FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
A New Magnum Blaster
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaveG
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:42 pm    Post subject: A New Magnum Blaster Reply with quote

While work on the fabrication of the Snub Nose Blaster is "on hiatus" I've started designing my next concept blaster, the .50 caliber Magnum! The basis for the gun is Smith & Wesson's massive X-Frame .50 cal revolver.

This will be a weapon licensed for military Offworld use only (or perhaps for hunting big game in the Outer Colonies!)

Here is a preliminary illustration showing the Magnum in the center, along with the Standard blaster on top and my Snub Nose Blaster on the bottom. The Snubbie measures just under 6 1/2" long, the Standard Blaster just over 9 1/2. In comparison the Magnum comes in at a whopping 12 1/4" from butt to muzzle!

The barrel extends a little further in proportion to allow for external threading to accept a silencer. I am also planning a stereographic, video targeting scope.

"I just want to say people... Get A Life! Move out of your parent's basement! It's just a movie!"
Daddy Solo
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here we go again!! Now I have more to drool over Shocked Shocked Shocked
nonner242
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet Jesus! Now we need a shotgun Blaster!
Staar
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unstoppable ----

You and this blaster mate!

Highest regards

MARK

The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nonner242 wrote:
Sweet Jesus! Now we need a shotgun Blaster!

That magnum looks sweet, serious hand cannon that one.

As for shotguns: http://propsummit.com/viewtopic.php?t=2621&highlight=shotgun Haven't had a chance to actually build it, but its been on the mind.

"We began to recognize in them a strange obsession..."

http://fcomin.cgsociety.org/gallery/
cratercritter
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking pretty cool DaveG.

The magnum looks slightly "front heavy" because it is so long. How about trying a larger grip size (longer) with a butt-plate style end to it... a bit stylized so it looks different to the standard blaster. OR.. same grip shape you showed on your magnum, but with a butt-plate fixed to the end of the handle with slightly different shape to the standard blaster's butt-plate (?). Although the steyr ammo clip is elongated, make it slightly chunkier at the base to fit 5mm LEDs instead of the standard 3mm diameter LEDs (?) or slight change to the shape of the ammo clip housing to indicate magnum apart from being longer (?). From the drawing, looks like it will be able to fit bigger LEDs anyway which would be cool.
Also... has two round "knobs" on the magnum... looks cool! Hmmm... how about one oversized round knob instead of the two (?).... although two round knobs looks cool in that it is distinctive!.
...Just throwing around a few ideas while it is at the 'two-dimensional' stage. Cool
Staar
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cratercritter wrote:
The magnum looks slightly "front heavy" because it is so long. )

I'm not sure I agree with you re the proportions but I do agree about adding a buttplate.

When I handled one of these ridiculous beauties, the overall impression (for me at any rate) was the bulk of the upper portion of the firearm. I have large hands and although the grip looked small visually, it was a decent fit in my palm. Personally, I like the idea that this is heavy on the business end, but in terms of creating balance I think your idea for the plate is a very good one because it will certainly add visual weight to the lower extremities at the back..

I have to admit that its great fun seeing this type of piece develop because we all have such personal ideas about what we would like to see. I'm not sure about the two weavers but recognise that this certainly needs something below the top knob.

Rock on!

Cheers

MARK

DaveG
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you guys are so excited! I certainly am. The design is in the very early stages and will no doubt evolve. Please weigh in with suggestions, likes or dislikes. No guarantee that I'll listen but...

Several things that had been mentioned had also crossed my mind. The shape of the grip needs a lot of development, most of that will have to wait until I get back to my shop as I want to cut out and rough sculpt the shape to know that it feels right, like I did with the Snubby. I didn't draw a butt plate but the more I think about it, the more it needs one. It's just one of the very distinctive features on the original, especially the angle. But I do want something slightly different than the plate on the original.

The extra Weaver knob was just a cut and paste. I will do some sort of additional control below the regular Weaver knob but it is likely to look different and be a different size, and probably be set back a bit.

The receiver, barrel, Steyr clip housing, bolt lever, etc. are all scaled up about 14% from the hero. I've also elongated the receiver and lengthened the curved portion slightly. The triggers and guard are the same size as the original. Again, as with the Snubby, I don't want it to just look like a scaled up version of the hero. I want this blaster to feel more muscular so I'll be curving out some of the flatter surfaces or straight lined edges, especially on the Steyr clip housing. Not a lot, but a subtle style change.

The design actually started in 3D, scaling up some of the parts I had already modeled for the Snub Nose. Then to 2D to refine the profiles, then back. Back and forth, back and forth. It's never too late to modify something just because it's modeled in 3D.

As to a shotgun blaster... I have played around a little with the idea. The only problem is the cost of 3D printing and molds for such a large piece. It would be a pretty expensive kit. I'll have to see how well the Snubby and Magnum sell first, then, who knows...

"I just want to say people... Get A Life! Move out of your parent's basement! It's just a movie!"
Mr_Creepy
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great looking designs, both this and the snubby.

How about having provisions for mounting a shoulder stock? Several of the Civil War and Old West era revolvers had this option (see Leone's A FEW DOLLARS MORE for Lee Van Cleef's use of one!). I doubt it could be fully functional; I have no clue if resin would stand up to the stress & weight without some sort of internal bracing.

My thinking is that "just knowing" it could be turned into a carbine would add to the "bigbadassness" of a magnum. Laughing
panaflex
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to have to get another job...
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the idea of a big bore blaster! The duel knobs on the side is cool.

My suggestions, position the entire top portion a little further back and move the bolt handle back so it's between the triggers, or at least over the front trigger. Let the top lines of the grip match the side cover more closely as it does on the standard issue model. Create a bigger/heavier/different binding post. That just looks tiny amongst the massive design.

Whatever design options you go with, I look forward to seeing the prototype take shape.

Bwood
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Dave, you asked. Myself, I would prefer keeping it short but more stout. The elongated design just looks like an elongated blaster, indicating greater range perhaps, but no outward signs of a larger payload. The longer design would also be much more cumbersome to handle and harder to conceal - not much use to a detective. Larger (circumference) barrel with a larger bore, larger cylinder with redesigned covers (to handle a more powerful blast). Extra knobs would not be necessary since the basic functions are the same, but instead replace them with a lever for a quick clip release. Anything else you could imagine that would make it look "beefier" would be great, but I don't think longer is the way to go. It just kind of looks front heavy now.
Only my 2¢ of course ….
hirohawa
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great!

I love the idea of a longer blaster.

HAving said that I do feel that the length of the side covers for the extended cylinder looks off. I think the way the trigger guard, ammo housing and side cover all intersect on the original create the best design unity.

I think it should be more about the barrel length than the cylinder length. As I think the ammo housing and Steyr receiver do look really great lengthened. Also as another member suggested making everything thicker works as well but you seem to have addressed that as well.

If you are going for the longer cylinder cover I would suggest lengthening the trigger guard and also making the Steyr cocking lever/handle wider.

Already addressed but I agree it definitely needs a butt plate.
The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 0.02 cents would be to make the side covers big enough to cover the cylinder but not much bigger or longer than they need to be. The barrel length, and the increased length of the steyr receiver sell the idea of it being a magnum. Besides, any time you have a gun with a barrel that long, it's going to be front heavy.

As for the buttplate... I'd say mock one up, but I do kind of like the look of just the grips without it. Kind of like what Rick did with the PKD II, gives it its own look. Another idea is if you're going with the classic side grips as opposed to a grip that covers the whole frame, is you could always put in a finger relief on the bottom of the grip frame while leaving the grips as they are. Kind of like what Cold Steel did on their AK-47 knife.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQz-6Ep2PB0pCGJW4NOQDC6_o60qvMQA-MzRh0svxh-5sPd-nLr

"We began to recognize in them a strange obsession..."

http://fcomin.cgsociety.org/gallery/
DaveG
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great ideas guys, keep 'em comin'! It's too bad I can't make it all things to all people. Hey, maybe I'll have to do more than one model! Shocked

A shoulder stock is a cool idea. Maybe someone can do that as part of a custom build up...

I'm pretty happy with the extended length combined with the larger bore and barrel it really screams "Canon!". It is a bit front heavy, but that's inherent with the Steyr clip housing being out there. Also this is a military issued weapon, not intended for use by Police. So concealed carry isn't a problem. I see it being carried low on the hip in one of those big tactical style holsters.

The grip outline on the drawing is from the left side grip, the right side one will conform to the bottom profile of the cover as the hero does.

The binding post shown was just a cut and paste. I am working on one that is bigger and of a unique design for this blaster.

I may play around with the idea of a clip release instead of the second Weaver know (good idea, thanks!). Especially in keeping with the military application. I see extended length clips in the future...

The trigger guard definitely needs extended a bit to balance out the bottom profile and to give enough clearance in front of the second trigger. The right and left side covers need a lot of work still. I did lay them out to be big enough to cover a 5 shot .50 cal cylinder, even though I don't enivision my blaster as having a cylinder, more of a reaction chamber of some type. But sizeing it based on a real S&W500 helps to ground the design in reality.

I love the look of the buttless grips Rick did on his PKD3 but I do agree the my magnum needs the butt plate to balance out the length. Maybe I'll do a buttless grip variation on my version of the standard blaster. Ooops, did I just say that!

hirohawa
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to your "standard" version as well.

I think you need to do some metal casting or since the CAD files already exist... CNC Aluminum run - just saying.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent stuff Dave (glad you took my suggestion of a "Magnum Blaster" ...I'm sure I wasn't the only one with that idea).
Others have chimed in with other good ideas to transform the original drawing. I think that it would be fun to play with the "3 red LED"design on the side of the Steyr clip instead of the 2 we have now (and by the same token extend that part to fit the better the long barrel).

Agreed on the butt plate stuff too: better balanced; as for the two knobs, maybe we should get rid of that design altogether and come up with a brand new one (maybe no knobs at all) since it's going to be Army only use...my 2 cents
DaveG
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a (very) slightly modified drawing. I've added the Buttplate to the grip, extended the trigger guard, and shortened the barrel to be in proportion to the standard blaster. For the silencer I'll either make a longer barrel with external threads or, more likely, use internal threads.

cratercritter
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks better with the butt plate shown on your drawing.
Single 'weaver knob' OK ...maybe make it bigger diameter or different styling (?)
Threaded barrel is pretty high-tech. With my kit plastic/metal guns I use
a low-tech, "easy way out" rare earth magnet inside the barrel to hold the silencers. Cool
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my cut & paste (no trigger guard...a la Robocop Wink ) of the gun and with the 3 LED on the side. The post under the barrel is aligned with the tip of the Steyr. I also moved the second trigger forward by 3 mm...and no weaver knob at all.

[url][/url]
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: