FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Design Thread: Nostromo interiors and deck configurations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 25, 26, 27  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion related to Alien
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cold Canuck
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, again.

joberg wrote:

If you were part of a crew, being paid for a certain job (hauling minerals/goods), knowing from the get-go that your Cryo-Sleep could be interrupted (elongating your voyage, thus your home/base return) for a signal of some kind/new planets exploration, would you sign-up?

On that topic, I always thought it questionable to have one of the crew be a single parent of a young child...I mean, who in their right mind would leave their child behind, allowing her to be brought up by someone else for extended periods losing any experiences that the child might have.
Space Jockey
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha, I'm no maestro....I think somewhere on this thread I said I just wanted a good blueprint pic to put on the wall. I think that is the terrifying part of being an artist doing this kind of work is that unless you are an artist-quantum physicist-NASA engineer one is never going to make one's work able to be looked upon in such a detailed way and hold up.

Having said that - it's all good, I enjoy the read even I don't pretend to have any clue what you all are talking about. I will say that I have already drawn up the Engine Rm to be pretty much level with B' deck because of the relationship to how it overlooks the large chamber as you describe. I am thinking of the Decks more as 'zones', multi-level. Has to be otherwise it ain't gonna work (those of you that have seen my A-Deck representation may follow what I'm talking about here). But that is what I'm good at I think, taking it and making it look plausible even though it probably isn't (lol!). Movie magic, right?

Best,
SJ
FenGiddel
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cold Canuck wrote:
Hello, again.

joberg wrote:

If you were part of a crew, being paid for a certain job (hauling minerals/goods), knowing from the get-go that your Cryo-Sleep could be interrupted (elongating your voyage, thus your home/base return) for a signal of some kind/new planets exploration, would you sign-up?

On that topic, I always thought it questionable to have one of the crew be a single parent of a young child...I mean, who in their right mind would leave their child behind, allowing her to be brought up by someone else for extended periods losing any experiences that the child might have.

Quite right, Cold Canuck.

Ripley's hard choices --- vis-a-vis the aftermath of the inquisition in Aliens --- might shed some light on this hard reality for working-class folks living in the 22nd Century. Ripley is apparently very intelligent and capable of assessing the pros and cons of her career choice, yet signs up anyway. A line of thought well worthy of exploration. Keep up the good work, CC! Smile
FenGiddel
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Space Jockey wrote:
Ha, I'm no maestro....I think somewhere on this thread I said I just wanted a good blueprint pic to put on the wall. I think that is the terrifying part of being an artist doing this kind of work is that unless you are an artist-quantum physicist-NASA engineer one is never going to make one's work able to be looked upon in such a detailed way and hold up.

Having said that - it's all good, I enjoy the read even I don't pretend to have any clue what you all are talking about. I will say that I have already drawn up the Engine Rm to be pretty much level with B' deck because of the relationship to how it overlooks the large chamber as you describe. I am thinking of the Decks more as 'zones', multi-level. Has to be otherwise it ain't gonna work (those of you that have seen my A-Deck representation may follow what I'm talking about here). But that is what I'm good at I think, taking it and making it look plausible even though it probably isn't (lol!). Movie magic, right?

Best,
SJ

Forgive the hyperbole, but given my humble scratchings-about with blueprints, what you've done is pretty dang cool.

I don't think Nostromo will ever stand up to scrutiny...it was made to look like a haunted house in space.

For example, she'd never make safe landfall with all those sensor booms intact...they'd burn up without fantastic force shields for protection...or maybe a loooooong planetfall on some kind of Dune-ish repulsorlift.

But I don't care...just as long as we don't have to resort to magical explanations (and that line might be more fluid than I want to admit), we will get there.

I am looking forward to any of your work that may see the light of day. You pulled a rabbit out of the hat with the APC motor drive solution and have been recognized for that by your peers, after all, buddy! Wink
FenGiddel
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To help us all remember where we left off with this conversation, here's the link to the FAQ I assembled.

The Nostromo Interior Design Project

Happy to consider any changes in the organization of it. It continues to evolve and currently I am compiling everything I have on the ship, from here as well as other sources.

Cheers!
FenGiddel
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joberg wrote:
Got it Vader; you mean to say that, since the ship of the future will be too particular and specialized (that is designed for one purpose and nothing else) it would make no sense to try to do a retro-fitting job.

The question I have is: what if Weyland made sure that their "Tug Boats" were actually retro-fitted war ships capable of investigating any "interesting signals" coming from far-away worlds and to be diverted to said world?
Engine capacity to enter any kind of atmosphere and pulling out of it also (without burning/destroying engines in the process)...
What about all these different vehicules into Nostromo's belly, if not for some kind of dual purpose(mining, exploration)?

Joberg,

To keep myself from drawing any more graphics with pink turbines, I thought I'd come back to your point about the military ships.

Could you clarify? Are you saying "military ship" meaning a tougher ship able to handle more unknowns, than say a tug or other commercial carrier not hardened for such encounters?

Or something else I am missing? Sorry to be so dense, but I don't want to miss out on your details, buddy. Smile
Starrigger
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, people, in the hope that this will further the cause...

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model.html?id=5a7e686e-bae6-4d6c-8a4b-e111b050c26d

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model.html?id=b58bf43c-47b1-4a59-b17a-065dd55af62c

Those are the Nostromo Sketchup and Bridge Sketchup models for your enjoyment and discussion fodder...

It has been awhile since I worked on them, but they are as close to accurate as I could get them.

Steve
Cold Canuck
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Veeeery nicely done :-]

I was a little surprised to see you didn't use components to cut down on file size though.

With the ship sharing so many similarities from port to starboard, it's ripe for components to help.

Nicely detailed :-]
Starrigger
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cold Canuck wrote:
Veeeery nicely done :-]

I was a little surprised to see you didn't use components to cut down on file size though.

With the ship sharing so many similarities from port to starboard, it's ripe for components to help.

Nicely detailed :-]

When I first put it together I had it all components but I wound up exploding it all when I exported it as a OBJ file. ( All the exporters I could find had issues exporting the nested components)
Cold Canuck
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mind if I give it a try?
Starrigger
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cold Canuck wrote:
Mind if I give it a try?

You are more then welcome to use these models in any way you see fit.
Cold Canuck
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like that bridge
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FenGiddel86 as you know, in space, you don't need a lot of power to push/pull something. As long as the initial inertia has been produced by the "Pull Ship" (Nostromo in this instance), the whole will start to move and even accelerate over time without any imput from the engines.

So, seeing these engines on Nostromo, one has to ask himself as to why they seemed, somewhat, too big for a tug. (we're not talking sea-tug...not the same physics involved here on Earth).

That's what I'm saying: seems like a souped-up ship made to do some more serious stuff than just pulling a refinery...who knows, maybe Weyland-Yutani has a entire fleet made out of these kind of ships Wink
FenGiddel
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joberg wrote:
FenGiddel86 as you know, in space, you don't need a lot of power to push/pull something. As long as the initial inertia has been produced by the "Pull Ship" (Nostromo in this instance), the whole will start to move and even accelerate over time without any imput from the engines.

I agree. And that ain't the only contrary bit: why would the refinery need to be so horizontally oriented? There was some early production art that showed the refinery as a modified asteroid, with stuff poking out at all angles. I can understand Nostromo's horizontal orientation, given that it does land in a gravity well. But the refinery probably doesn't, but, we're kinda stuck with it.

I used to think that maybe the Nostromo had room with which to tote the ore up to the refinery, making the umbilical possibly a means also to transfer the stuff.

Of course, as you've noted, big engines suggest a big job to do. The engine bells plug into the refinery in such a way as to suggest they channel through the bells in the refinery's aft inset section.

from Martin Bowers' website, an engine bell plug-in on the refinery's forward section, beneath the umbilical platform:

Again from Bowers' page, the trio of plug-ins:

Bowers' photo of the refinery's aft inset section:

Here's a shot of John Bednar's Alien Refinery kit, making it a little easier to see for any newbies who don't know what I am talking about:

(See more pics of this beauty at Modeler Magic)

To further stir this pot, let me say I used to wonder if the entire Refinery/tug unit didn't rotate to decelerate since there do not appear to be forward thrusters with the same ability as those tucked in aft. What a pirouette that would be to see!

Joberg, if I am understanding you correctly, you are suggesting that the Nostromo (and her sister ships possibly) may have served in a previous life as something other than a tug, but was pressed into that service given she had more than enough "moxie" (over-engineered engines, for example) to fill the bill.

I don't think you're saying a ship of lesser structural ability would be converted to a tug.

And, Vader, I think that might be what essentially you were getting at: the ship, regardless of its origins, would have to have the basic structural capacity to "pull" the refinery. Otherwise, stripping it down to shore up its skeleton would be probably be cost-prohibitive to say the least.

Heck, maybe some Third-World world military sold off its old ships and they were beefy enough to handle the W-Y bill.

(How am I doing, guys?) Embarassed
FenGiddel
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starrigger wrote:
OK, people, in the hope that this will further the cause...

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model.html?id=5a7e686e-bae6-4d6c-8a4b-e111b050c26d

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model.html?id=b58bf43c-47b1-4a59-b17a-065dd55af62c

Those are the Nostromo Sketchup and Bridge Sketchup models for your enjoyment and discussion fodder...

It has been awhile since I worked on them, but they are as close to accurate as I could get them.

Steve

Welcome, "Starrigger" Steve!

Man, it's good to see that Starrigger Skyway avatar back in the mix...and those SketchUps ain't too shabby either! Very Happy

Just being able to rotate the Nostromo and its bridge to see them from any angle is awesome in itself...that you'll be giving us your input is awesome.
FenGiddel
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vader: before I get lost in some planetoid sketches again, I would love to find out more about your ideas on the nacelles and their innards. Have you any solid vision of how everything fits into that monstrosity of a cracker box?
Very Happy
Space Jockey
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These models are superb, Steve. The Nostromo ship especially. The overall geometry looks spot-on....well done indeed. I like SketchUp, I find it really easy and quick to use; I've not really had time to sit down and learn any others yet. You've inspired me, I'm all fired up to work on deckplans, now. I'd like to model some key elements (Garage, Infirmary/Autodoc, Mess etc)

I started blocking out A-Deck a while back, but left it to model up a few other Aliens-related things. A-Deck is nowhere near as developed as the Bridge you have here. About the same time, I got part-way through the underside module too.

[/img]
Starrigger
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Space Jockey wrote:
These models are superb, Steve. The Nostromo ship especially. The overall geometry looks spot-on....well done indeed.

Well thanks, but I have to give credit where credit is due, When I reworked my original Nostromo (what I mean to say is I scrapped the original all together. ) I based this one of your AWESOME blueprints and the images I could find on the internet.

Your deck "A" looks beautiful!

I think I saw a version by Cold Canuck out on the Warehouse as well..
Cold Canuck
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The screen cap I took of my WIP should still be in the forms somewhere.
I'll take a look when I get a moment.
Cold Canuck
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sketchup model is here:
https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model.html?id=71a30677-4ec3-4079-835e-292174211f91
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion related to Alien All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 15 of 27

Jump to: