FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Blade Runner Aesthetic
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:51 am    Post subject: Blade Runner Aesthetic Reply with quote

Though this is not about Blade Runner Props per say, It is about things that could have been props, and may just have been out of camera range. Many of us have seen things that remind us of the feeling of the movie. It could be a Vintage or New item or a piece of Art Work or Architecture. I know a bunch of us here have thought about replicating Deckard's apartment for ourselves and looked for furniture and accesories that could make our place more BR like. This is a search for all things that could exist in the Blade Runner Universe. I personally have been on this search for over 20 years and in a couple of instances bought something from the movie before I knew it was in the movie (i.e. "Chicken" Ashtray, Zero Halliburton case). I am curious to what all of you have found that you feel also has the feel of the movie when you look at it or use it? So if you were a propmaster for a sequal to Blade Runner what would you put in it?
Planta
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great thread Andy! that's quite interesting.
you know, i ALWAYS find plenty of objects that could have been part of the BR world, especially in Deckard's apartment. i'm not talking about furniture per se, but you know, those retrofuture/retrofitting 80's tech kind of stuff which Deck's apartment is filled of, and that we love so much. my eyes are always looking for those things. my dad was a pro photographer when i was a kid and my house was packed of '80s style tech otpical/photographic devices that looked so BR-ish. many years ago, just when i happened to dive into the BR world, i started picking and collecting all those kind of stuff, cause i really wanted to turn my room in sort of a Deck's apartment style room. let's see if i can still find those around my place and take some pics to share with you.

oh, while i was here in my office i took a couple shots of this entry videophone, which i call the Vidphon of course, to share with you.

i think it looks so BR, doesn't it? just imagine it in a dark deco room with roaming beams from outside... it's part of the office since the early '80s, when designer Giancarlo Piretti (who designed Zhora's coat rack, the Planta) established here. hope you like it.

(hopefully that's what you meant in your thread?)
sethb6025
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neat, very BR-esque. I have to look through some antiques & old misc stuff I've held onto for no reason. Maybe some of it subliminally reminds me of BR.
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since my friend Ryan and I started working on the fan film, there isn't a flea market, second hand store, or thirft shop that doesn't hold some sort of potential blade runneresque prop for us. It got to be a fun weekend hobby actually.

The last big buy was involving picking up materials (portable TV's, aircraft gauges, knobs, walkie talkies and stuff) to kitbash for the spinner set, and for us to make a working VK machine. Which is how I ended up with these:

They all work too. Smile

And this thing . . .

Was destined to get ripped apart and become a spinner pilots headgear. Still might some day! Smile

Quote:
great thread Andy!

Here here!!

NJC------------------
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool stuff, I have that same Tank drivers helmet (also missing the armor plate)...one of your TV's looks like the one used for the Alien motion tracker.
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, the ranger Tv was kitbashed to hell and back to make it an Alien tracker. Ryan bought one later and gutted it, I think with the intention of converting it to that prop, but it ended up being somehting else, he put lights and stuff inside it.

Mine still works great as a B&W TV. Smile

The TV on the other end of the photo, the one standing up that we only see the side of, that WAS in the film. It's the pop-up TV that's mounted upside in his bathroom.

Njc----------------------------------
sethb6025
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the BR influence might be one of the reasons I like this camera so much. I can envision it on the piano with the opium duck and old photos. Maybe this could have been the camera to take some of the old sepia pictures.

Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love old cameras. That's very cool, and I agree, could easily have been in the film.
Jedirick
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a lot of estate auctions in the early late 70's early 80's. You guys can't imagine the stuff I sold or bought and resold that would fit right in Deckards apartment or most any other location. Tons of Art deco, Depression, Empire, Duncan Fife, for pennies on the dollar.

I know I sold saturn lamps as well as Dazor saucers, oriental furnishings..
makes me sick to think about it.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one of the true hidden benefits of the BR Aesthetic, is that you can decorate your house with it and most girls won't think you to be an "odd nerd" and wives often like it as much as their husbands. At least up untill they see the prop display with 20 odd BR gun replicas Wink
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a couple things from my stuff...

Planta
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noeland wrote:

WOW Noe!!! these are great! especially those at far right! can you please take a pic of the bathroom pop-up tv?
Jedirick
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy wrote:
one of the true hidden benefits of the BR Aesthetic, is that you can decorate your house with it and most girls won't think you to be an "odd nerd" and wives often like it as much as their husbands. At least up untill they see the prop display with 20 odd BR gun replicas Wink

HEY!

Always wanted to use that smilie!

And you are correct about the decor. There are cheap trashy outdated imitations in any era, but the art influence in Blade Runner gave us items that esthetically stand the test of time in excellent form.
Mr_Creepy
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of years ago when I was buying my accurate shot glasses, I found these on eBay and fell in love--put a decent sized bid on them, but lost the auction Sad

I always thought they looked liked something Tyrell might have used Wink

sethb6025
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those shot glasses are awesome!
nickdaring
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a stunning design!

How much did they end up going for?

Nick
Mr_Creepy
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't recall what they ended up selling at--I *think* my bid was maybe $25 or so. The auction ended while I was at work, so I wasn't in a position to snipe...

This was around the same time I won an auction for a "correct" shotglass set (with the pump bottle that had the tray fitting over it) for less than $20!

edit - after reading Seth's post about his eBay win, it looks like the set I won is from the innards of a bowling ball set--not sure how good a deal I got.... Rolling Eyes Laughing
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

check here for for more info on the shot glasses and pump variations.
Jedirick
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nwever should a split this of intio a seperate forum. You guys are in trouble now. I gotta list of asthetics that if all put up for auction, would crash ebay servers! Very Happy
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking about making it an entire thread topic by itself ...if you all think that is a good idea, I will see if we can get Amish to open it up for use and move these threads there?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Aesthetic All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: