FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
In-universe Nostromo Crew Slicker

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FenGiddel
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:40 pm    Post subject: In-universe Nostromo Crew Slicker Reply with quote

Could use some advice on this project. I have stencils for the W-Y 'Egyptian wings' logos, which I plan to spray paint on the sleeve cuffs, and another stencil to use to spray paint 'Nostromo' across the back shoulders.

Fabric paints were suggested as being hardier and standing up to wear and strain. Problem is, I cannot find fabric paints in anything other than 'tie-dye' and other horrid flashy colors marketed for adolescents.

I have photo-faked the insignia for effect until I finalize plans.

So, I've opted to try model spray paint, on the assumption that if I got it on the slicker by accident, NOTHING would remove it short of destructiion by gasoline or other solvents. I figure if it does flake or crack, I can weather the rest of the garment to match.

Anyone have an idea of what model paints (Testors) might do to a polyvinylchloride (PVC) rain slicker? Unless it will melt it on contact, I'm thinking it's worth a try since the slicker was a freebie.

A photo of my idea follows:

joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used paint made to mimic the look of stained glass. It's thick (you can reduce it with a solvent made by the same company...prob is that I don't remember the name of said company Confused )

It's better to apply it with a paint foam brush; dont' worry about the streaks, they'll dissapear when the paint is dry and if you use some kind of masking material: i.e. tape, masking tape or other, you'll have to remove it before the paint dries completely, if not the paint will go with your tape egdes.

To make sure your PVC doesn't melt, put a little paint on a piece inside the coat and see if there's a reaction.
Good luck
FenGiddel
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are couple pictures of my humble finished project. I got the 'Nostromo" stencil from some very nice and helpful folks at Custom Cut Stencil. (I highly recommend them for quick turnaround and quality product!)

The Weylan-Yutani wings on the cuffs are all mine, however, cut from the same material the "Nostromo" stencil was made of, which is polyethylene. The wings ran a bit since I didn't get the stencil firmly adhered, but hey, it's all fun, right?

I used Testor's spray model paints and they did not eat the PVC fabric of the slicker. I didn't want "Nostromo" to stand out starkly, but should've used a flat finish. And the wings are low-key, too. Maybe only catch the eye of a sharp film fan, eh?

I think I'll leave the patch alone; let it weather naturally.

So there it is, a rain slicker for a crewman of the fictional cargo vessel for a rainy day planetside....

Last edited by FenGiddel on Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:04 am; edited 1 time in total
panaflex
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is fun. Cool to see people being creative here. I've been thinking of doing a jacket as well. This is lighting the fire again.
Thanks,
B.
nexus42
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great look to the jacket, love how you've kept it simple and understated!

joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lookin' good...maybe a pair of wing under the Nostromo logo at the front would "close" the design nicely Wink
FenGiddel
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joberg wrote:
Lookin' good...maybe a pair of wing under the Nostromo logo at the front would "close" the design nicely Wink

That does sound like a good idea. What color were you thinking? (I think I'd get a patch-style, but not sure on color.)
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same coloured wings as the ones on the sleve cuffs. (and of the width of the base of the badge to make it neat and clean looking Wink )
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Alien Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: