FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
What makes the Deckard Trousers: Wide Belt Loops or No Pleat

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Costumes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mitch Magnum PKD
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:26 pm    Post subject: What makes the Deckard Trousers: Wide Belt Loops or No Pleat Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
Just wanted to get a bit of feedback and opinion from you guys that, frankly, I wouldn't trust to anyone else.

As I've mentioned elsewhere at propsummit, in mid-November I'll be attending a local Sci-Fi Fantasy Comic Book Con called HAL-CON. On one of the days it's running I'll be getting decked out as Deckard and with this in mind I've been doing my best to get my outfit to a more completed state than it's been in previously.
A couple of months ago I found couple of not-too-bad-at-all salt & pepperrish pairs of pants that looked, at first glance like they might do fine... BUT they do have some characteristics that make them quite different from each other...
and that's where YOU fellas come in:
I'm wondering if you'd like to give me some feedback and let me know which ones you think best pull off the look, even if neither one is dead-on screen accurate.

The first pair have a couple of nice, wide belt loops right up front (which, when teamed up with the fact that they're in the right general color scheme, SOLD me on them immediately)... BUT they've also got plenty of big pleats that - I think - give the pants an overly wide, overly big and baggy look that I think really comes out when I'm wearing them... maybe a bit too reminiscent of the Zoot Suit era.

While the other pair have the benefit of no pleats (which gives them a look that I think is far closer to what we see on screen), however, they lack the wide belt loops and instead feature loops that are not only thin, but that are also unevenly numbered: Up front there's 2 on one side, 1 on the other.
And make no mistake, it's not that one is MISSING, it's that this is the actual design of these pants (maybe someone here knows pants stuff well enough to know the purpose of this... but I sure don't)

Anyway, I'd love to know what you guys might think.
Thanks for any help you might be able to offer.
Mitch
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Mitch, you're so far removed from a Zoot Suit that you'd need not to worry about the subject Very Happy (but that's another topic altogether).

As "pleats", and loops go, you'll have many designs for sure, some are military traditions passed on over the centuries and others are quite "new" if you get my drift.

Pleats: 2, 4, or 6 max...or none according to the style...I prefer the first pair of pants: very RepDetect and better loops. (nice colour also).

No pleats and funky loops...some loops were "missing" for some kind of practical reasons: you have a holster and your ammo is at the front of your pants and you don't need the loop there (think Army and Officer for that one).

As for the belt (I'll talk GQ for a moment here) the belt buckle should always be in line with the flap covering the zipper of the pants that is: you should close your belt from right to left and passing the extra length of the aformentioned belt to the left of your body into the loops.

Wew!...but as I said: first pair of pants are my fav Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Costumes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: