FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Tsing Tao Awesomeness
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nexus6
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy wrote:
Tsing Tao found!?

http://ameblo.jp/allbr/day-20071030.html

Smirnoff De Czar

DISCO!

That looks like IT. Amazing.

In other news, I guess we can look forward to a bunch of these bottles showing up on e-Bay for $100 - $500 each. Rolling Eyes
Art Deckard
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nexus6 wrote:
andy wrote:
Tsing Tao found!?

http://ameblo.jp/allbr/day-20071030.html

Smirnoff De Czar

DISCO!

That looks like IT. Amazing.

In other news, I guess we can look forward to a bunch of these bottles showing up on e-Bay for $100 - $500 each. Rolling Eyes

If the only Smirnoff De Czar bottles of that particular design are 'pre-russian revolution' and Christies have made replicas (like the one on that Japanese site) then the price is going to be scary.

I've just read that 'Smirnoff De Czar' special reserve was introduced to the US market in 1980 and then discontinued due to lack of interest in 1982, which would tie in with BR (IF its the same bottle design)
Once-bitten
Banned!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure looks like it! Great find!!
nickdaring
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, this bottle is really hard to find. I figured out the brand a few months back but have found nil so far.

Now that the secret is out, it'll be a nice little bidding war next time one pops up on the bay.

Nick
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was posted on the front page over at Bladezone, that is why I posted it. BTW their was one on ebay that ended without a bid just before the news came out Sad. It does say the the bottle was only around briefly for the same time period as the movies filming.
Once-bitten
Banned!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps OTHER bottles that are similiar may take some boost in sales...found the one on the left while looking for the one on the right:

Also keep in mind, while the Smirnoff "de Czar" bottle (on right) was undoubtedly the proto-type for the BR Tsin-Tao Bottle, they clearly changed it to get rid of the large glass square on the front where the label goes.
Nexus6
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once-bitten wrote:
... they clearly changed it to get rid of the large glass square on the front where the label goes.

or they just kept that side turned away from the camera during shooting... Wink
Once-bitten
Banned!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a pretty obvious choice that Ridley Scott could have made but, being the "attention to detail FREAK" that we all know he is,ie: having other bottles made from scratch, magazines made from scratch, a couple of city blocks built up with neon from scratch...etc...

I doubt he would have wanted to remind the set people to turn those pesky bottle's around for every shot they appeared in...
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I think it may be more likely that since the bottles were made as an homage to an historical bottle that the prop house had some bottles made to look like the origionals for possible historical epics. I seriously doubt they would have spend thousands to make bottles they could have bought from the store or got from a prop house. I am leaning toward the labels being turned away for most of the shots myself, but there could be even more to this story including another company making replica bottles off of the same original. I say no way they made them from scratch though. This isn't that important of a plot point and they aren't ever shown in that much of a close up as the Johnny Walker bottles are. Ridley may be into details but he isn't stupid, nor are his prop masters.
spinner44.com
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something to add here is they (prop techs) don't have a lot of time on their hands unlike some of us. You either have a bottle on hand or buy one and slap a new label on it. Really simple.

-
Once-bitten
Banned!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gotta disagree with you guy's on this one.

YES---it make's sense to US that they would simply turn the label away from the camera, but that doesn't take into account copy rights...I have always heard that an object has to be changed at least 10% in order to use it ON-SCREEN without asking permission.
It also makes sense that they probably got some Historical
"Look-a-like's" on a back-lot somewhere.
More likely I think, since the BR Whiskey Bottle has never been identified, looks to me in some scenes to be either plastic or a roto-casted copy that it and the Tsin Tao Bottle were undoubtedly made from scratch...I have no trouble thinking that The Tsin-Tao Bottle was or at least COULD have very easily been duplicated from one side of the Czar Bottle.
I don't think this would make Ridley Scott "Stupid"...It Just makes him Ridley Scott.

When I look at ALL the layered detail in the movie AND when I see something new every time I watch it.... I'm going with the overly-obsessive-attention-to-detail-director on this one.

Last edited by Once-bitten on Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:00 am; edited 1 time in total
BeastMaster
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone got any high def-grabs of the bottles staring role?
Once-bitten
Banned!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was in the FC that I first clearly saw the horizontal lines on the Tsin-Tao Bottle.
spinner44.com
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks to me like they just removed the label. It appears to me that the molded indent for the label can still be seen on the bottle with the woman holding it.

Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They didn't make any bottles from scratch. They hardly made anythin from scratch.

In a film with borrowed neon signs, upside down TV's, almost entirely found items used inside the spinner cockpit and Deckard's apartment, you are fooling yourself to think that a glass bottle used on screen for what, 10 seconds, is custom made.

I think Spinner44 has pretty much debunked that idea with his photos anyway.
spinner44.com
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once-bitten wrote:
More likely I think, since the BR Whiskey Bottle has never been identified, looks to me in some scenes to be either plastic or a roto-casted copy that it and the Tsin Tao Bottle were undoubtedly made from scratch...

Having spoken to Tom Southwell on a few occasions, I sincerely think you couldn't be further from the truth. As he explained they were under extreme pressure to output work. They did so by using existing designs and modifying them. In the end it's a business and while they went over budget, they weren't as crazy as some of us fans. Laughing

-
spinner44.com
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, just got off the phone with a very knowledgeable BR inside source who stated that Art Director David Snyder said himself thet all the bottles as well as most all of the detail set dressings were FOUND items. The whiskey bottle included.

I also asked abouot there being a badge in the wallet. He said he is 95% sure there was no badge in the wallet. Only an ID card photos and various other cards, but no badge. Pretty much what Tom Southwell had told me.

Once-bitten
Banned!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stand corrected.
That glass frame on the bottle shows up pretty clearly in those pics!

What I meant by "scratch" was that it would be a pretty simple process to cast one side of the bottle(the side without the glass label frame) and duplicate it to make a perfect bottle all round.

I had NEVER heard that the Whiskey Bottle was a found object.
The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF the whiskey bottle was a found object, then how is it that in 20+ years, nobody's ever come across one like it?

I get the feeling that while the Tsing Tao bottle might have been a found object, the whiskey bottle was something custom made to give the film its layered future look. After all the whiskey bottle shows up prominently on screen much moreso than the Tsing Tao bottle does.

It makes sense that they'd have the whiskey bottle custom made, but not the Tsing Tao one, as that is on screen for mere seconds, and could for all we know have been a random grab off the rack by the actor playing the vendor.

"We began to recognize in them a strange obsession..."

http://fcomin.cgsociety.org/gallery/
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My feeling is that the wiskey bottle is made from a wine bottle by the look of the spout. Many small wine companies make very limited wines in limited bottles. Supposedly the bottle can also be seen in the movie version of the musical Annie which I believe may have come out the same year. So if it were custom made it was possibly made for a prop house as a rental or bought from an artisan that was selling very small runs of them. They might make some fakes out of plastic for the background, but I highly doubt they would have made a bunch of glass ones for the movie, again because though it was featured prominently, it played little to no point in advancing the plot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10

Jump to: