FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Building a Shooter
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eltee
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:13 pm    Post subject: Building a Shooter Reply with quote

For years I have wanted a Blade Runner blaster that would shoot. I've probably owned one of each version of Rich Coyle's beautiful replicas and he and I have traded ideas and engineering concerns over the years.

First off, I am a middle aged policeman so I am fully aware of the legalities involved. On the side I am a fully licensed gun dealer, I sell real guns and I design and build prop guns (inc. some that shoot).

When making or modifying a real firearm, you need a working knowledge of metallurgy, physics, ballistics, etc. as you can easily turn a pistol into a hand grenade that goes off in your hand. The Blade Runner blaster is built on a .44 caliber revolver. That's .44 caliber. Alot of bang that, if not contained and channeled properly, can easily blow up the Charter Arms top strap, cylinder wall, etc.

So, kids, do not try this at home. It is not for amateurs and you truly need a machine shop to do it properly and safely. Having a grinder, a Dremel and a vice will not do it. To get this far, it took an experienced machinist (who builds semiauto rifles out of aluminum billets) using computer controlled industrial lathes, milling machines, etc.

This thread is for entertainment and informational purposes only. It is not a how-to, it is not a tutorial. It is a show and tell. Here we go:

Here's my Coyle Worldcon Blade Runner Blaster that will eventually house my Charter Arms Bulldog:

I took the barrel off my Charter Arms .44 special Bulldog. Note the two shoulders (unthreaded portions, only one highlighted) where the barrel screws into the gun:

The two shoulders are critical and must be matched to ensure proper fitting to the frame. The frame itself is designed for the unthreaded shoulders. I took .44 cal barrel stock (a rifled blank, unfinished barrel material) and had it turned to the proper diameter on a lathe, cut it to length, turn down the threaded area, threaded it and shouldered it and cut the crown to specs. It was then placed in the frame. It is not simply a matter of screwing a barrel into a frame. Remember, .44 cal. is a significant load. You need to consider the leade (sic), the "flash gap" or gap between barrel and cylinder, the torque spec for tightening the barrel, the amount of contact spec'd by the factory for thread contact, etc.

Then there is the matter of cutting off part of the ejector rod and a cosmetic/dust cover on the crane as shown here:

Here is the Bulldog with the new barrel:

The next parts of the project will be to:
1. Fit the Bulldog into the Coyle replica and secure it so that it will hold together under the stresses of firing, recoil, gas and heat venting, etc. Remember Newton's 3rd law of motion!
2. Removing the bluing to better simulate the look of the original.
3. Deciding on a Coyle replica Steyr, a real Steyr or different replica Steyr to stack on top.
4. "Dust" testing. Blowing powder (dust) to determine the course of the flash and heat when the gun fires to determine if modification to the side panels is needed. Doc3d IIRC did indicate he modified those panels on his Blade Runner shooter. Will need to determine if containment or release is the way to go re. the venting.
5. Assembly and test firing. Staring with talcum loads using a primer only and working up to using a bullet. This will be done remotely using a Ransom Rest. I'm not willing to risk my hand until all this is done, and even then I'll probably wear a glove.

I hope to have progress photos and reports soon. Cool
Staar
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a Shooter Reply with quote

An excellent post eltee mate - very insightful and looking full of promise.

I think however that this will be an issue because as far as I recall, the Mods are keen to keep all conversions regarding real weapons off the boards - something I understand completely. Irrespective of the disclaimer warnings regarding the expertise needed its bound to attract hack backyard gunsmiths..

Regards

MARK

joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eltee, if someone can pull that off it's you and Rich (and to a certain extend Doc). While I applaud your expertise, not only in transforming and machining the weapon, but also in terms of physics and safety measures. I know that we tend to sound like broken records but we'll have to repeat ourselves again and again that these types of customizations are not for the amateurs!

Now as a show and tell, I don't know if you have found a loophole in the recent "no real weapon transformation will be permitted on this board for legal and safety reason" type of disclaimer...only time will tell. Wink
eltee
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I looked and could not find a proscription against this. I just PM'd one of the mods for clarification.

For the record, since this Bulldog is being worked on, in other's hands, etc. the firing pin has been removed (very simple op on the CA) so as you see it, it is an inert paperweight. Just a safety precaution but technically this gun is now not shootable. In order to display it legally not under lock and key in my state, it needs to be rendered inoperable anyway.

Apologies if I broke the rules.
amish
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the moment, we we are in discussions about this, the discussion is fine, however, the sale of parts, or what not for a real or blank firing firearm is not.

Simply, the discussion of the blaster itself is based around a real firearm. I just do not want people selling them here or through this forum in anyway.

Propsummit and its operators assume no liability for what a person builds based upon recommendations made by the users of this forum.

Hope that helps. I trying to write up a Guideline that declares our intent, but wording it just right can be tricky.

I hope that helps!

Gary, that is awesome!

Tom
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are still looking into getting more advice on where our liabilities are, because we know for a fact that sooner or later someone is going to jump head first into one of these builds without the expertise that Eltee, and the others here doing it have, and will end up with a trip to the hospital or worse.

We still want to have these discussions, but we may have to make up a special warning that will go in these threads. Even without us discussing these types of guns, just the knowledge of the hero gun's construction may influence some people to try it anyway, so hopefully we can use this as a time to educate those that are thinking about it, to stop and think first, and know the real dangers.

We also can not appear as a brokerage for selling these real fire arms, or for doing the work on them. Selling and possessing of firearms (esp pistols), as well as the modification of such guns is a legal quagmire (love that word) that could also draw attention from very powerful federal legal forces. Thankfully Eltee is one of our experts here that we can refer to when it comes to these issues.

In the mean time we can still admire the work being done as long as we all know the board itself does not recommend anybody doing this on their own, or at all without legal and professional gunsmithing guidance.

Andy
hirohawa
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really hope we keep this thread.

I would liken it's existence to threads on a car forum (which I am a member of) of professional engine builders modifying their cars, by various mods (Superchargers, Turbos, heads & Cam, Etc). In the hands of experts fine, a definite no no for shade tree mechanics. As an example there is a guy on the Corvette Forum that modified his stock car to produce real 2000HP, and has just set a new 1/4 world record. But it is done by expert technicians so he does not blow up when he goes down the track.

I think threads like this are important intrinsically and I also believe the process to make one is so complex that almost no one here would be even able to attempt them without some heavy duty machinery.
amish
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hirohawa wrote:
I really hope we keep this thread.

I would liken it's existence to threads on a car forum (WHich I am a member of) of professional engine builders modifying their cars, by various mods (Superchargers, Turbos, heads & Cam, Etc). In the hands of experts fine, a definite no no for shade tree mechanics. As an example there is a guy on the Corvette Forum that modified his stock car to produce real 2000HP, and has just set a new 1/4 world record. But it is done by expert technichans so he does not blow up when he goes down the track.

I think threads like this are important intrinsically and I also believe the process to make one is so complex that almost no one here would be even able to attempt them without some heavy duty machinery.

I know we want to keep threads like this and have no real issue. We are just looking at having some guidelines to protect everyone involved in the event of a worst case scenario. Otherwise, at the moment, as long as no one is selling actual firearms or blank firing firearms or parts to convert something into a firearm, discussion is open. I mean, the blade runner blaster is based on actual firearms. How can we not discuss it
Staar
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

amish wrote:
I mean, the blade runner blaster is based on actual firearms. How can we not discuss it

Amen!

joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES! Let's keep this thread alive, but as Amish and Andy said, some type of disclaimer should be either at the top of the page or within the rules of protocol and etiquette of this board.
SCOFFMAN
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:21 am    Post subject: Very cool! Reply with quote

Awesome discussion thread, thanks for sharing your info and build in progress eltee!

If all the MythBusters have to do on TV is say: DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME, then I think you guys are covered. I mean, how many people watch their show vs. how many people read this website - and they're blowing stuff up with C4 & ANFO and shooting fully automatic weapons!

I do understand where you guys are being cautious, as you don't want a detailed message thread on building a film replica weapon that fires real ammunition to be construed as a "how-to" manual on building your own.

I appreciate the effort that has gone into the project and the willingness of eltee to share his work. I too hope this message thread can continue.

Scoff
eltee
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 12:37 pm    Post subject: Sight Rod Reply with quote

I helped Mike (MSPAW) a little with his incredible machined, steel sight rod. I decided I was going to use one of his green LED sight rods on the shooter but always felt that paint softened fine, machined detail by filling voids, etc.. I chose not to paint it, but blued it using a cold blue paste. Now "blueing" actually turns steel black or blue/black, just the look I wanted for my shooter.

Here's a pic of the rod after the blueing process:

Note how the knurling remains in sharp detail. If I had used paint, the paint would have softened the effect.

joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True details are kept using bluing for sure Eltee, the next best thing is airbrushing where you can have much more control on the amount of paint you'll spray onto the piece...rattle-spraycans should be the last on the list even with special nozzles affixed to them. Wink
eltee
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the Bulldog, stripped of its finish and being prepped prior to fitting it to the Coyle blaster.

Slow but sure progress. Cool
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to my pacemaker I can withstand the shock Shocked Cool
eltee
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a recent shot of the shooter and the components from Rich Coyle. The receiver is the new, improved Steyr replica and is highly polished. It is so good that I decided to forgo a real Steyr SL .222 of the correct vintage that was offered.

While this is being worked on, I removed the firing pin. As fitting and assembly begins, I will post more.

Fitting one of the sideplates. I will have two sets, one will be modified for shooting so that it can vent gas and heat, the other set will be screen accurate for display purposes.

joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Shocked Cool great job so far...keep up the good work!
eltee
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update. Getting there. Here is how it currently looks. New upper, panels, Steyr mag, etc. from Rich Coyle. Green site rod from MSPAW. Real binding post.

This would not be possible without Rich. Exclamation

The next pic shows my "shooter" next to one of my original RAC resin replicas. Note the new style Steyr mag.

Plan to shoot it this summer. Will take photos / video if it all works out. Some ramped up tests need to be done first.
Gero
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW! You did a man´s job!
In Germany we can´t do this without seeing the jail from inside. Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: