FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Screen Accurate Deckard Broken Fingers (Appearance ONLY!) ;)

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Costumes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mitch Magnum PKD
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:59 pm    Post subject: Screen Accurate Deckard Broken Fingers (Appearance ONLY!) ;) Reply with quote

Hey everyone,
Apologies in advance if this has been addressed before... I did a few searches, but wasn't getting anywhere.

I'll be putting together my best Deckard du jour outfit for a Sci-Fi/Comic Book/Fantasy Con here in Halifax called (appropriately) HAL-CON this Fall and I was thinking about bandaging up my fingers in a fashion matching Deck's crumpled digits in the final moments of the film.

Has anyone done this before for this sort of thing?

Anyone have any helpful hints, words of wisdom, materials suggestions or eye-opening photo-reference?

Please share and help a fellow out if you can.

All the Best,
Mitch
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting idea Mitch (we'll wait anxiously for the pics of course)...I don't think anybody has done it before...I don't even remember what Deck uses as a "bandage"...I think he rips a piece of clothe or is it his kerchief?
I'm sure others will chime in with the right answer
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like an excuse for me to watch the movie again. Very Happy All I know I can say offhand is that is his right hand pinkie and ring finger that get busted, and he ties the bandage into a knot.

Andy
The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always got the impression it was a piece either ripped from his tie, or his overcoat.

Now if you're talking about the bandaging when he gets to his apartment, that I'm pretty sure is a couple of tongue depressors (popsickle sticks) and surgical tape.

"We began to recognize in them a strange obsession..."

http://fcomin.cgsociety.org/gallery/
chew
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always have tied my pinky and ring finger with a black rag when I dressed up as Deck for Halloween!!! with my teeth...
Mitch Magnum PKD
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys,
Thanks very much for the input... I think I know what I'm going to do with this now (and frankly, I feel like a bit of a fool for not thinking of it earlier)

Thanks to joberg and The Loyalizer mentioning that it was likely meant to be a strip of material from Deckard's coat, I remembered that back when I'd originally ordered my coat from Abbyshot, I asked them to please send along an additional small piece of the coat material because at the time I was planning to send it along to a hatmaker I know with the intention of having him make me a custom Deckard-ish fedora (sorta in the style of the Blade Runner that never was). My thinking was that putting the material into his hands we'd have a better shot at matching up colors that worked well together...

Anyway, that plan never really got legs and so I never sent the material out to my hatter, I've still got it here.
It measures about 3 &3/4 inches by 4 &1/2 inches (picture below)

My thinking is that I'll cut this little swatch of material into four long little strips and get someone with a sewing machine to stitch them together end-to-end so that I'm left with a strip of Deck-coat-material that measures about 7/8 of an inch wide and about 18 inches in length.

Once it's time to gear up for the Con, I'll get it wet and wrap that long strip of material around my right hand pinky and ring finger (nods to andy) a few times and then tie it into a little knot with my TEETH (salutes chew)

So, what do you fellas think?
Should do the job?
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good from where I stand
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is conspicuously lacking in screen grabs Wink

Andy
Mitch Magnum PKD
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed.
Confused
Please, somebody with the technical know-how to do so, throw a few screen grabs up here to help a fella out...
I feel like I'm on the right path to getting the correct look but I sure wouldn't mind the extra help of a few nice big clear screen shots that might show some additional detail...

For my part, I promise to post a few photos of the end result showing how it all turned out (and thereby "paying it forward" ... Rolling Eyes I hate myself for writing that) to the next generation of BR Fans who are curious about trying something similar.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just thinking: if Deckard ripped a piece of his coat to make the bandage, then, to be screen accurate, you'll to rip a piece off your precious coat also Crying or Very sad ...not good (are we sure it's from his coat? Confused )
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my recent watching of the film, I can say that the fabric is definately darker and thinner than the coat material. It appears to be pretty much black, but in a couple of scenes you can almost discern a bit of a pattern on the cloth. It seems to me they are implying it was his shirt that he ripped to make the bandage. It also had two long tied ends hanging off of the knot. I will try and post some quickie screen caps later.

Andy
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a ton of different angles that can be seen if you watch the film in those scenes.

Andy
Mitch Magnum PKD
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joberg wrote:
I was just thinking: if Deckard ripped a piece of his coat to make the bandage, then, to be screen accurate, you'll to rip a piece off your precious coat also Crying or Very sad ...not good (are we sure it's from his coat? Confused )

Laughing
joberg, Thank You. You just helped me to realize and properly define the limitations of my desire to be Screen Accurate!
That is to say, I have decided effective immediately that I shall keep my coat intact and instead work with the little strap of extra coat material that I'm having stitched together even as I write this.
I also say this despite the fact that -in light of these great screen shots andy's provided (you're awesome, by the way, andy)- I actually agree that it seems as though it's perhaps a different material altogether... I'm actually starting to think that it's the short (and normally hidden) end of the dark wool tie Deckard wears during his visit to J.F.'s...

But y'know what? Maybe when all is said and done I'll just soak my strip of coat material in a muddy puddle of water for a few minutes before I start wrapping it around my fingers. Should do the job.
And besides, I've never worried too much about being overly concerned about what I've always considered to be some of the (forgive me) less "important" details.
Hell, I'm not even overly concerned that the pants I'm probably going to wear have a couple of pleats to 'em... I'm just so pleased that I found some pants with wide belt loops (that weren't made for women!)
Wink
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly could have been his tie. I think by that point he was not wearing the checkered one, but the black tie with the triangular design on it. He isn't seen tearing it, just tying it with his teeth.

Andy
ridleyville
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of interest, Stan Winston Studios were first approached to supply prosthetic broken fingers, as well a Tyrells head and other mechanical types of effects.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TFS ridleyville...would've been interesting to see what kind of stuff they'd had come up with
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Costumes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: