FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
PAPER PROPS - The Magazines Reimagined
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 21, 22, 23  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BR26354
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: KILL Reference Reply with quote

Replicant 13 wrote:
On a related topic, in my search for other reference I ran across a possible source for KILL.

When starting my initial re-create of the KILL magazine cover, having done a version that was a more literal duplication, I decided to create a new illustration for my updated version. While Googling for reference "doberman" images, I ran across a movie poster for "The Doberman Gang" (1973). I immediately noticed that the dogs were wearing collars very similar to that shown in Southwell's cover drawing. In closer inspection, I noticed that one small dog in particular bore a strong resemblance to the one on the KILL cover.

I know that under the pressures and time constraints of the production (and especially with BR), to meet deadlines it often becomes a matter of grabbing any reference that's available. It would be my guess that Southwell might well have had access to this poster or promotional pictures and referred to it, for a quick solution. Obviously he did his own work on this.

It's a guess and of course I could be way wrong, but it looks surprisingly close. I don't know if this has been previously covered here or elsewhere(?)

HAB1 - R13

Replicant 13--I recall from the time of the original release in 1982, that STARLOG had a color picture in an article on Blade Runner, that clearly although small, showed the KILL cover with the collared doberman.
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:29 am    Post subject: KILL Reference Reply with quote

BR26354 -

I assume you are referring to the same picture (I show at far right) that accompanied Sammon's original article in CINEFANTASTIQUE. In fact I think someone mentioned other publications (Starlog?) using excerpts at some point with (or without) appropriate permission or credit.

---

However, I think I missed your point(?) Is the Starlog image somehow different from the image I posted?

I was only suggesting that the art for the BR cover may have been inspired by the "Doberman" movie poster, or perhaps photos from that production. Simply a guess on my part.

HAB1 - R13
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:42 am    Post subject: Building The Perfect DROID - Reply with quote

Thanks again, Joberg.

Yes. And it's origins may always remain a mystery . . .

Probably just a composite of a circuit board and some random industrial image.

HAB1 - R13

Last edited by Replicant 13 on Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want to say that I can see that the amount of work put into "recreating" these is far and above anything I have seen before. I hope you continue with the idea of not just making these as screen accurate reproductions, but as a fully realized designs, idealized using the originals as reference. It is this type of stuff that makes the world of BR come to life, which is to me what this site is all about. As much as I love the reality of the actual props themselves and their history, many were not meant to be seen up close, or for too long. I am sure the artists working on the film, if they had a lot of time to work on it more, they would be much closer to your versions. What you are doing here is nothing short of extraordinary, and a great example of the passion so many of us have for this film, and its production. Please do not stop Very Happy, and please understand that you should be able to charge whatever you want for these, and not be pressured into giving anything away.

As far as the FASH cover, I know I have seen it more completely elsewhere. I am going to dig out more of my magazines to see if any show more of it. I checked the fan club newsletter, but it only had the alternative BR logo typeface designs. Cool all on it's own. I know I have seen it though, but may just be remembering the behind the scenes stuff on the disc set.

Also, the left hand side of the DROID face also seems to me to be a warped architectural image.

Thank you again for sharing it here. As they say, you have "Mad Skills".

Andy
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:05 pm    Post subject: THANKS! Reply with quote

Andy -

Thank you for the kind comments. It's recognition like this that helps to fuel my "obsession".

I have too many ideas regarding BR to stop now. I appreciate the recognition from all those who have responded thus far.

Let me know if FASH turns up somewhere. I will peruse "Dangerous Days" again myself . . . However, should anyone have a screencap that would be great!

As always,
Have A Better One! - R13
BR26354
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replicant 13--no, no, I was saying that the STARLOG article was a good visual reference. I didn't buy that Cinefantastique unfortunately; the cost of being a 12 year old, and having to make tough spending decisions LOL.
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:33 pm    Post subject: Dollars and Sense Reply with quote

Understandable. Yes, even for me - a slightly older replicant at the time - CINEFANTASTIQUE was pricey. Luckily, it only came out quarterly, as I recall.

HAB1 - R13
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:57 pm    Post subject: Deckard's Birthday Reply with quote

Does anyone OffWorld know Deckard's birth/inception date or his apparent age in 2019?

I know his doppelganger was about 39 at the time BR was being made. Looking for more than a guess, but haven't found anything, as yet.

- R13

Last edited by Replicant 13 on Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:04 pm    Post subject: Not fish scales. Snake! Reply with quote

Andy -

But, of course. You could be right. I should have considered a fish-eyed image of a building, since the DROID object appears to contain a window. Good catch, but what building? Anyone?

- R13
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:32 pm    Post subject: FUTURE NEW-R(13) Reply with quote

As I make adjustments and tweek details, I am beginning to see a light at the end of my initial quest.

With the addition of the FASH Cover, I count nine (9) covers in all:

MONI, DROID, KILL, DORGON, CREATIVE EVOLUTION, the fashion covers - ZORD and FASH, and the two adult covers - HORN and KROTCH.

Of course, if any others are brought to light, I will attempt their inclusion as well. In the meantime, there's the back-cover ads and the collateral pieces, as well as a number of other ideas I want to investigate further. Some derivative, some purely original.

So. If I have overlooked any of the original covers, please advise.

More to come. - R13
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:37 pm    Post subject: PLEASURE MAGS Reply with quote

As with Zhora's serpent, there are magazines that corrupt man.

Watch them as they take the pleasure from the paper . . .

- R13

Last edited by Replicant 13 on Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:45 am; edited 1 time in total
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if it helps with scaling these magazines, or just having something good to wrap the covers around, but I remember reading they used OMNI magazines as the basis for a bunch of these magazines. One I think used the same logo, but just moved letters around to write MONI. They definately have the right aged and style content for these magazines.

Andy
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. I read that somewhere as well. It seemed obvious from the start that MONI was OMNI-inspired. (My favorite magazine at the time - still have my premiere copy, in the mailing sleeve!). I decided to make my covers larger, with additional bleed so that I could do more with them and trim them to fit a variety of magazines. Hence the poster idea.

Although in the pics of the newsstand it DOES appear that most were about the same size, again I decided to take a little creative license with the sizes I have experimented with so far. There is such a wide variety of sizes available today.

Personally, I think it's a bit boring to make them all the same, but I may offer them at one size, simply for convenience. Or I may only offer them as lower rez digitals to be used as screen-savers or backgrounds for your iPad.

Again, I hope for some constructive feedback, once I get to that point.

If I do decide to offer these in some printed form, I will pick common magazines for size, so that collectors will know what fits. Like ESQUIRE for HORN, or something larger like D or INTERVIEW for ZORD. Of course any magazine will do if the art is slightly larger. It can be cut down to fit, as I have done several times with my mocks.

Lots to consider. Thanks again, Andy - R13

Last edited by Replicant 13 on Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All very good work Rep13!...I haven't being excited about mag covers for a long time until you started tackling the subject on this board.
I had an Esquire magazine from the early '50s and the size was the same as Life at the time (quite big à la Interview mag)...over the years, many of those sizes were reduced for cost and transport also.

It would be a challenge/cost to have many sizes of course, but, on the other hand, it would make for interesting covers/conversation pieces for sure.
Keep up the good work Cool
jameth
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't recall anyone suggesting the work should be given away for free but maybe I missed it.

Although I am hoping for digital files I will definitely be one of your customers either way.

I'm working on fixing my one magazine, making several more, and building some lit and non lit street signs, adds, etc.

So I am very excited about your amazing work and look forward to adding it to my collection.
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:04 pm    Post subject: Sizing Reply with quote

Yes. Over the years, with changes in design and publishing, costs of mailings and the impact of the web, sizes have changed, and sadly, many publications have faded into oblivion, including CINEFANTASTIQUE (even after it's reboot a few years ago).

I will have to take a survey of current pubs when, how and if I decide to offer these. I will try to make them a standard size, or allow enough extra "bleed" that they can be trimmed to fit any available magazine in that size range. . . . You'd be able to read that gossip mag and still look cool!
Smile

Thanks, Joberg. HAB1 - R13
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:42 pm    Post subject: Ripping Art Reply with quote

No, Jameth, but plagiarism is always a threat to originality. Hollywood is probably the biggest offender.

While it may seem a weak argument to some, countless hours go into the projects on this forum (along with a lot of experience - and some pride) and to see something you do repackaged or reworked in a way that was not intended, or copied in a sub-standard fashion and sold by others on eBay (often as "their creation") is sad for all fans - those here, and all uninformed collectors.

As I said earlier, like photography or prop building, to hand over the masters would be foolish at best - without significant compensation, but I may well offer merged images ("flattened" TIFFs or PDFs) that could be output as needed, so they would be digital. Of course there will be differences, but hopefully those will be acceptable. 'Nuf said. Smile

I must say, I appreciate your enthusiasm and applaud your own creative efforts with your magazines and street signs. Go for it!

In the words of J.F., it could be said, "These are my friends. I make them!" That's the way I sometimes look at these.

HAB1 - R13
jameth
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally understand your concern.

What amazes me is how truly great your stuff looks. Like your at a current magazine designing adds.

Again awesome work!!!!!!!!!
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:33 pm    Post subject: Experience Reply with quote

Well, as many of the contributors here, I've been in related businesses for quite a while. I know the processes that were used back then, as well as those in play now. So it's a blending.

It may seem trite, even obvious, but like anything of true value, it takes time and patience. It becomes easier with experience, but that only evolves with time and practice.

- R13
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To come back to the FASH mag (and Fred mentioned the English photog known for the style of his pics in the '60s and '70s)...the more I look at that model the more she makes me think of Twiggy...but without hair.

I do recall though, an advert for "Courège" (a French designer of Prêt-à-Porter) and a similar pose with a similar model for the French mag "ELLE" in the mid-'70s...or maybe it's my imagination playing tricks to me Confused

As for the upper left fonts/text it looks like it was used on those Smirnov bottles that you can see on the counter of the noodle bar at the beginning of the movie. (I think Fred also posted a project/discussion on Propsummit about a year ago).
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 5 of 23

Jump to: