FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
DANTE 01
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that you're a good photographer Fred...what I'm saying is that the head of L. Wilson in these shots are a little off in terms of likeness to the original actor. I saw him at the Festival du Film in Montreal quite a few years ago and he was looking very good...or maybe the director gave him that look on purpose: being frozen for a certain amount of time is not good for your complexion
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joberg wrote:
.or maybe the director gave him that look on purpose: being frozen for a certain amount of time is not good for your complexion

Oh yes JB, that's a frozen / long hibernation effect for sure, nothing to do with a bad light or semi-blurry effect induced by me when I took that pic in full excitation !

Fred
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nexus42 wrote:
Great images from Dante 01 Fred, very creepy!.....this is one of those pictures that slipped under the radar onto dvd? a unique look to this film, love the overall design, especially the transort shuttle which has an early nostromo look to it? very clunky and modular, and the impressive cubist style Dante 01 space station.

Thank you Nex !
The film didn't do well at the box office here in France (it was received as something "too odd to be understood") but I think it sold enough on DVD to generate a small cult following... It's better than nothing !
To tell you the truth, Marc caro was looking for something very CCCP, very bulky, almost ugly for his film, something you had never seen before. The first intention was to develop round shapes very typical of the space pioneers era, but building sets this way would have been too expensive, so he had to evolve to square, cubist shapes instead.

nexus42 wrote:

The collaboration of Jeunet and Caro has produced some great films, Delicatessen so quirky and typically french in style and humour! then the "Gilliamesque" City of lost children, a stunning film and great cast (the less said about Alien IV the better)....

Oh yes, City of the Lost Children is the one I really love ! They had planned to film this one first but it wasn't greenlighted at that time (to risky for newcomers, from a producer POV) so they had to think of something smaller for their big screen debut, with a reasonable budget, that's how they did Delicatessen first. the rest is History.

nexus42 wrote:

As for Caro's first solo effort this is still a impressive movie, though I'm not surprised it suddenly seems to loose it's train of thought towards the end! having your budget cut from €8,000 000 to just €4,000 000 will probably do that! although this still looks good for such a paltry budget. a credit to Caro as a director. Alien, Dark Star, Silent Running the recent Moon all had small budgets for a sci-fi film, look how they turned out! although he seems a bit miffed with the editing of his film?

Marc is a great art director but he also had a great team around him for this film. Everybody tried to give him his best (he's very demanding) and I think it definitely paid on screen, despite the tight budget. The only problem was the story... It was rather odd to begin with but the producers convinced him to change the end in the editing room, leading the whole project to a catastrophic ending... I'll try to explain this later in this thread with the help of storyboard / screencap comparisons.

nexus42 wrote:

Still rather watch this visual and cerebal story with its faults than many of the pieces of big budget "crap"! churned out by hollywood over the last year!

Ditto !

He reused (and enhanced) some of his visual ideas on Enter the Void, Gaspar Noe's last film. Marc worked as the Art director on this one, here is the trailer :

http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi2532115993/

and the GREAT opening credits (I let you imagine the effect on a big screen) :

http://www.excessif.com/cinema/videos/enter-the-void-le-generique-du-film-5698185-760.html

It's an hypnotic film, a true visual trip ! (but it's too long imho)

Fred

Last edited by SKIN JOB 66 on Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:06 am; edited 1 time in total
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, back to our topic, this time with St Georges' tattoo.

Too bad it's almost never clearly seen on screen because it's rather interesting... It was intented to tell in a certain way what kind of man St Georges really is...

It was inspired by the illustrations of Ivan Bilibine, a great early XXth century russian master of illustration.

The oryol around the knight's helm is supposed to evoke a cosmonaut helmet, there's a 4 branches star (for the 4 cardinal points) with the number "3" (for the Holy Trinity, to underscore the character's alien / divine nature) written inside... This means that "God" is everywhere... take it as you want ! (I'd like to underscore here that I'm not a believer but I love the mystical aspect of 2001 : A Space Odyssey)

Oh, yes... A last thing : The russian birth name "Yuri" written on the decorative band translates to "Georges". It also was the birth name of the first man in space, Yuri Gagarin.

Fred

Last edited by SKIN JOB 66 on Thu May 26, 2011 4:15 am; edited 1 time in total
AaronD82
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this film on DVD, picked it up years ago.

Very strange, but fascinating
SCOFFMAN
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SKIN JOB 66 wrote:
joberg wrote:
Good stuff Fred, the space station is very "now" tech...probably not too far into the future on that one Wink

I thought it was too weird the first time I saw it... but I agree, it looks rather realistic in terms of space aeronautics esthetic.

OK, next thing I wanted to show here is the cryo unit they unload from the shuttle. I saw the real prop in person, it looked rather cheap, very simple (detailing, painting). It reminded me of a freezer... a cheap freezer...

Well, I was surprised to see it looked really good in the film, once properly lit and filmed... that's what they call "Movie magic" I guess !

Fred

PS : The head you can see through the cryo unit window in the 3rd screencap is a silicone cast, not the real actress that was supposed to be inside... I still don't understand why they made a very realistic fake head for ONE shot, they could have saved money for other effects if they had used the actress !

Maybe she was too afraid to get into the thing because of the budget cuts, or because it was TOO much like Russian tech!
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AaronD82 wrote:
I have this film on DVD, picked it up years ago.

Very strange, but fascinating

You'll be surprised to learn that according to Marc Caro DANTE 01 was his attempt at delivering a mainstream film, not at all something intended to be (too) strange !

Wait to see his next project (if it ever happens someday), compared to it DANTE 01 will look rather "normal" !

Fred

PS : SCOFFMAN, from what I've heard the actress was so scared by the casting process that the SFX guys had to cast her twice ! (the first attempt was a complete failure because she freaked out after a while with all the stuff on her face)
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing Fred...very interesting. Still don't understand why they cast her for that shot Confused ...oh well.
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK JB, I asked Marc and here is what he told me :

If I remember correctly it must be that the actress had to be on another shooting at the time of the shooting of this plan... it also decreased the cost of manufacturing the sarcophagus and easier handling...

Makes sense now !

Fred
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Fred...yes, who needs the actress when silicone is available
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shortly after St Georges arrives on DANTE 01, one of the guardians fixs a strange metallic object on the left side of his skull (He drills a hole just behind his ear actually).
This device is supposed to give data on him and his location on the station... a kind of "ear plug" or "insane usb key" in a way... Each prisoner had one.

These props were really neat, made of steel with a pulsating colored light. (each prisoner had his own color : White for St Georges, Yellow for Moloch, etc...)

Due to budget restrictions, only 2 of these were made for each character.

Fred

joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's very neat indeed (love it actually Cool )Thanks for sharing Fred.
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joberg wrote:
That's very neat indeed (love it actually Cool )Thanks for sharing Fred.

You're welcome JB !

I forgot to say that the ear plug colors for each character were inspired by mantra colors. IIRC They were supposed to symbolize each character in a certain way : White for purity, Yellow for greed, etc...

Fred
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because the colors of the "Ear Plugs" were inspired by the Mantras, the prisoners' clothes had the same yellow color than the robes of Tibetan monks !

The main idea behind this design option was to underscore the not so well hidden holy aspects of the plot... (something rather close to 2001 : A Space Odyssey in a way)

The clothes look simple but are stuffed with very interesting details... For example, the second photo is a close-up of one of the two costumes made for Moloch, a prisoner portrayed by François Hadji-Lazaro (he also was in City of the Lost Children where he portrayed one of the Cyclops). The fabric is of the highest quality and there's some repairs on one elbow, traces of blood on the collar and chest, fitting straps here and there, etc... There's also (of course) a tag that reads "Moloch" on the pants and vest.

A last detail : Tees worn underneath were pistachio green, like those worn by the crew of the Nostromo...

Fred

joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like the costumes Fred, simple and detailled at the same time It seems that I recognize the school Director of that orphanage in post-war France..."Les enfants"?
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joberg wrote:
It seems that I recognize the school Director of that orphanage in post-war France..."Les enfants"?

You're right, it's Dominique Pinon.

The guy on the right in the last photo, Lotfi Yahya Jedidi, was also in City of the Lost Children where he portrayed a Cyclop.

As you can see, Marc Caro worked with a lot of old friends on Dante 01 !

Fred
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing's wrong with working with old friends...or actors you admire Wink Lord knows that quite a few directors are always placing their favourite into their movie (James Cameron comes to mind right away: from Sigourney to Michael and many others).
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course nothing's wrong in this kind of situation...

He knew it was going to be a difficult shooting with a tight budget and no (or almost no) time for rehearsals, that's why he wanted as many reliable friends as possible around him.

Fred
jfuste
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely thread Fred... I found Dante 01 thanks to you, and enjoyed as well the storyboards book! Razz
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Joan !!!

OK, time to resurrect this thread...

The sets were stuffed with tons of markings, alas barely noticeable in the film because of the heavy post-production work on the light and colors. The idea here was that the station interiors / walls were made from discarded containers...

BTW, the graphic designer responsible for all this small graphic elements was portaying the mad sniper in Caro & Jeunet's first film, Bunker of the last gunshots.

Fred

Last edited by SKIN JOB 66 on Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> The Coffee Shop All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: