FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
A New Snub Nose Blaster from Goldberg Arms
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lookin' spiffy
nyreaper
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saw this originally over on the rpf...
freakin' love it!!
can't wait to see the finished product Smile
DaveG
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 11:45 am    Post subject: Updates to the Design Model Reply with quote

I've been working away on the design for the Snub Nose Blaster. Here are renderings of where it stands now. I've modeled a first pass at the forward clip housing. Basically a squashed version of the Steyr housing on the original. It still needs the recesses on each side for the LEDs. I'll probably play around with other designs for the housing as well. I've also refined the triggers and trigger guard, Receiver and modeled the thumb slide on the right side. Many of these parts will be 3D printed from the CG files.

"I just want to say people... Get A Life! Move out of your parent's basement! It's just a movie!"
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is BAD ASS. Love the logo too!
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clean and sharp, the way I like it. Good job on the rendering Dave Cool
DaveG
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 9:33 am    Post subject: Refinements to Ammo Clip Housing Reply with quote

Here are further refinements to the ammo clip housing. Added the recesses and LEDs and the embossed Goldberg Arms logo. These parts will be 3D printed. A note about the slotted screwhead on the bottom. One of the things that has always bothered me a little about the hero prop was the use of hex head cap screws instead of slotted fillister head screws, which are normally used on firearms. So on my version, fillisters will be used.

"I just want to say people... Get A Life! Move out of your parent's basement! It's just a movie!"
Staar
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Refinements to Ammo Clip Housing Reply with quote

Lookin' especially sweet Dave. What a gorgeous extension to the franchise and I love the use of your logo on the blaster - very fitting.

The only thing I'm not sure about is the change from the hex screws. While I know they are not usually used in firearms, I always felt their use elevated the blaster from what might be considered 'usual' directly into the realm of the science fiction..

Keep us posted mate..

Highest regards

MARK

DaveG
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Refinements to Ammo Clip Housing Reply with quote

Staar wrote:
While I know they are not usually used in firearms, I always felt their use elevated the blaster from what might be considered 'usual' directly into the realm of the science fiction..

Funny, I always thought the use of hex cap screws depressed the prop and looked like a solution of convenience. That's why I like doing concept pieces. My design, my screws! Smile

Staar
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Refinements to Ammo Clip Housing Reply with quote

DaveG wrote:
[My design, my screws! Smile

I doubt anyone's arguing that …

M

joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord knows that there's a lot of screw designs out there (just looking at the screws used on Iron Man's helmet is one example). Now, of course, you might have to do things when building a "Sci-Fi gun":

1) Do you want to respect what the industry has been doing for years in terms of parts/pieces (slot screws are really old yet reliable, used in thousand of products, so if it's not broken...it could be used in 2019 Wink )

2) Or, for the sake of the argument, while creating that weapon, you could also create an all new set of parts/pieces that you feel would "jive" with that "new world" also.

Since we are used to a certain look (Deck's gun and other versions) constance in the design is a must...just my 2 cents
DaveG
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought that the best science fiction designs, at least for a near future world as is the setting for Blade Runner, are those which rely heavily on current technology as the foundation for the future. One of the things that makes the Blaster such a classic design (and why we're all so obsessed with it after all these years) is the use of existing firearms components in a recognizable manner. Except for the side covers and the Steyr ammo clip (seen mostly inside out) everything else are pretty straight forward contemporary components. The desire to make the Blaster more believable is probably one of the reasons Ridley Scott rejected Syd Mead's concept blaster, which while being a very cool design, just doesn't seem to fit as something a hard boiled detective would carry.

Even though the movie is set in 2019, there's nothing saying the gun couldn't already be many years old. The Colt 1911 Pistol is still in production and use today, basically unchanged in a hundred years. Deckard would be likely to carry a weapon that is reliable and with which he is comfortable, not just the newest thing available. (Whether or not Deckard is actually more than 4 years old is a discussion for another thread!). I am thinking about PKD-SN2011 as the model number for this blaster.

BTW many of the screws will be practical, not cast in, so if someone wants to use cap screws, drywall screws, or anything else, they'll be able to.

Robotprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drywall screws! Tactical and practical! Very Happy
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A controversy over the screws! Who saw that one coming?

I like slotted screws. I used them on my steampunk snubby, and anytime I need grip screws I always seek out the slotted variety.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No controversy...just friendly banter on screws (good points made by Dave btw). As a European, I thought that there was only two kind of screws: slotted and Phillips. Then, I immigrated to Canada and discovered the Robertson...nuff said Wink
SCOFFMAN
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, screw you guys!

Heh, sorry couldn't resist! Smile

Very much enjoying your sharing of the work you have been doing on your concept of a snubby blaster DaveG... personally I think all blaster models should be completed with drywall screws, but that's just my opinion. Hex-heads and slotted screws are so passé... Wink
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think at the time of filming "allen" heads were primarily used on machinery, and not so much in consumer products. To them they may have had just that slight bit of "unusualness" that says "Futuristic", or at least "High Tech". I like their industrial quality. Of course the guy(s) working on this gun were machinists, and likely had the screws on hand. It is almost too bad that they had used them on the grips at all. Maybe use pins to hold them in place and use a single center screw or medallion bolt like real gun grips do. The edge placement of those screws in the grip are not very practical or attractive.

Though you really can't get much more elegant than a slotted screw. A simple classic design that has been around for centuries. Most guns still use them to this day.

Andy
SCOFFMAN
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Though you really can't get much more elegant than a slotted screw. A simple classic design that has been around for centuries."

Nawww.... you still can't get past the fact that Duct Tape is even more elegant than a slotted screw. I mean, can you even sculpt underwear out a slotted screw? No, but you can out of Duct Tape!

scoff

I hope I've made my point that screw envy is a waste of time...
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as somebody who restored antique furniture in another life, I can tell you that the slotted screw (easy to produce) can be a pain to work with because of a few problems with the design:
Your screw driver will always slip out of the slot Evil or Very Mad
Try to balance the screw on the tip of your screw driver (let's say to affix something on a ceilling: good luck on that one!), besides, you cannot use a drill to screw something either (major slippage!)...I could go on an on with my rant; Robertson rocks Smile
doppelganger01
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the direction you've taken with your snub design, Dave. It possesses gravity and warps the space around it such that one is drawn to its appeal.

In the multiple quantum realities that I believe exist, all options are possible regarding screws. The Blade Runner ether is replete with a myriad of ways, especially in a universe where these ways include retrofits and a "what's old is new" philosophy. The recycling of old, used parts is common place there. For years I've quietly ruminated over how this gun, given its design aesthetic, could actually work. And for years, I've come up with nothing - until recently. I have finally decided that the BR blaster is strictly unique to its own reality, the one in that other alternate timeline. I see it as a product of "gun-bashing", just like its doppelganger in our reality, with the notable exception that ours is merely a movie prop. Theirs, on the other hand, combines something new, and higher tech (internals) with older, used and discarded rifle parts (outer) which statically house its true firepower. So, the gun manufacturer, in a reality where retrofitting old to new is common place, would most likely have recycled whatever screws he had on hand at the time. Just like what probably occurred in our reality with the movie prop. Ultimately, anything goes, even drywall screws.

Rick

www.reddragonkipplecompany.com
www.pflagerkatsumata.com
www.ricklross.com
DaveG
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:52 am    Post subject: Exploded Views Reply with quote

Here are a couple of Renderings showing all the different parts for the Snubby.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 2 of 18

Jump to: