FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Need some advice on bleaching paper...........

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Need some advice on bleaching paper........... Reply with quote

I`ve been collaborating on a project which is also my all time most wanted prop replica so want to go to the whole nine yards with it and at this point, need some advice.

I need to reprint the entire cover from a 60`s Time Magazine. Rather than just use as close as paper as possible, would like to use the real thing and bleach the original cover.
Has anyone tried something similar themselves? Bleaching would be just half the problem Im guessing as the bleached paper would have to be dried without falling apart.

Probably a task best meant for a Document Conservator but thought Id give the community a crack first.

Cheers in advance.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would need to bleach down to the full depth of the ink. Kind of like having a tattoo removed. The color loss most magazines get from sunlight is because the inks themselves break down from exposure to the ultraviolet light. All except Cyan anyway. That is why so many old posters look blue. The light also makes the paper turn yellow and brittle of course. Using liquid on the paper to bleach too would likely deform it and over an amount of time turn it back into pulp.

I think another idea might be to just research the kind of stock they used and see if it is still produced and if old dead stock may be available at a local printers or online warehouse. If you call the actual printing company and say you are doing research for a school project they will probably help you out even if you are well out of school age Wink. You could also be honest about it too, and will still likely get someone who just wants to talk about the old days. Especially if you search out the senior staff.

Andy
Skin-Job
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another approach is to photoshop a scan of the original cover and artwork it digitally.
It's fairly basic to desaturate colours. You can even add corner tatters and scuffs and scratches if needed.

Then simply print out the cover pre-faded and aged.
I've used this approach to make filming props in the past. Works well, but the result will only be as good as the artwork.

if you want a totally realistic prop, then just desaturate and fade the colours, then print out and add scuffs and tatters to the printed paper.

Karl
Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips guys.

It wouldn't be hard for me to shoot off an email to Time and ask about the old stock, nice one Andy.

I already have the new custom front and back artwork on file Karl, just need to wipe an original cover clean so to speak and reprint the custom cover.
Its the Kurtz Time magazine front and back cover. Can you tell me more about desaturating the colours?
Skin-Job
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm most familiar with Photoshop.

Open the image you want to alter in Photoshop

On the top toolbar is a button marked 'Image', click on it.
On the drop down menu you'll find 'Adjustments', click on that.
In 'Adjustments' you'll find:

Color Balance

Brightness/Contrast

Hue/Saturation.

Play with these three control sets until you get the effect you desire. There's no real tutorial, just have a play.

Karl
Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips Karl but I don't need to edit an image rather get advice on bleaching an old Time magazine cover and replacing it with another, custom cover/image.
I think ive found some appropriate blank paper since the first post so may be all good.

Cheers.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the sound of that project Tim...would be interested to see what you're going to come with Wink
Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not my project J, myself and a mate Stu (stromo) are helping out trying to finish it off with its creator. It is my dream prop of all time though, just ahead of that VK machine of yours.
Cant say much yet but its accurate and detailed right down to the wax seals.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a great prop if it's ahead of the V.K.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: