".

Appreciate it.
skullsoldier
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, guys - I just scored a Tomenosuke Pro and am interested in replacing the "guts" with a real Bulldog. I'm in Texas, so .44's come standard with school lunches

Has anyone tried to fit a Bulldog frame into a Tomenosuke? I'm also considering having one built on Rich's killer Worldcon, which I know will accept a Bulldog, but one project at a time. Any help is appreciated.

Scott
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never saw or heard someone transforming a Tome with a real Bulldog...you could be the first to do so. PM Rich: he's offering a blank firing Bulldog built on his gun.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: