FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
The Invaders TV Series Alien Weapon Props/Replicas

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PKD_Fan

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 11:55 pm    Post subject: The Invaders TV Series Alien Weapon Props/Replicas Reply with quote

I didn`t get the results I was looking for on any searches so I hope this topic hasn`t been posted recently.(If so I apologize.)

I`ve always thought the original Quin Martin series from the 1960s was some good stuff and after re-watching the entire two season run earlier this year was left scratching my head and asking myself: "Does/has any company or group ever put out a prop-quality replica/collector piece(s) of those very,very cool looking(imho),multi-angled/planed alien energy weapons? There were two different handgun models used in the actual series:the earlier one was larger,more boxy-looking,and had a small vidscreen/scanner flush mounted on the top of the gun.This big boy was superceded by a smaller and slimmer version that had more of a recognizable pistol/gun profile.I believe there was also a larger long gun version of the aliens` energy weapon(ala rifle)but am not 100% sure.However I am sure about seeing a heavy-duty,industrial sized version that was on a tripod(also with vidscreen/scanner flush mounted to top).This was in the episode "The Saucer".

Does anyone have more information about either The Invaders props,replicas,models or kits? I`ve never seen these classics reproduced or even done as fan-hobbyist projects.Thanks in advance for any information you can give me.

Cheers!
PKD_Fan

p.s. very,very cool site Propsummit People! =)
PKD_Fan

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit of insommniac Google searching and...Viola!...I at least found some decent images of some of the "vaporizing gun(s)" used in The Invaders television series. Here`s a few links in case anyone is interested.

http://www.therpf.com/f9/invaders-anyone-done-any-props-82682/

http://www.therpf.com/attachments/f9/invaders-anyone-done-any-props-invaders-pistol-weapons.jpg-23455d1270091925

http://www.therpf.com/f9/invaders-anyone-done-any-props-82682/

http://www.yourprops.com/2nd-season-Vaporizer-Gun-other-replicas-movie-props-Invaders--The--TV---1967--prop-10306.html

http://invaderstech.atspace.com/en_disintegrator.htm
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard PKD fan...yes, the Invaders (brings back a lot of childhood memories )...never saw those weapons before made in the real world; good luck with your search. Wink
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to propsummit PKD_fan. As much as I loved all Sci-Fi as a kid I never got to see this one. I might have to check to see if it is on Netflix. I also always wanted to see the Prisoner, and never did. Thank you for introducing this one to those of us that know nothing about it.

Andy
PKD_Fan

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I`m glad you guys got to feel some old-fashioned-60s-saucer-paranoia ala The Invaders QM Television Series via my thread.

Andy,you should rent or purchase the 2 season INVADERS series if you enjoy science fiction and/or vintage/classic television.I`m pretty sure Netflix has them.For a mid 1960s tv series,Invaders had some really high production values and featured weekly guest stars (usually early on in their careers) such as:Gene Hackman,Sally Kellerman,Jack Lord,Ed Asner,Michael Rennie,William Windam,Suzanne Pleshette and Roddy McDowell to name a few.

The Invaders was kind of a cross between science fiction and drama so it was not as endearing to the teenage and under audience. I envy you watching the series for the 1st time.It`s easy to get wrapped up in,has as LEAST one tightly coreographed fight scene per episode and is well acted.The SFX are still cool and fun to watch and end up "working" better than one would think for this 45yr old ABC network tv series.

...can you tell I`m a rather big fan? Razz

P.S. they have some pretty "neat-o" alien props too!

PKD_Fan
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well PKD, I wouldn't say that Michael Rennie was a debutant in the Invaders, actually he was Klaatu in the 1951 movie " The day the Earth stood still"...yes sir, the original one with Patricia Neal. Talk about flying saucer and robot : a classic of Sci-Fi. That's why the producers of the T.V. show wanted him to play an Alien in the Invaders. Also Ed Begley played a role in one of the episode if my memory serves me well.
Roy Thinnes, the lead, hasn't done anything since 2007 Crying or Very sad
PKD_Fan

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My apologies,joberg,I realize that Micheal Rennie is virtually the "Grand Old Man" of hollywood sci-fi/alien movies...He just kind of got lumped in there with the other "kids". MR was in two seprate Invaders episodes(well 3 if you count Summit Meeting`s being a 2 parter).Not sure of the title but...it is the one where they break out that old "Good Invader,Bad Invader" tactic. lol

Wonder why Roy Thinnes so literally dried up after his short-lived series?He is a capable enough actor.What movies was he in? HERE TO ETERNITY or another WWII Pacific one...

I think Roy Thinnes also had a cameo(read thrown a bone) in the anemic 1990s INVADERS MINI-SERIES (John Boy as David Vincent???? NOT!),and a larger bit part (read "you owe me one,Murry!) in the (late 80s/early 90s?) tv remake of DARK SHADOWS(starring Ben Cross as Barnabus Collins).

Thanks for the feedback,fellas.
PKD_Fan
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last role for Mr. Thinnes was in Broken English (Writer/Director: Zoe Cassavetes)...I loved his role in the "Hindenburg", one of those big "catastrophe" movie of the '70s and '80s.
TM
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a wonderfully bleak TV series! Looking forward to getting the DVD's to see if it is as good as I remember.

Tony
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Non Blade Runner Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: