FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Design Thread: Nostromo interiors and deck configurations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 25, 26, 27  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion related to Alien
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FenGiddel
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely stuff, guys!

I wonder why the folks at Alien: Isolation chose to truncate the ladders? Maybe had something to do with clear lines of sight in gameplay?

as opposed to:

joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FenGiddel86...I think you understood what I was trying to say; Nostromo was not built as a tug. I mean, besides the big power coming from those engines, you got to think, also, at the bridge configuration.

Lot's of instruments on that baby Shocked and it takes the whole crew to pilot that sucker!! Yep, not your regular tug alright Wink
FenGiddel
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotcha, joberg.

I have to imagine that anyone building a ship that size would make it as general-purpose as possible, building into it the capacity to handle a range of heavy-lift duties it might be pressed into.
FenGiddel
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starrigger wrote:
OK, people, in the hope that this will further the cause...

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model.html?id=5a7e686e-bae6-4d6c-8a4b-e111b050c26d

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model.html?id=b58bf43c-47b1-4a59-b17a-065dd55af62c

Those are the Nostromo Sketchup and Bridge Sketchup models for your enjoyment and discussion fodder...

It has been awhile since I worked on them, but they are as close to accurate as I could get them.

Steve

And to celebrate this occasion, I want to share Steve's 'Nostromo turntable' video with the group --- in case anyone hasn't seen it --- for inspiration as we move forward.

Great work, Steve!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUp5V7ihXjY
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful work Steve Cool
Space Jockey
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff Steve

One thing that is eye-opening on C-Deck is just trying to count all the different times we see a 'garage'. There is the big one that Brett walks through leading to the undercarriage room. But whenever there is a garage viewed in any other scene, what is in the garage, or the way the corridor looks outside, is different.

We all know it's the same set with different things moved around such as the survey equipment and whether or not a ladderway is outside for instance. But noting all these instances - and then making the assumption that all garages are the same size - will not work. There is not enough room within the confines of the hull and corridors. So it seems logical that the 'other' garages be of different sizes. And by really drawing a line between what we seen 'in the shot' and 'how we know it was built' gives some opportunities to explore the different shapes of these other garages and how they fit in with the whole space-planning exercise.
FenGiddel
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice way to blend the "seen" with the "implied", Space Jockey.

I have asked Adam Savage-Hill, a friend who has done a lot of work studying the set plans, to offer any helpful input he might have. Adam is a staunch believer that the set plans don't work for deck plans since they, in the main, don't match the model.

Check out his Photostream at Flickr
Ads1066
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject: Nostromo Garage/Deck & Studio plans Reply with quote

It's been a while since i was last here and Darrell has invited me to add input to this thread. As he has already said it is very difficult to reconcile Sound stage floor plans with a scale model of a spaceship for a whole variety of reasons--in our case with ALIEN it was a case of Brian Johnson doing a raid into Cobb's office at Shepperton, scuttling back off to Bray and construct scale models that more or less corresponded with the floor plans, coupled with the old studio magic of perspective and economical re-use of the various sets (Mess Room into Main Airlock/Shuttle Lock Vestibule, Hypersleep Chamber into a Ladder Junction, Auto Doc into Engine Room etc...) of which we are all familiar with. Building scale models of the corridor sets and rooms means you could build a multi-decked (Its not made really clear how many decks the Nostromo actually had only alluded to, for all we know it could have had A,B,C,D,E and so on!!) scale interior model of the Nostromo and only then a partial construction as we would have to marry that with its external shape and jump into the world of fantasy and give up on perspective and practicality. five soundstages were used for the interior sets of the Derelict and Nostromo, so with that you'll have to kind of space out the studio interiors with how you suppose the Nostromo interior layout would be. The only concession i would agree with is more than one "Garage" bay as this type of chamber seems to be in line with the next-door Claw Room for each landing leg (there were three landing legs.) and there is scope for such a bay to be alongside each land leg chamber. The Garage Bay after exhaustive research and construction of a scale model indicated to me that it was smaller than i realised and perfectly square in layout right next door to the Claw Room--itself perfectly square too, with a section of C' Level corridor around one side of the edge of the Garage Bay (and a nice big mirror at one end for forced perspective view as well as masking Giger's creature workshop!) so this would lend opportunity for a very similar layout for the other Two Landing Leg chambers elsewhere. I hope my observations warrant further thought and speculation about a very intruiging subject concerning the Nostromo interiors. [/b]
Ads1066
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another couple of things i have noted before concerning the deck layout in relation to the studio set layout is one deleted scene immediately after Kane wakes up and is seen walking down a corridor into the mess room, he plays with the overhead monitor controls and then proceeds to the commissary to brew up the coffee, of interest is you don't actually see Kane appear around the corner into a corridor junction before walking down to the mess room....Another deleted scene is immediately after Kane's death the crew assemble back into a (very much-cleaned up) mess room to discuss ways on how to deal with The Alien, after a lively debate and a plan is agreed on, Brett and Parker both jog up the earlier-mentioned corridor and take a left turn toward as we would know the location of the Hypersleep Chamber--here is an example that we COULD cancel out in terms of non-reality that on that left turn isn't a Hypersleep Chamber but another corridor leading to another junction and one of which is a short passageway to the Hypersleep Chamber and we COULD assume Parker and Brett used the unseen junction as a quicker way below decks to their engineering room, as we--in the movie--do not actually see where the Hypersleep Chamber is actually located, immediately after Mother recieves and digests the Distress Call, a corridor is blinking into light and the camera slowly moves along toward the doorway of the Hypersleep Chamber....Food for thought, guys.
Starrigger
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, thoughts...

Engine room won't fit in this orientation (even if you take into account perspective):

Engine room could fit in this orientation in either the main hull or as twins in the Nacelles... (With the exception on the landing leg bays...)

thoughts? (Sorry for blowing out the margins..)
Ads1066
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A perfect example Starrigger showing a possible location of the exterior of the engineener's room we see toward the movie's climax. I have always been totally mystified where about on the Nostromo externally this location! the 1st photograph shown is the final model built at Bray, the earlier external model is even more baffling as it showed the engineering room twin windows and a double row of columns built infront of the room module. (later these columns were used as secondary engine nascelles at the rear of the Nostromo.) this model shot we see makes the Nostromo much much bigger than we assumed and originally way back when i 1st watched ALIEN i assumed the engineering room was somewhat located in the Refinery as some sort of umbilical access corridor lead from the Nostromo? this is how i have always perceived marrying the studio sets to the scale model of the Nostromo futile and a classic example of cinematography playing its fantasy tricks upon us!
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ads1066, right you are and the thought occurred to me too. What if that engineering room was, somewhat, located inside the refinery?
Looking at the movie (and cut scenes) I don't see it at all. There would be, then, some kind of access hatch/ladder/elevator going up to the main refinery right?

If you want to blow the whole thing, then maybe, that main room has to be in the main refinery. I'm sure that the Nostromo is too small to blow the whole thing up, right?

I'm confused right now...I need an extra coffee
Confused
Cold Canuck
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If memory serves, there were a few distinct explosions during the Nostromo's death throes...that to me would indicate that more than one vessel's core was involved...perhaps in a daisy-chain effect. One core explosion setting off another....I don't know, but it sounds plausible to me.
Ads1066
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol--Coffee, only good thing on this ship. The only fly-in-the-ointment to my initial supposition about the engineer's room being on board the refinery is you clearly see the room when Parker & Brett have a pop quiz with Dallas immediately after they landed on the planetoid about the condition of the ship and repair time. the smallness of the room in comparison to the external model shot of the vastness of the location and no possible clue where in relation it would be located positively--hence my initial argument that you cannot really in ALIEN sensibly marry the external model shots to the interior studio sets.

We could easily surmise that there would be likely a communications lock along with various cabling etc (note satellite dishes and antennae on the refinery..) giving access to the vast refinery perhaps in relation to routine maintenance etc again this isn't really alluded to in the movie. the scuttle detonation would follow a standard warship procedure of basically witholding engine coolant which would seize up the main drive subsequently creating massive metal fatigue and high temperatures to cause a irreversable reactor collapse which in turn would eventually explode which would then easily detonate the rest of the ship setting off finally the volatile refinery--KA-BOOM. though in reality in Outer Space the explosion would be very if at all brief in a vacuum and would most likely implode than a spectacular mega-ton explosion.
Space Jockey
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First pass...I think the large cavern space will be okay. I mean it's big, but maybe it ain't that big.

You can see where the Engine Rm is likely to fall, pretty much in alignment with A-Deck surprisingly.

I agree with the daisy-chain effect Cold Canuck suggested and that the refinery has it's own decks, layout. Thought Alien Isolation and how the refinery Engineering levels on Sevastopol were depicted very well, maybe it'd look similar.

Refinery is probably like a large oil rig, able to have it's own living and work space and pushed / pulled around place to place.

FenGiddel
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exclamation

Last edited by FenGiddel on Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely, marvi,
Space Jockey
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy, I sure killed this conversation...! Suddenly quiet in here.
FenGiddel
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

Last edited by FenGiddel on Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
retrogarde
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham, do the retractable back landing legs conflict with your engine room placement, or would this all fit between them? And where is the Narcissus docked in this diagram?

There's no way to no to have a lot of dead space inside this ship. Even with multiple garages there's a lot of unaccounted for room. Filling it becomes tricky as you can't introduce elements that countermine the plot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion related to Alien All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 16 of 27

Jump to: