FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
RPF down?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a mess...the "RPF" is in danger of loosing a lot of valuable members and that would be a shame. I guess it'll take several months/years to restore faith into those who've already left or the ones thinking of leaving that board Confused
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't say I go there much anymore. With all this including some of their banner adds being infected with trojans, I think I will stay a way for a while longer. I have other sources to get the news from there.

Andy
clutch
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the perpetrator got mod status on the real RPF. Shortly thereafter, the real rpf goes boom. What a cluster-fk.
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeez. It's got to be a personal matter. Whoever it is, they are going after the RPF with a vengeance.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, as we speak the RPF (or should I say Thereplicapropforum) is down again. Everytime you clicked the post, you had a blank page with : no connection Shocked this is not going well for our fellow prop builders/collectors and the likes Confused
amish
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not believe it to be a personal matter. Sites like the RPF which are considered profitable are attacked like this everyday. The domain name was stolen and then it was held at ransom for $34k.

What caused all the other stuff to happen was when the script kiddies of the RPF decided to launch an illegal DDOS against the attackers fake RPF. Regardless of the moral right, the pissed off a hacker that gained access enough to the RPF to take control, take a domain name, download a backed up database of the site, and who knows what else.

In order to accomplish at minimum stealing a domain name that takes a great bit of effort as the hacker would need to have authorizations go back and forth by between the owner and the registrar, he posed as Art and communicated directly with GoDaddy.

That is huge, also to get the backup database of the RPF from 12-27-2011, he needed either access to the RPF's ftp site or to Art's machine or his hosting companies machines.

In any case, this is not the people you want to mess with online. Best advice is to let the law settle this legally and hopefully the domain will be transferred back. Otherwise, its like kicking a hornets nest what some are doing at the RPF.

edit : the 34k part is hearsay.
BR12819
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may have started out as a simple site hijack, but after all the harrasment that was visited upon him by some of the more zealous members of the RPF, this may have irked the hacker into taking things to another level. We'll see how this all turns out.

Just read that their is a second RPF Facebook page one real, one set by the hacker.

All said, this is going to be a long process and I hope one day the RPF returns to what it was before this incedent.

Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, based on some things Art has posted on his FB page, it looks like a banned member may be involved in some way. Not that he or she is a hacker, but is involved.

Like most thing with the RPF, they like to be elusive and secretive in their comments.

Whatever the case is, I'm going to keep an eye on it in the event that it impacts me personally somehow.

Yes, the hacker(s) even cloned their Facebook page, and setup a fake facebook page. It's a full on attack now.
Fangorn81
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geez.

First it takes me forever to finally remember to apply for an account during one of their windows.

Then the whole site gets throw into a hackathon of chaos!

I won't be visiting (well, I won't be logging in anyway) for a while. And I went through the trouble today of changing my password on like a jillion sites...just in case.
Evil or Very Mad

Joah Mahan
amish
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fangorn81 wrote:
Geez.

First it takes me forever to finally remember to apply for an account during one of their windows.

Then the whole site gets throw into a hackathon of chaos!

I won't be visiting (well, I won't be logging in anyway) for a while. And I went through the trouble today of changing my password on like a jillion sites...just in case.
Evil or Very Mad

Did the same thing, most are insignificant, but it is the places that I don't remember being registered at which worries me.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How well are we protected on Propsummit? This isn't a malicious question, I know Amish and others are doing a great job at keeping this site fairly free of spam and the likes...but with certain people out there one must wonder
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The site has been pretty uninteresting for me for a long time now. his attempt at making money off of it is most likely the reason for what happened. The ad banners had a few adds that had Trojans in them, and it is likely Art's computer got infected and compromised from that, and then once they had control of his system, the rest they say is history. most of these types of hackers come from China and Russia as well as the middle east now. Also as much as Art wants to say it isn't GoDaddy, this seems to happen to a lot of GoDaddy sites. This is about money, not revenge, but it may serve Art's and GoDaddy's interest to pretend it is an act of revenge. I am just glad I haven't been there in a long time, and don't plan on visiting anytime soon either. RIP RPF...It was nice knowing you when you were an underground fan site, and not just another commercial venture.

Andy
amish
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all,

As far as protection, we are only as strong as the password securing this forum, which is fairly strong

Otherwise, I would believe that the RPF was hacked possibly from Art's or another Admin's pc getting hacked. In order to steal a domain, you need to authorize it as the owner and it sets off a chain of emails between godaddy and the new registrar.

Also, the fact that a copy of the backup database of the rpf was stolen points to either a compromised password or computer. Not sure which, but there was a big breakdown somewhere in security.

Unfortunately at the moment, the RPF has many members attempting to attack the "hacker" which now "owns" the RPF domain. What is unfortunate is that it may be hosted on a legitimate host meaning that those attacking it are attacking something that the host deems a legitimate. Also, their ISPs do not care if they are morally right, only that they are committing an illegal attack on someone's website. For the time being it looks like nobody has been nailed by their ISP. However, if someone reported the new site as promoting and not discouraging these attacks against the rpf . com, it could mean bigger trouble for Art and the contributing members there.

It seems the younger audience that the RPF has gained in recent years may cause further problems by thinking it is cool to provoke what appears to be a very savvy hacker who probably makes their living doing this.

As someone said on the RPF, don't poke the bear.
Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found the place to be an invaluable source for reference and inspiration since i started exploring my non BR prop making and collecting
and have been lucky enough to come across some remarkably talented and generous people that have really helped me out.
Im very hopefull that if the thing falls completely apart that someone can pick up the pieces.
clutch
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They've already put up a vid on youtube saying to spam the hell out of the site...
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if putting up posts that the fake site is fake, and telling members to go over to the new site is really "Spamming" but here is the vid...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDLSHJEopNU

Andy
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's a mess and as others have said, I think the young Padawans at the RPF saw fit to seek revenge on the Russian hackers...bad idea since these guys are doing these types of hacks all the time and are very good at it.
Hopefully, the members can re-group and try to put the site back on the map or just exist on another brand new board.
clutch
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy wrote:
Not sure if putting up posts that the fake site is fake, and telling members to go over to the new site is really "Spamming" but here is the vid...

Andy

Have you been to the fake site? Telling the Ruskies to shove dicks up their arses is not really telling members to go to the new site.
amish
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone else said already, trying to fight these people is like bringing a pea shooter to a nuke fight, you just don't do it. Best course is to follow proper channels and not piss them off.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clutch wrote:
andy wrote:

Andy

Have you been to the fake site? Telling the Ruskies to shove dicks up their arses is not really telling members to go to the new site.

That was (supposed to be) my point actually, They told people in the video to go over there to "spam" the fake site and tell people to go to the new address/real site, but I think it came accross as "go troll it", which is a bad idea. I think they should have stayed specific in the video.

Andy
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> The Coffee Shop All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: