FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
New Syd Mead Interview

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:37 pm    Post subject: New Syd Mead Interview Reply with quote

http://www.shadowlocked.com/201108032045/interviews/exclusive-interview-blade-runner-futurist-syd-mead.html

Andy
TM
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great artist and character! I remember going to a lecture of his. Slide after slide. Then there was this one:

"Running of the Six Drgxx", 1983

Someone in the audience asked how long it took to do that one. Mead said something like "Oh, that was a hard one. Took three days." And you could hear the audience just moan. The concept of doing something that detailed, and that fast, was too much to bare.

It would be hard to imagine Blade Runner without Mead.

Tony
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got to meet Syd at a lecture at RIT a few years ago. Not too many people showed up, and since I got there early, I was able to hang with him and talk to him almost one on one for a while. He signed a few of my books and a magazine. Unfortunately I wasn't very prepared, and a little bit star struck, so I had a hard time thinking of things to ask him. My friend who came with me fortunately was also a big Mac person, and was able to keep him entertained while I thought of new questions. We even got to talk to him more afterward. I can only say that I hope to get to meet him again, and have better prepared questions the next time Very Happy

Andy
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you mean TM; a concept artist is supposed to whip up something fast to convey the Director's vision at any given moment...during those discussions and pre-prod meetings. Their hand is truly an extention of their brain and to see them work is always a wonder and a pleasure Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: