FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
CON-AM 27 deep space image
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always like those animations of real planets Cool Good luck with the project and eager to see pics of course.
Mark Sheppard
Community Member

Location: In my office playing golf, pouring drinks, making deals.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well last night was a wash ha ha... The moon was only a few degrees away from Jupiter, and the brightness totally overwhelmed the CCD sensor on my camera.. I got a couple hours of Jupiter and it's moons, but when I tried to process it, it is like the brightness on a video file is turned max.. I will try again tomorrow. Had fun though

"Did you really destroy the ENTIRE shipment?"

www.alienthemovie.blogspot.com
Vader
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Sheppard wrote:
Correct, it is a Lightbridge with 2 Axis EQ tracking platform, controlled with Digital setting circles and Speed control via optical encoders and laptop computer. I also have an iOptron GPS Cube with the original widefield F/5 refractor and I interchange it with a Vixen 90mm refractor for planets, then a Meade ETX-125 with GPS, electric focus, Barlows for both the CCD imager and visual eyepiece, and too numerous accessories to speak of. The radio telescope is called a IBRT, or "itty bitty radio telescope. It is a satellite dish I converted to a RT, some simple tuning hardware Channel Master 1004IF (RF choke and 3 LNB's), cheap cables that feed into a PC that can record the atomic hydrogen signature of the Sun.

[Getting ever so slightly green...]

That is one comprehensive set-up! I quite like the RT rig, in all its relative simplicity ... have you been able to observe any deep space objects with it?

My only scope at this point is a very early — second batch; way before the GPS version — ETX-125 (I fitted mine with the electric focus, too, as it happens), with a Barlow. And yes, I recognise the accessory fever ... these scopes just scream for accessories!
The one accessory I've never got around to is actually something to enable astrophotography, one way or another. A bit weird really, when one thinks about it...
Mark Sheppard
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Vader,

The radio telescope mainly pics up some small busrts. Now I have ordered a new system that is a Solar and Jupiter radio telescope that specifically is designed to pick up frequency 20 MHZ. This new telescope will look like a couple of masts with long wired and tensioners that will look like a very tall clotheslines, I got approved to be a NASA JOVE observation station, so they are sending the equipment to my home and my university is sponsoring it. SO with the computer software it will be a 24 hour radio observatory that anyone with internet will be able to listen to live feeds and also will have a live visual representation. So between Classes, astronomy, and models, I have very lttle time for a day job, But it is great being a professional student!

The ETX 125 is a great planetary scope. You should be able to upgrade it with the autostar 497 controller. Which BTW, I am getting ready to go out and photograph MARS in about a half an hour with my ETX 125.. I will post some pics!

Mark Sheppard
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well it is 2:46 AM mars is on the horizon, I am sitting in my back yard with wi-fi internet posting this. THe sky is dark, but a lot of blinking stars, meaning atmospheric distortion..but I am still going to try to get a shot of Mars,,, stayed up all night already

already shot beetlejuice

joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not too many probs with city lights?
Vader
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Sheppard wrote:
The ETX 125 is a great planetary scope. You should be able to upgrade it with the autostar 497 controller.

Mine did come with the Autostar -- to be specific, it's an ETX-125EC. That "EC" tends to get dropped, for some reason... Handy piece of kit, anyway; not too shoddy with deep space objects either, I think, for being so compact. The Orion Nebula for instance looks quite good through it.

Ah, those days! I remember what it was like, being a professional student!

Did you get a shot of Mars in the end?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> The Coffee Shop All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: