FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Offworld MFG 2019-C Issues

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BeauChaotica

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:21 pm    Post subject: Offworld MFG 2019-C Issues Reply with quote

Hi all, this is only my second or third post so go easy!

I've found all the stuff on Propsummit very helpful when choosing and learning about the blaster replicas available on the market. After due consideration I purchased an Offworld C-type blaster from the OffworldMFG eBay account for the princely sum of £184.97, or $299.99.

After some trouble getting the thing through customs, I finally picked it up from the courier depot today, where I had to pay an additional £25 in customs charges for having it checked and taxed.

(Click to enlarge all thumbnails)

Upon unboxing I was immediately very happy with my purchase! This version has been shipped with the metal receiver already in place, and the gun has what feels like appropriate heft. Despite what I've read about the grip being too small it fits my hand (admittedly I'm not the biggest guy) perfectly.

However...the first thing I did after just soaking up the look of it was attempt to get the LEDs to work. This of course involves inserting a button-cell battery, something which most cheap toy companies have managed to master over the years.

Looking at the 'ammo pack' which houses the meagre electronics, a quick comparison to the instruction sheet tells me that the sheet may be out of date, but pressing on I attempt to insert the battery as described.

To my dismay it appears that a very small piece of the plastic rim of the battery holder is missing, leaving the contact on the side floating with no pressure to be applied at all.

Even when all contacts appear to be in place despite the battery not clinging by itself, I cannot get the LEDs to light.

Has anybody else had similar issues with the battery compartment? Do you think OffworldMFG would replace it for me?

--

The second issue I've come across has to do with the body of the blaster itself. The receiver bolt action is massively disappointing but aside from that it appeared all the moving parts functioned as intended. I opened the cylinder using its switch above the grip on the left hand side, and was happy with the rigidity of the system. With that in mind I closed it back up with a satisfying click, tested the trigger/hammer system and put it down to attempt the battery again.

Coming back to the blaster a couple of minutes later having failed once again to get the battery in place, I found that I was unable to open the cylinder a second time. I'm not sure whether part of the mechanism has broken inside but I can only assume this is the case, as when I pick up the blaster now the switch rattles around on its bearing and fails to open the catch.

Again..what do you think is the best course of action here, folks? I'm not an engineer but I've seen one on TV and I didn't expect such catastrophic failure of more than 50% of the active parts of the blaster.

Is the best way to get in touch with Offworld Co through their printed email address at "offworldmfg@yahoo.com"? If not, does anybody have any contact details which penetrate the PR department?

If I overlook these faults, and the fact that I daren't even try to force the ammo pack into the base of the blaster, then I'm quite happy with my purchase! I'm beginning to doubt, however that this was money well spent.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, I do tend to write a lot Laughing

I'm also acutely aware that I'm only eligible for full refund if I return the item within 7 days of receiving it (that's next Weds, the 17th) so any quick resply is much appreciated!

Look forward to your responses,
Beau

Edit: When I've got another pair of hands back home I'll try to get a picture of the part I think has broken on the electronics cradle..it's hard to make out but it just looks like there's a jagged piece of grey plastic on one side where it ought to continue the circular shape or perhaps have a vertical piece instead...if any of you guys have one to hand I could compare it to that'd be grand.

Edit 2: I'm off to a festival first thing tomorrow morning, and only return on Sunday so apologies for lack of replies until then. As an afterthought, do you think they would still replace the blaster/parts after their 7-day return policy expires? Hopefully it only applies to refunds.
clutch
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hate to say it, but you get what you pay for.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright Clutch, thanks for that helpfull response to a new member Rolling Eyes
I'm sure Andy and others will chime in concerning the OffWorld and its, sometimes, shortcomings...if I remember well, some of our members had the same issue with the battery and the LED if my memory serves me right. As far as customer service it seems that, when contacted, OffWorld tends to send replacement pieces in a timely manner (again, re-collection of passed events...cannot confirm for sure). Good luck
Bassnoir
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a horrendous time getting the led compartment in and out of the blaster...I was very reluctant to force it...and that is exactly what it took....it was the kind prodding of members here that got me to finally do it....it goes in and out just fine now and I'm sure the original problem was simply MY unwillingness to force the part and possibly a part jammed in shipping....as for the stuck cylinder...the adjustment for tbat was a careful push pull of the cylinder and body of the blaster...both of these problems had to do with a very little to zero tolerance between parts...the Offworld was my first blaster and I still have it and intend to keep it...granted it's been upgraded and repainted by Matsuo...(pictures in another thread "Offworld and PKD Repaint") it's become a sentimental favorite...
Daddy Solo
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My offworld was the 2nd blaster I purchased over the years. see my rebuild thread here -

http://propsummit.com/viewtopic.php?t=2716&highlight=

Don Parker or Mspaw make great metal replacement parts btw

As for the ammo box - yeah, it fits really tight in there to start off. Make sure you place the front end up in the housing 1st, then swing the back end of the ammo clip up in there and CAREFULLY, but forcefully push it up. The ABS plastic is much more durable than resin so it is generally much more forgiving to this kind of action.
As for the broken battery housing - I didn't have that problem so I can't speak for their repair/replacement policy.
Good luck, and welcome aboard! Smile
Morgan9731
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:39 pm    Post subject: That off world feeling Reply with quote

Well today, i spray painted the trigger guard with gun metal model spray, and it looks really good. I was offerred by a guy to make me one for 30 quid, but i am happy with the spray i've done..

The Off World is not the best piece in the world, but even with the most useless hands in the world (mine) you can still give it a personal touch, and make it that little bit better than the 500 other ones sold. I am making some bullets for it, as we speak, out of childrens medicine syringes would you believe. Watch this space. It will give it a more personal touch though...
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you're glad Wink with your work so far...eager to see some pics of course.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: