FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
another PDK resin kit build
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baron Von Blondle
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:03 pm    Post subject: another PDK resin kit build Reply with quote

So I'm in the same position as nonner242 having just taken receipt of one of the Australian reisn kits.

The start is much the same as he as already (most helpfully) documented - washing, sanding and filling the various imperfections - my receiver was in pretty good shape unlike his but I decided to go ahead and take the perfectionist route and fill the 2 or 3 almost unnoticablr 'dimples'

to add to his thread's information I've made some further preparation as documented below...

1:- As nonner242 already mentioned the front end of the upper receiver is pretty much nothing more than a lump or blob..very undetailed and a bit dissapointing for me as it's one of the features of the blaster I really love, so..I decided to try and dress it a bit.

Looking through my boxes and boxes of 'bits n' stuff' I found the broken tip off of my motorcycle trye valve and it immediately looked like a prime candidate - coupled with a couple of rubber tap washers that I also used on my previous blaster build (toy conversion - http://www.propsummit.com/viewtopic.php?t=2482&highlight= )

here's how it looks at the time being...

I was also not too impressed with some of the screw head castings, particularly on the thumb switches so I carefully scalpelled and sanded them off and replaced them with real screws - the added bonus being they are more sturdily held in place than just glued

while I had my bag of random bits out I also found two likely suspects for the screws on the mag housing

I then set about trying to join the rear of the bulldog frame and make it as seamless as possible, glueing it and going over and into the cracks with some filler

finally I carefully drilled out both ends of the sight rod to install two (non functioning) green LED's one at each end..there's only one fitted in the below pic

and here's just a closeup of the bottom of the mag housing to show the nice little details that this kit has..

My only worry at this stage is where to fit the on/off switch for the red LED's..there's no room in the mag housing....hhmmmm....so much more work to do...but so much fun to be had!

Respect
P.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far so good P. Keep up the good work as well as the pics
Baron Von Blondle
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Joberg! I'm fairly pleased so far.

today I've just been giving the grips some elbow grease...Nonner242 was right - it's exausting!! but they're almost clear enough looking now - photo's to come soon.

I wanted to ask any of the UK members here what paint they'd recommend for the receiver and gun metal parts?. I've used different metallic finish auto paints from halfords before on other projects that look 'okay' but I don't want anything on this blaster to look just 'ok'

I'm having difficulty finding anything like the Testors or Krylon that US members have advocated...any help from you brits?

Respect
P.
nonner242
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did another run on my grips today...its like Im addicted!
Looks like yours is comin along very nicely! I still have not found any small screws around my home. Its still my plan to replace afew fakies with real ones. I like your front receiver, it looks great. Again all my extra parts are for much larger guns, I got alot of tubes,brass,Electronics and pipe fixtures. I need to find some green LEDs too, got every other color tho...lol.
I like Alclad or Rub n Buff and another one I still have the bottle but label has been gone for years, and I cannot for the life of me remember the name. Well those are my 3 tops by far..
BTW Im jealous that yours thumbs slides look so nice. Mine are not worth using and impossible to fix. Im going to have to recreate them from sculpy or something.
Keep it up.
Baron Von Blondle
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I've had a few shaky moments with this build that I'll not go into for fear of looking silly Smile but...it's finally getting back on track and the progress so far is as follows...I still need to topcoat all the gunmetal parts (bolt, upper receiver etc..)

I am going for a 'sorta, kinda' movie style but not as rusted or knackered looking, I've gone for a flat black paint for the chamber cover and ammo pack but went over the top of that with a heavy dose of graphite shaving rubbed in. I have to say the graphite gives it an awesome finish! the black looks very heavy/sturdy and where I've rubbed it into the chromed areas (above the triggers, the triggers themselves) it's changed it from looking like a clean and shiny new toy to a weathered, used piece of kit.

I also had a happy accident whilst reverse masking the grip frame and triggers to apply the black trim - Once I started to remove the masking tape it took away a very thin layer of the silver paint that looks like authentic damage/wear to the finish :-

and lastly I finally found a cosy spot for the on/off switch in the bottom of the mag/ammo housing with the lights.

getting there.....

Respect
P.

Last edited by Baron Von Blondle on Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
nonner242
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice indeed!
I debated the graphite....but happy with my metallic wax..for now.
I get funny sometimes.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good work all in all: looking spiffy allright Cool
Baron Von Blondle
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

99.8% done...

Just need to fit the electronics and am waiting on some rub n buff to add some final little touches. I may weather it a touch more too but for now I'll let it be pretty much as is.

The final stages of construction were done using pins to strengthen the bond between parts and superglue.

My ONLY gripe with the project so far is the right side thumb switch which is not 100% perfect but I'm sure I'll survive Very Happy

Next project is to build/buy a display case, this baby is going up on the wall! my cats are far to curious to leave such a gem laying around inviting naughty paws....

Respect
P.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curious cats Shocked ??? Nice piece for sure...now onto the next project
Baron Von Blondle
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah I have two cats whose favourite game is 'lets push things off tables and shelves and see if they break'

Laughing

Respect
P.
Baron Von Blondle
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay as is my way I can't leave things alone...whilst waiting for the electronics to go in (yes I need help, I'm a dummy) I have been looking over the blaster for any little touches or improvements.

The first thing that ocurred to me was that the batteries for the LED's will be visible through the handgrips..way too 2011...so I found an old bit of circuit board which is about the right size and it fits snugly between the batteries and the grips...a mysterious circuit board perhaps for palm print ID or something equally as 2019 Very Happy

then inspired by Nonner242's gorgeous silver colouring I purchased myself some rub n buff metallic wax in silver leaf colour and WOW it really makes a difference..it's very hard to capture in a photograph but it looks exactly like honest to goodness polished steel now. very reflective and it even looks weighty...anyway here's some attempts to capture the gorgeous lustre....

I've used it also to lightly go over some of the details on the receiver/bolt area and although it's IMPOSSIBLE to photograph I can assure you that on the edges it really gives it a very realistic feeling

Respect
P.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Circuit board is interesting...not my cuppa, but no matter: it's your happiness that matter in the end.
Eric Ardros
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, P! Surprised

That's an awesome job you did on that kit. I've been eyeballing that kit on eBay for a while now, debating on whether or not to buy it.

Now that I've seen what can be done with it, I'm going to seriously consider it. The pricing is pretty fair too, considering all that comes with it.

Quick question from a newb to the forums and PKD building. For the polish you achieved on the amber grips, how exactly does one do that?

I've never done any prop builds with parts that required polishing, so that technique is completely unknown to me.
Staar
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, a lovely build!

Warmest congratulations mate..

Kind regards

MARK

jerry0503222

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far so good P. Keep up the good work as well as the pics

Baron Von Blondle
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm almost finished with the display/shadow box for the blaster.

My goodly wife installed all the electronics so it's all finished and ready for display.

I just got the deepest frame Ikea had to offer and have set about making a back for it that adds the extra cm needed to house the blaster comfortably.

Just need to paint the edges and screw in the hinges and it's going up on the wall in a prominent spot Very Happy

(Han Solo blaster added to fill te empty space - I will probably be putting some more BR memorabilia - passes, ID etc...and a poster or photo of Deckard)

Respect
P.
Baron Von Blondle
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the final display..well until I can get my hands one some more stuff for it Very Happy

Made the boyards box, my own take on the matchbook, the vidphon card, ID and weapons permit and the ammo box - thanks to the originators Very Happy

Respect
P.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely brilliant display. It captures the spirit of the movie too.

Andy
Staar
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy wrote:
Absolutely brilliant display. It captures the spirit of the movie too.

Andy

I agree.. gorgeous turnout!

Warm regards

MARK

joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent display for sure Cool ...but I got to warn you: first you start with the frame, then the display case and then the shelving unit it's addictive !
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: